Confirmed with Link: The Coaching Search is Over! Sabres Hire Bylsma, Presser at 4PM

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
CGD2sQJUsAAp6Po.jpg

CGHVg66WMAATkrd.jpg

TIM MURRAY DOESN'T CHANGE SHIRTS. CONFIRMED (e5)
Today's shirt has a pocket and last nights doesn't. Last night was clearly his classy shirt and today's shirt is all business.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Me too.

Am I the only person that would rather have a 3rd round pick over any coach?
Is the 3rd round pick Nick Babptiste caliber or is it Kevin Sundher caliber?

A 3rd round pick in your typical draft year (so not 2013 -- Baptiste) generally never amounts to much.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Current Vegas Odds Board :

First Buffalo News 'Journalist' to ask a cringeworthy question at the press conference.

Vogl : +400
Gleason : Even Money
Sullivan : Probably already has his article written, but -200 if he shows up.
Harrington : No Action, nobody would bet against this.
Graham : Won't attend, scribing an article about the journalistic superiority of newspapers.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
(for reference)

If we are giving up our 3rd rounder in 2016, that means no offersheets this offseason...

Less than $1,205,377: Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328: Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659: Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986: First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316: First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645: Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater: Four first-round picks

If Murray wanted to throw an offer sheet at Jones in LA, I doubt it would bump his salary past $3.6M or that LA would match - in which case the 2nd rounder is all that's needed.

I think Murray haggling to make sure it's not our pick he's giving up means he's seriously interested in exploring the RFA market

That might be true - I could see Murray, with his frustration of losing the lottery and Babcock, resorting to an offer sheet on a high-profile RFA (i.e. Toffoli?) if he fails to land the player(s) he wants in trades (i.e. O'Reilly). With what he's said in the past about draft picks being currency in his mind to use in adding known players to the roster, and Pegula's willingness to also throw caution to the wind if it means better odds of winning, I don't see the Sabres at all being afraid of perceptions or backlash from throwing offer sheets at other players.

is it possible that Adam Oates could be available as an assitant if he gets passed over for the job in New Jersey?

True. I would never want Oates as a HC, but i wouldn't mind him coaching our forwards.

Agreed - if nothing else, he worked up a good power play strategy when in Washington.

so, Rutherford didn't want compensation for the guy whose job he took... but he does want compensation for the guy who he fired?

what a douce

Why did the Penguins require compensation for Bylsma but not Shero? Makes no sense to give them a 3rd round pick here. Dumb rule.

He's trying to correct his bone-headed mistake of surrendering his 1st in the Perron trade. Rumors are that he is trying to persuade Buffalo to bundle Bylsma's rights with another Penguin asset in return for the 21st pick, rather than just a 3rd rounder.

Murray doesn't look happy

Murray can hardly contain his excitement.

He may be thinking "better get his signature quick before I get ambushed with another last-minute change of heart".....

I imagine that Harrington, Sullivan and Gleason are busy sharpening their knives and digging out old quotes to throw at Pegula in particular (if he attends).

5 year contract

That's very surprising - either Murray got enough solid recommendations/endorsements on Bylsma from Fletcher and others to feel the hiring will work out that long, or Pegula's willingness to eat portions of contracts for departed employees gave him peace of mind for such a long-term deal. I was kind of expecting 3 year term to start with.

Murray: Ummm, That's not how you spell Babcock

That made for a huge ROTFL :biglaugh:

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
I'm excited more than most for this signing, I think he is a premier coach and the Club is better with him behind the bench

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo

A 3rd round pick in your typical draft year (so not 2013 -- Baptiste) generally never amounts to much.
Quickly perusing previous drafts, I'd roughly say 3 3rd rounders per year end up being useful NHL players. I'd take a 10% chance at a solid NHL player over any coach.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

turn into a 3rd round pick in your typical draft year (so not 2013 -- Baptiste) generally never amounts to much.

I was hoping the Sabres would draft 4 goalies in the third round next year! One of them would have to turn into a superstar. Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad