Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
2018-19 Sid was the best player in the league and no one can tell me different.

Wasnt that long ago. He’s not at his peak anymore, but he can control shifts. A lot of his gifts (brain, strength, coordination) should age better than say someone who plays more like McDavid.

Also, OC in next game?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If only we could pinpoint the moment when the 1st line started clicking, we might be able to isolate what the problem was.
giphy.gif

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Impressive few wins without 3 regular d-men.

When Petterson/Matheson/Riikola are back their will be some interesting lineup decisions to make. POJ has been good so far, and Ruh has been decent as well. The emergence of POJ allows Ceci to stay in the press box.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Wasnt that long ago. He’s not at his peak anymore, but he can control shifts. A lot of his gifts (brain, strength, coordination) should age better than say someone who plays more like McDavid.
I think he tries a lot harder when his line is gelling. He needs a rhythm to get in the mood. He skates better and holds onto pucks longer when that happens.
Please keep Rust there or give them Kap.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA

Also, OC in next game?
Sure, I’ll suit up!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Counterpoint: they're playing like they haven't given up on each other.

I don’t see it. If we were to argue that they haven’t quit on each other but quit on the coach, I’d apply that more to the end of Johnston’s time than now. They were playing miserable hockey and doing everything to not get scored on while occasionally creating offense but it was clearly over if they had to score much and they knew it. This team isn’t sulking or looking like they hate it all, they’re making dumb mistakes and having defensive breakdowns. They don’t even look frustrated or (mentally) fragile. That’s just not quitting in general; on the coach or each other. He was able to calm them down and get them refocused during a timeout in the first Rangers game.

Either way I’d be hesitant to because it implies every time a team quits on a coach they’re quitting on each other and I don’t think a coaching change would regularly fix that kind of issue. What I’d also argue was that they quit on the coach and each other under Bylsma. The locker room had been a mess for years under him and Shero which trickled out over the years. This isn’t that either.

Sullivan might not be able to get them to another cup if they even have it in them because there’s always a shelf life and bad habits inevitably catch up with coaches and GMs. Being too comfortable alone can cause issues, imo. I don’t think the team quitting on him will be the straw that breaks the camel’s back, though. Not after last season and now, the time that could have happened was likely in Kessel’s last season here.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I still really want Zucker with Sid , but that won't happen with Guentzel there.

Hopefully Zucker figures it out with Geno.

But when Zucker was with Crosby he was scoring at a 32 goal pace.

Zucker has been very unlucky though, so maybe he rips a couple goals off in a game soon. He's still making good plays all over.
unlucky what, I have not seen me near the goal at all, did he have a shot in last 3 games? maybe I forgot...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Hey @Empoleon8771 , will you look at that? Crosby's line scored 2 goals as soon as Rodrigues went down and an actual winger with skill was there to help out the line. Who could have predicted that? ;)
But but but.... It´s all Guentzel´s and Crosby´s fault and they are terrible and we should blame them for not scoring shorthanded because they did it in the past with ZAR, blah blah blah. Here you go, this game couldn´t escalate any nicer. Rust was fantastic and basically the whole 1st line was. The only real problems remain Dumoulin and Malkin now.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Decent win tonight !

It was Crosby’s best game so far this season.

Plz, stay hurt Rodrigues!

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Impressive few wins without 3 regular d-men.

When Petterson/Matheson/Riikola are back their will be some interesting lineup decisions to make. POJ has been good so far, and Ruh has been decent as well. The emergence of POJ allows Ceci to stay in the press box.
POJ should 100% play. He has looked really solid, plays the type of game the Pens need in transition, and still has room to grow as a player.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think the first half of last year the Penguins looked better than they had looked since 2016. But losing Marino and Guentzel and inserting a 60% Sid who had stopped trying defensively put the team into back into a structure funk and they were miserable the rest of last year.

Agreed. I just don't like how dependent our current system is on individual defensive play and on the opponent not blocking up the boards. In 2016 it was like we were forechecking 200 ft of ice rather than defending. We are so much better suited to causing turnovers at the blueline rather than trying to break the puck out along the boards.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
They were abysmal on Friday and much better tonight.

I still think Dumoulin is extremely overrated at this point but we are thin at LD obviously so we gotta ride him.

The thing I wonder about Dumo, and most of the guys struggling if we're honest, is how much of an impact the lack of a training camp + pre-season is affecting the start of their seasons.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The first line looked 100 times better when you took the AHL guy off of it?

tenor.gif

Get EFraud out of here. I never hope for a player to get hurt, but our coach is an idiot, soooo...yeah

I hope everyone sees that EFraud was in fact losing us games.

The curious case of EFraud continues. Take your time recovering; don’t rush back.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The thing I wonder about Dumo, and most of the guys struggling if we're honest, is how much of an impact the lack of a training camp + pre-season is affecting the start of their seasons.

I really hope you’re correct but the rapid 180 in form of a premier defensive dman that has all been since return from a major injury is quite scary. Dumo also was incredibly consistent and played such a simple game that idk if he’s the type who needs a ton of warming up. Remember how he used to just lap the rest of the team in their camp skating testing?

I think 87/71 are fine. Jake and Zucker will be fine. But I am worried about Dumo.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad