Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Sully had to be rescued from his own stupidity - ERod took one for the team, literally. Geno's improvement of form from the previous game unfortunately did not continue. The defense was noticeably better - still pretty bad, don't get me wrong, but not calamitously so as in the previous games. And Jarry outplayed Shestyorkin, that was pretty important too.

Last edited:

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Hard thing with Malkin (and I like him as maybe more than a friend) is that his current lack of quality isn’t simple to diagnose.

- he doesn’t look so slow or so immobile he can’t effectively play
- his “effort” swings within a game. It’s not perfect but he’s not fully checked out either

He’s always been a bit of a double edged heart/head case, and for better or worse an emotional player. Silly as it seems, maybe the lack of fans does weigh on him.

I think he needs a geno loses temper game.

Heart on sleeve geno. I feel so I am geno.....is best geno

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
IMHO given the bizarre nature of 2020/21, need a few more games for team to settle in. Relax.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Was there any report on Erod. It looked like he went knee to knee from the side in his collision and may have suffered an mcl sprain. Guessing a month or so, FWIW, in my humble, non-medical opinion.

It started to look like regular season hockey last night. Nice to win in regulation but that Rags team is not very good yet. Bruins will be an interesting test.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Erod is definitely an NHL player..

Yeah, it’s the usage more than him not being an NHL player. Put him on L4 and suddenly he’s not tormenting us. Still frustratingly bad at finishing but the rest would go well enough as long as he’s kept in the bottom 6. Sullivan definitely has an issue with trying to force players into the top 6. Wilson, ZAR, Simon and whoever else. Rodrigues is just another addition to his collection. It’s good that they’re typically young players he’s giving a shot but he really sticks with it until he can’t anymore.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, it’s the usage more than him not being an NHL player. Put him on L4 and suddenly he’s not tormenting us. Still frustratingly bad at finishing but the rest would go well enough as long as he’s kept in the bottom 6. Sullivan definitely has an issue with trying to force players into the top 6. Wilson, ZAR, Simon and whoever else. Rodrigues is just another addition to his collection. It’s good that they’re typically young players he’s giving a shot but he really sticks with it until he can’t anymore.

None of those guys deserve comparison with ERod. He makes them look like superstars. Not to mention he's been in the NHL long enough that the idea of him actually having that sort of potential is pretty clear.

Incidentally, I'm not so sure he's an NHLer. Been one, sure, but I can see him in the AHL pretty quick.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Incidentally, I'm not so sure he's an NHLer. Been one, sure, but I can see him in the AHL pretty quick.

I generally agree. He’s done nothing in his time here to show me anything. I have no idea how he got 30 points one year.

Stings to lose Simon over him. Indictment on JR and co. talent eval, which with Erod I suppose Sully was at the center of.

Not the most important thing to hand-wring over but these are small deals you wanna get right.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I had to guess with ERod, I think he's another Scott Wilson type of player who has a very short run of being an effective NHLer, but then regresses back into being an AHLer. I think they probably picked up ERod after he had exhausted his useful life as a NHLer.

With Wilson, he went from a really effective bottom-6er that subbed into the top-6 on a cup winner in 2016-2017 to a mediocre bottom-6 player on a bad team in 2017-2018 to not being a NHLer in 2018-2019. It seems like ERod peaked higher, but he's quickly going down the same route as Wilson did. That's a fairly common path for these undrafted or late draft picks.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yea I mean 2 points in 13 games w/ an average of 13 minutes a night (and 5.5 games on the top line)... without bringing any one skill to the table (not a PK nightmare, not a Hags/Grabner burner, not a enforcer, physical presence or even a defensive ace). He’s gotten PP time too. Just not a player at all.

I just don’t see it and I’d like to upgrade on him. Hope he proves me wrong obviously, but I’m not holding my breath.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
None of those guys deserve comparison with ERod. He makes them look like superstars. Not to mention he's been in the NHL long enough that the idea of him actually having that sort of potential is pretty clear.

ZAR and Wilson definitely do deserve the comparison. He is older and a more known commodity, though. It’s just that Sullivan has a history of doing this kind of thing. The man gets an idea and won’t let it go until the bitter end; he’s repeatedly done it with the top 6 now but it’s all over the roster. He also wouldn’t stop playing Porter until he got hurt, repeatedly let JJ murder Letang, ignored how bad Rowney was in his last season here, etc. Anyway, this was annoyingly predictable with him.

He’s an NHLer but someone who could cease to be pretty easily. Those aren’t exactly rare, though. He’ll lose some speed or effort and that will be it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
ZAR and Wilson definitely do deserve the comparison.

ZAR is pretty good at covering for his line mates and positioning, and he gets chances on the 4th line. Just can’t finish ever which is why he’s not a fan favorite.

Wilson was excellent analytically, and eye test wise I liked him (understand I’m in the minority). Physical, and pretty decent on the walls.

Neither should ever be in your top 6 and optimally not even your third line, but they at least bring something to the table to compensate for their lack of offense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yea I mean 2 points in 13 games w/ an average of 13 minutes a night (and 5.5 games on the top line)... without bringing any one skill to the table (not a PK nightmare, not a Hags/Grabner burner, not a enforcer, physical presence or even a defensive ace). He’s gotten PP time too. Just not a player at all.

I just don’t see it and I’d like to upgrade on him. Hope he proves me wrong obviously, but I’m not holding my breath.

Luckily I don't even think you must look outside of the organization to upgrade on him. With how Blueger has seemingly blossomed into a 2-way 3C, I think your have your top-9 completely set already with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Blueger-Tanev

I would rather flip Crosby and Malkin, but that doesn't really matter that much. That's a really good top-9 group. You just need a winger for Sceviour and Jankowski, which can be any of ERod, Lafferty, O'Connor, ZAR or someone from outside the organization. I'd love to acquire another Tanev type of speedster for the 4th line, but you don't need some big name addition.

ZAR is pretty good at covering for his line mates and positioning, and he gets chances on the 4th line. Just can’t finish ever which is why he’s not a fan favorite.

Wilson was excellent analytically, and eye test wise I liked him (understand I’m in the minority). Physical, and pretty decent on the walls.

Neither should ever be in your top 6 and optimally not even your third line, but they at least bring something to the table to compensate for their lack of offense.

I don't think ZAR is a great comparison for ERod but I think Wilson is a really good one. Both were great analytically and neither really brought any skillset that stood out, and both appeared to have a pretty rapid drop in play after a short window of being really effective players.

Reactions: Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Luckily I don't even think you must look outside of the organization to upgrade on him. With how Blueger has seemingly blossomed into a 2-way 3C, I think your have your top-9 completely set already with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Blueger-Tanev

I would rather flip Crosby and Malkin, but that doesn't really matter that much. That's a really good top-9 group. You just need a winger for Sceviour and Jankowski, which can be any of ERod, Lafferty, O'Connor, ZAR or someone from outside the organization. I'd love to acquire another Tanev type of speedster for the 4th line, but you don't need some big name addition.

I don't think ZAR is a great comparison for ERod but I think Wilson is a really good one. Both were great analytically and neither really brought any skillset that stood out, and both appeared to have a pretty rapid drop in play after a short window of being really effective players.

If OC or ZAR can make L4 effective yep. If not, wouldn’t hate a top 9 winger to push Tanev to L4 where he can feast, but I’m not exactly dying to see less of Tanev either.

I think your second point is fair even though i think ZAR and GW are better than E-Rod. These are all guys you wanna use for like 100 games and then recycle.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
ZAR produced like a top sixer in the top six. Rodrigues doesn't. I can't remember Wilson, but ZAR was far better the last time he was in the top six, and I'm not saying he great. Just Rodrigues has been a trainwreck.

I've also not seen two games in a row from Rodrigues where I've thought he's look more than a tweener. He's got a bunch of interesting attributes, but it adds up to not much. I can't recall what his results looked like from last year but I think he's folded already and the org's not recognising it. Speaking of which - I am baffled as to how we've gone from Sully making him 14th forward about 10 games ago, to Sully making him an important part. And I'm really not sure what that says about the situation. Some sort of fav? Hard to buy right now.

Reactions: pistolpete11

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If OC or ZAR can make L4 effective yep. If not, wouldn’t hate a top 9 winger to push Tanev to L4 where he can feast, but I’m not exactly dying to see less of Tanev either.

I think your second point is fair even though i think ZAR and GW are better than E-Rod. These are all guys you wanna use for like 100 games and then recycle.

My concern with the 4th line is that they don't have anyone obvious who would be good on that line. The early results so far this season have made me skeptical on whether Lafferty or Rodrigues would be effective on that 4th line with Sceviour and Jankowski, and I'm guessing ZAR's going to be even more of a shell of his former self when he gets back.

I'm not super interested in acquiring someone to push Tanev to the 4th line because he looks like a play driver on the 3rd line. I want to acquire someone exactly like him to play on the 4th line if all of their internal options flame out. I certainly hope they don't pay the price that Tampa did, but I'd want to acquire someone like Goodrow to play on the 4th line.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
ZAR produced like a top sixer in the top six. Rodrigues doesn't. I can't remember Wilson, but ZAR was far better the last time he was in the top six, and I'm not saying he great. Just Rodrigues has been a trainwreck.

I've also not seen two games in a row from Rodrigues where I've thought he's look more than a tweener. He's got a bunch of interesting attributes, but it adds up to not much. I can't recall what his results looked like from last year but I think he's folded already and the org's not recognising it. Speaking of which - I am baffled as to how we've gone from Sully making him 14th forward about 10 games ago, to Sully making him an important part. And I'm really not sure what that says about the situation. Some sort of fav? Hard to buy right now.
Yes, this part is confusing to me as well.

I was never impressed with E-Rod, but was fine bringing him back because he's cheap, I thought he would used as the 12/13F, and he does at least bring some speed. Shit, I was even OK giving him a crack at 1RW until Kap was ready, but to see how he has played there for SIX games...:help:

The only thing I could think of is that Sully is more hands off with player usage than we think he is. Maybe Recchi didn't like him but Vellucci does?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Him playing with Guentzel/Zucker and Kapanen. If he stays healthy it’s very possible.

He’s already doing well in the points departement with Rodrigues on his right... Crosby can still go on a crazy run at any time.
He's still a formidable player but certainly and decidedly below his optimal level. In the scoring race he'll get destroyed. McDavid probably bests him by 20 plus points. Mackinnon and Drai not far behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad