Confirmed with Link: The Coaching Search is Over! Sabres Hire Bylsma, Presser at 4PM

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
My initial concern:

How does a lifelong grind it out right wing, whose coaching career included the likes of Crosby and Malkin, do with regards to implementing defense?

I picked four categories:

- 5 on 5 GA
- GA per game
- shots against per game
- total hits (just curious)

Themes:

- always top ten in total hits, including top three in his first two FULL years in PIT (year after they won cup)

That's it.

GA/gm
09-10: 20th
10-11: 6th
11-12: 15th
12-13: 12th (lockout short)
13-14: 10th

Shots against per game
09-10: 6th
10-11: 5th
11-12: 4th
12-13: 16th

5 on 5 GA

09-10: 22nd
11-12: 24th
12-13: 9th
13-14: 14th

That tells me minimal, really. They were never stellar on D, blue line or as a team up front or all around. Fleury, while criticized often (sometimes unfairly), isn't Jon Quick.

They were always in the playoffs.

But they won one cup and Bylsma had 25 regular season games to do with it. Not a ton of playoff success otherwise.

Crosby and Malkin - does that weigh in his favor or against him?

I know this: I am unwilling to sit through more "compete" and "work hard" solutions to problems for which THOSE ARENT CORRECT ANSWERS.

If Bylsma can build a staff and implement structure, we are in better shape. That shouldn't be a tall task if due diligence was done.

Conclusion:

Because Murray has said as much (need more than just "work" speech), id have to believe Murray asked about this and was pleased with the response

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Quickly perusing previous drafts, I'd roughly say 3 3rd rounders per year end up being useful NHL players. I'd take a 10% chance at a solid NHL player over any coach.

Yes, because a coach who has the potential to improve an entire 23 man roster is less valuable than a 10% chance for a middling NHL roster spot. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Current Vegas Odds Board :

First Buffalo News 'Journalist' to ask a cringeworthy question at the press conference.

Vogl : +400
Gleason : Even Money
Sullivan : Probably already has his article written, but -200 if he shows up.
Harrington : No Action, nobody would bet against this.
Graham : Won't attend, scribing an article about the journalistic superiority of newspapers.

I would bet my house that either Harrington or Sullivan will at some point ask the awkward, "Dan, you know that you were this team's second choice and if things had gone as everyone expected last week, we wouldn't be here today. How does that make you feel and why did you accept the position?"

To which Murray will get annoyed and shoot some curt reply while Black will say that Bylsma was at the top of their list with Babcock.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
What I want to hear about:

Assistant coaches and Irbe
Impressions of Eichel at WC
Rochester's future
Things learned and new approach on analytics

What I expect to hear:

What's it like to be sloppy seconds to Babcock?
How come the Sabres didn't have a presser to end the season?
Did you like Rex Ryan's video?
How come you ruined the Penguins?
Do you approve of track suits?

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
Today's shirt has a pocket and last nights doesn't. Last night was clearly his classy shirt and today's shirt is all business.

and he has the winning shoes from the lottery on
1975067_10153145479617954_1059036682217414169_n.jpg

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I would bet my house that either Harrington or Sullivan will at some point ask the awkward, "Dan, you know that you were this team's second choice and if things had gone as everyone expected last week, we wouldn't be here today. How does that make you feel and why did you accept the position?"

To which Murray will get annoyed and shoot some curt reply while Black will say that Bylsma was at the top of their list with Babcock.

Yep. I predict a dearth of questions about the process instead of the result. (Mostly because they were frozen out of the 'process' due to prior asshattery.)

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY

The thing is I bet you're not far off the mark. Our media is so embarrassing.

They should only let Vogl in.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Will be interesting to hear who the assistants will be/if irbe is retained

What seems curious to me is what happens to Granato in Detroit. He was Babcock's aide last season so:

1) Does he stay an assistant to Blashill?; or
2) Does he join Babcock in Toronto?; or
3) Is he cut loose by Detroit and then join his former boss, Bylsma, in Buffalo?

Bps21*

I wonder what the stat is on cup winning coaches taking over 30th place teams.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
That's very surprising - either Murray got enough solid recommendations/endorsements on Bylsma from Fletcher and others to feel the hiring will work out that long, or Pegula's willingness to eat portions of contracts for departed employees gave him peace of mind for such a long-term deal. I was kind of expecting 3 year term to start with.
:

I was hoping it was 3 years, but no way that was realistic. McLellan got 5 years and DeBoer is getting 4 years from San Jose.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
My initial concern:

How does a lifelong grind it out right wing, whose coaching career included the likes of Crosby and Malkin, do with regards to implementing defense?

I picked four categories:

- 5 on 5 GA
- GA per game
- shots against per game
- total hits (just curious)

Themes:

- always top ten in total hits, including top three in his first two FULL years in PIT (year after they won cup)

That's it.

GA/gm
09-10: 20th
10-11: 6th
11-12: 15th
12-13: 12th (lockout short)

Shots against per game
09-10: 6th
11-12: 4th
12-13: 16th

5 on 5 GA

09-10: 22nd
11-12: 24th
12-13: 9th
13-14: 14th

That tells me minimal, really. They were never stellar on D, blue line or as a team up front or all around. Fleury, while criticized often (sometimes unfairly), isn't Jon Quick.

They were always in the playoffs.

But they won one cup and Bylsma had 25 regular season games to do with it. Not a ton of playoff success otherwise.

Crosby and Malkin - does that weigh in his favor or against him?

I know this: I am unwilling to sit through more "compete" and "work hard" solutions to problems for which THOSE ARENT CORRECT ANSWERS.

If Bylsma can build a staff and implement structure, we are in better shape. That shouldn't be a tall task if due diligence was done.

Conclusion:

Because Murray has said as much (need more than just "work" speech), id have to believe Murray asked about this and was pleased with the response
Today's NHL is all about depth and the Pittsburgh teams had virtually no depth for the last 2 seasons Bylsma was there.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Today's NHL is all about depth and the Pittsburgh teams had virtually no depth for the last 2 seasons Bylsma was there.

I agree.

But the first spot you look to for depth is down the middle.

Crosby

Malkin

Doesn't that end that argument, to a degree? I'm asking.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
What I want to hear about:

Assistant coaches and Irbe
Impressions of Eichel at WC
Rochester's future
Things learned and new approach on analytics

What I expect to hear:

What's it like to be sloppy seconds to Babcock?
How come the Sabres didn't have a presser to end the season?
Did you like Rex Ryan's video?
How come you ruined the Penguins?
Do you approve of track suits?

You forgot, "Why would you want to coach a team who purposely tanked just to get a chance at Connor McDavid?"

Bps21*

I agree.

Crosby

Malkin

200 times in his games there one of them was unavailable.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
BUTTON: BYLSMA AN ‘EXCELLENT CHOICE’ TO COACH SABRES
NHL Network analyst Craig Button breaks down why the Sabres chose Dan Bylsma.

DUFF: BYLSMA BRINGS WINNING PEDGIREE TO BUFFALO
201505-Bylsma-DL.jpg

He was drafted four picks ahead of Pavel Bure in the 1989 NHL Draft, but scored fewer goals per game over the course of his 429-game NHL career than Sabres “legend†Rob Ray. (Is this the time to be asking, “How?†and not “How many?â€)

He shares a birthday (Sept. 19) with late-night comedian Jimmy Fallon and some of his own comedic instincts helped him earn a nickname – “Disco Dan†– that could gain further traction in Western New York given our penchant for a certain annual event, The World’s Largest Disco, which sells out every November in downtown Buffalo.

But most importantly, as he is introduced Thursday as the new head coach of the Buffalo Sabres, Dan Bylsma brings with him an impressive coaching resume.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Gleason: Welcome Dan, Bucky Gleason from the Buffalo News. Has Tim Murray informed you of plans to tank this season? How many games do you plan on throwing?

Harrington: This is for Ted Black. Since you didn't have a season ending presser, I have some questions from then:

Who is on your short list for head coaches since you have unjustifiably fired Ted Nolan for his last place finish?
Do you think Buffalo will be able to attract a head coach given they are an embarrassment to the league?
When can we speak to Terry Pegula?
Where you aware that OTHER teams had a season ending press conference?
How many twitter followers do you have? BLOCKED

Sullivan: Hey Terry, who will be the bills starting QB and why will race be a factor?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I agree.

Crosby

Malkin

Have two top line centers doesn't really help you when you have to play 3rd and 4th line guys next to them for weeks at a time due to injuries.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I agree.

Crosby

Malkin

iirc, both of those guys missed quite a few games to injury during Bylsma's tenure there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad