Confirmed with Link: The Coaching Search is Over! Sabres Hire Bylsma, Presser at 4PM

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
More info from the IIHF tourney about the Bylsma-Eichel connection:

Even before former Penguins coach Dan Bylsma landed the head-coaching gig with the Buffalo Sabres, he began trying to model 2015′s expected second-overall pick after Sidney Crosby.

“What he was showing me was [Crosby's] movement away from the puck. He’s always at top speed. I think that’s what coach Bylsma wants out of me. Crosby’s known for that,†Eichel said last week in Chicago while in town for the Stanley Cup Final.

“I learned a lot about myself as a player [in the Czech Republic], and it was good for me to go over there to see the things I need to work on to be an effective player at the next level.â€

“He brings a lot of energy. He’s obviously won a Stanley Cup, he’s coached some of the best players in the world. I think he’s going to be great for Buffalo,†Eichel said of Bylsma. “It was nice for me to get to know him.â€

As for the looming question of him turning pro vs. staying in college:

On Monday, Eichel told The Danny Picard Show his decision will be made by June 30 in discussion with his parents.

Either way, the first person he’ll call once his mind is made up will be Quinn.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...nhl-draft-buffalo-sabres-boston-university-2/

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I was just reading this interesting article by James Neal, which some of you might've also seen, titled "What You Don't Know About Being a Sniper," and there was an interesting tidbit about when he first joined the Penguins re: Bylsma (last line bolded for emphasis):

One thing to notice is that I’m a left-handed shot playing the right wing here. That might seem like a small thing, but it’s actually a huge deal. I started my career as a left winger, so I was always receiving passes with the puck outside my body, away from the net. If you’re a playmaker, you might prefer this. I didn’t know how big of a difference this made until I got traded to Pittsburgh. Dan Bylsma walked in the first day and asked, “Hey, do you think you could play right wing?”

I’m like, “Uh, well I’ve never played it before, so I’m not sure?”

He says, “Okay great, you’re playing right wing.”

Once I got used to it, I really elevated my game, because whenever I shot the puck on my forehand, the release point was closer to the net. I was a threat at all times, especially on one-timers. I ended up scoring 40 goals the next season. So whenever a guy switches wings, it has a lot of implications for how he plays. (Thanks, Dan. You were one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.)

Here's the link: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I was just reading this interesting article by James Neal, which some of you might've also seen, titled "What You Don't Know About Being a Sniper," and there was an interesting tidbit about when he first joined the Penguins re: Bylsma (last line bolded for emphasis):

One thing to notice is that I’m a left-handed shot playing the right wing here. That might seem like a small thing, but it’s actually a huge deal. I started my career as a left winger, so I was always receiving passes with the puck outside my body, away from the net. If you’re a playmaker, you might prefer this. I didn’t know how big of a difference this made until I got traded to Pittsburgh. Dan Bylsma walked in the first day and asked, “Hey, do you think you could play right wing?â€

I’m like, “Uh, well I’ve never played it before, so I’m not sure?â€

He says, “Okay great, you’re playing right wing.â€

Once I got used to it, I really elevated my game, because whenever I shot the puck on my forehand, the release point was closer to the net. I was a threat at all times, especially on one-timers. I ended up scoring 40 goals the next season. So whenever a guy switches wings, it has a lot of implications for how he plays. (Thanks, Dan. You were one of the best teachers I’ve ever had.)

Here's the link: http://www.theplayerstribune.com/james-neal-predators-sniper/

It's hard not to notice that he's been playing certain guys on their off-wing when he doesn't necessarily have to. You'd think Reinhart as a winger is a no-brainer to be a righty as he had been (including that last Prospects tourny game), but he's played only C and LW in camp. I've only seen Zemgus playing C and RW in camp. In the past he'd been on the left side as a winger. The thought did cross my mind that these two particular players were odd choices to play on the off-wing, but they've looked good. There are positives and negatives to playing on your off side, whether winger or d-man, regardless of playing style, but I do think it's most advantageous for shooters, which neither of those guys are.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It's hard not to notice that he's been playing certain guys on their off-wing when he doesn't necessarily have to. You'd think Reinhart as a winger is a no-brainer to be a righty as he had been (including that last Prospects tourny game), but he's played only C and LW in camp. I've only seen Zemgus playing C and RW in camp. In the past he'd been on the left side as a winger. The thought did cross my mind that these two particular players were odd choices to play on the off-wing, but they've looked good. There are positives and negatives to playing on your off side, whether winger or d-man, regardless of playing style, but I do think it's most advantageous for shooters, which neither of those guys are.

I'd only disagree to say Zemgus's offensive bread will be buttered as a goal-scorer in this league. He's not a shooter/sniper like Neal, but he'll benefit from playing on his off-wing. He doesn't really create for other players, so I like the move for him. Reinhart? Not so much.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Do you think he's trying to get Reinhart to be more of a shooter? Not that he needs to be, but maybe he Dan think he has more potential in that regard?

This is all very interesting to me - I asked a lot of questions on here about handedness last year as I had a hard time understanding the pluses and minuses for playing each side, for both offense and defense. I didn't spend much time playing in an organized league when I was a kid, so I missed out on the finer points like this.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
My guess is Dan's just trying to see what each guy is/isn't capable of in terms of positions they play. It is preseason, after all.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that Babs passed on us and we got Dan. Time will tell. Seems the players are very high on his 'system', that they know where they are supposed to be at certain times, etc.

His interview style is brutal, but I won't hold that against him as coach!

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that Babs passed on us and we got Dan. Time will tell. Seems the players are very high on his 'system', that they know where they are supposed to be at certain times, etc.

tbh, it seems like the players would be thrilled to have any system. Piecing together player interviews, it seems like Nolan never made it clear where each guy was supposed to be on certain plays, where the outlets were supposed to be, etc.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
tbh, it seems like the players would be thrilled to have any system. Piecing together player interviews, it seems like Nolan never made it clear where each guy was supposed to be on certain plays, where the outlets were supposed to be, etc.

I agree. Time will tell whether his 'system' translates to Stanley Cup.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

The way the guys talk about it, it consistently sounds like they're simply glad to have a system. In other words, they're saying Nolan didn't have much of a system. Obviously if they hated the system they wouldn't be saying that, but I think it's more a reflection of the fact they have a legitimate coach. They'd be saying similar things if Babcock were coach, in other words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad