Speculation: The Coaching Thread

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I expect an article about how well loved and entrenched Tippett is from Craig now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Losing percentage as Coyotes HC

1. Gretzky -56%
2. Tippett -53%
3. Francis -51%
4. Schoenfeld - 48%
5. Don Hay -46%

Gretzky lost most regularity. Tippett second most regular loser.

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The 1-3-1 was brilliant because there's no rule against it. I want a coach that will try some weird **** from time to time, instead of playing the same thing every year, for every game.

Just watch this

I wish our color analyst provided even a tiny bit of this type of analysis, instead we are fed a constant barrage of cliches. I feel dumber after listening to our broadcast team.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Before we fire all coaches/DM, does anyone still think Smith is horrible, still think we should still trade Hanzal, and that we don't need Z?

1. Smith's numbers this year before he started playing hurt were good.

2. I would be willing to trade Hanzal if the return was there, but he is making a habit of missing at least 30 games per year due to injury. Seriously degrades his trade value.

3. Never a huge Z fan...I think it's time to move on, but without him the average age of our defense corps is 24 years...damn that's young!

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OK, please back away from the ledge. Your mother is being brought to the building.

This is just one game in a rebuild year, my friends. I was disgusted watching it, but just a bit of perspective would be nice.

Finally, someone with a good post. When things were going well the first of the season everyone was heaping praise on how good the team was playing, how much fun it was to watch this team etc. etc. Now, we hit a bad stretch, as was expected, out come the same fire everyone posts etc. etc. We are rebuilding, this roller coaster happens with every team that rebuilds and these kinds of games happen and probably will happen again. Like Bonsai said, a bit or perspective would be nice. Rebuilding is very painful.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Maybe we can draft 1OA this year?

Maybe, but it won't be a d-man. I think there is mostly universal consensus that our D is the biggest current weakness. How do we fix it? I'm for changing out our defensive coach. I don't have the inside perspective to know if he's the problem, but if what you are doing is not working, eventually you need to change something.

edit: I'd probably look to make a trade or two as well. It's too early to write off the season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe, but it won't be a d-man. I think there is mostly universal consensus that our D is the biggest current weakness. How do we fix it? I'm for changing out our defensive coach. I don't have the inside perspective to know if he's the problem, but if what you are doing is not working, eventually you need to change something.

edit: I'd probably look to make a trade or two as well. It's too early to write off the season.

Patience is key.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
We need defense in the worst way and there happens to be a potential top pairing one that plays the style we need. I think Matthews is the unquestioned best player in the draft and is expected to be a franchise center of the likes that would be a level above Strome. But we have Strome who is doing fantastic. We have Dvo. We have legit center prospects. We have nothing in our defensive pool that can be considered blue chip.

It is a huge risk. It is something that would follow GMDM around his entire career, probably. But in my opinion we make that trade down to 2 if a good offer is made. Perhaps I'm overreacting to how bad our defense is. Maybe prime aged player can be acquired via trade, but that will cost us anyways.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
We need defense in the worst way and there happens to be a potential top pairing one that plays the style we need. I think Matthews is the unquestioned best player in the draft and is expected to be a franchise center of the likes that would be a level above Strome. But we have Strome who is doing fantastic. We have Dvo. We have legit center prospects. We have nothing in our defensive pool that can be considered blue chip.

It is a huge risk. It is something that would follow GMDM around his entire career, probably. But in my opinion we make that trade down to 2 if a good offer is made. Perhaps I'm overreacting to how bad our defense is. Maybe prime aged player can be acquired via trade, but that will cost us anyways.

No way we don't draft the Arizona kid if possible. If we have too many forward prospects that pan out, then you trade for D.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Why not keep 1 and draft Matthews and then trade Strome + whatever to get the 2nd overall pick as well?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Finally, someone with a good post. When things were going well the first of the season everyone was heaping praise on how good the team was playing, how much fun it was to watch this team etc. etc. Now, we hit a bad stretch, as was expected, out come the same fire everyone posts etc. etc. We are rebuilding, this roller coaster happens with every team that rebuilds and these kinds of games happen and probably will happen again. Like Bonsai said, a bit or perspective would be nice. Rebuilding is very painful.

Does firing our ****** head coach mean we can't rebuild anymore?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Here's some perspective - our defense is actually worse than last year's, and last year we almost drafted 1OA.

From last year we lost Yandle who would easily be our second best D on most nights and our best D on some nights because of his puck moving abilities. Last night we played Dahlback/Murphy/Elliot. None of those 3 were regular NHL D last year, Murphy has been a recent healthy scratch too. Last night, we had our 1D/OEL play poorly, and the rest of our D is really 4-7D. We were missing a 1,2, and 3D last night. Add to that Lindbacks performance, a border line NHL goalie, our AHL goalies performance, and no Hanzal, our 1C/excellent defensive center.

You guys are dreaming if you think firing the coach fixes our problems. He is playing young guys and we scored 5 goals.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
This will most likely be the 4th straight season missing the playoffs. How many losing seasons = patience?

I would say that patience is a requirement until folks actually start putting their money where their lack of patience lies.

It really is tough to make chicken salad on a chicken shinola budget. The truly amazing thing is that they're actually on a path to maybe (just maybe) being able to do just that.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
From last year we lost Yandle who would easily be our second best D on most nights and our best D on some nights because of his puck moving abilities. Last night we played Dahlback/Murphy/Elliot. None of those 3 were regular NHL D last year, Murphy has been a recent healthy scratch too. Last night, we had our 1D/OEL play poorly, and the rest of our D is really 4-7D. We were missing a 1,2, and 3D last night. Add to that Lindbacks performance, a border line NHL goalie, our AHL goalies performance, and no Hanzal, our 1C/excellent defensive center.

You guys are dreaming if you think firing the coach fixes our problems. He is playing young guys and we scored 5 goals.

Very good post, I didn't think OEL played that badly however and (as a note) liked his physicality.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Bonsai is right - please keep perspective overall. Small blip on the radar right now.

As far as the comparisons between Gretzky and Tippett - all that needs to be said is that Gretzky bailed on the team when he was supposed to be getting things together. Tippett hasn't. He may not make the shrewdest of moves out there to change things, but I remember that TGO had a three game span where Nigel Dawes played the 4th line at LW, the 1st line at RW, and then the 3rd line at RW. So, we could be just as much a victim of poor lineups either way.

I do recall that when we were in the process of trying to hire Tippett, Ulf Samuelsson was running all of the practices. It was clear that he focused on defense, and b/c he was running all aspects, forwards and defensemen were all on the same page. Defense wins championships and masks issues with offense. That is why we were so successful early in Tip's tenure and not so much now.

I think that one of the elements that worked well for Tip early on and that has degraded now is roster depth, and how we have worked into a minor bit of complacency. In 2010, you felt like a lot of players could be switched in - we had a lot of depth but the talent level was not quite as high. Our depth is now suffering, so there are rare occurrences when we sit a player like Murphy or Chip.

We are not bad off, but I do believe that we need a new defensive coach instead of Playfair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad