Confirmed with Link: The Coaching Search is Over! Sabres Hire Bylsma, Presser at 4PM

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
@theScoreNHL: Report: NHL to end draft pick compensation for teams that fire coach, GM http://t.co/mg4GToFswi http://t.co/AYuUPNuIxz

A little late

Good that they fixed it at least. It's fair to expect compensation for a minor league coach or assistant but a guy you fired? They should have been on the ball with this rule to begin with. Kind of sad that they weren't because I bet if you asked most GM's they would've never wanted that part in the rule. It's my understanding that they approved a generic concept of compensation for staff poaching, then the league office worked up the specifics.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
@theScoreNHL: Report: NHL to end draft pick compensation for teams that fire coach, GM http://t.co/mg4GToFswi http://t.co/AYuUPNuIxz

A little late

NHL has changed rules and had them apply retroactively to transactions before (recapture rule). Little surprised they wouldn't do it again for this.

Good that they fixed it at least. It's fair to expect compensation for a minor league coach or assistant but a guy you fired? They should have been on the ball with this rule to begin with. Kind of sad that they weren't because I bet if you asked most GM's they would've never wanted that part in the rule.

The whole point, as far as I can tell, was to give teams compensation if someone under contract moved to another organization to a higher position. That makes complete sense.

Why they didn't bake that into the language in the first place is so ridiculously idiotic.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
We weren't. Edmonton was with Chiarelli. That's the situation that tipped off Rutherford.

I suppose, but it still seems like more of a punch in the balls for us since Bylsma hadn't been working for anyone for an entire year.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Maybe the NHL could compensate the teams that lost draft picks under these provisions by granting them draft picks. Even getting a pick at the end of the third round would help. An untradable pick (like they gave out when they restored the first rounder to the Devils) would have value.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I agree.

But the first spot you look to for depth is down the middle.

Crosby

Malkin

Doesn't that end that argument, to a degree? I'm asking.

Our bottom 6 is/was garbage after staal left. Two all star players, yes. Depth, no.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From Friedman's 30 Thoughts:
24. Finally on Bylsma: what else did he work on during his season off the bench?

“I wanted to take a look at different teams and coaches, the cadence of their line shifts, patterns, tell signs, implementation of personnel. Do they match forwards and defence, or just defence? Zone starts. It was kind of an out-of-body experience, not looking at anything the way I watched it before,†he said.

With more time to watch, he looked pretty deep. Will be interesting to see if it changes any of his own habits.

Bps21*

My concern remains that he doesn't understand that dump and chase is ********. That NHL.com article starts with him basically talking about justifying it by how much grind they put on the other team's d having to turn around. Great. Good for you. You know what I'll take over the added grind of a Dman having to turn around a few more times a game? A few more shots a game that I get from carrying the puck in.

"could have used a few more shots today...but boy did their guys look tired when they celebrated that win"

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I will say that I was not a fan of Bylsma going into this. But having read a lot of what he did over the last year, I have to say that I am interested to find out is he has in fact done the work, studied the advanced stats and changed his outlook on the game.

The dump and chase is my biggest concern.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Leafs fan coming in peace. I think Bylsma is a good coach. He has achieved good things with average supportive players. He should do wonders for group as good as Buffalo's. I was looking forward to him and Boucher if we didn't get Babcock.

Bps21*

I will say that I was not a fan of Bylsma going into this. But having read a lot of what he did over the last year, I have to say that I am interested to find out is he has in fact done the work, studied the advanced stats and changed his outlook on the game.

The dump and chase is my biggest concern.

I've warmed up too...but I am concerned that he went searching for justification instead of solutions. IM not worried about how much grind we are putting on a defender in a 60 minute game...it's meaningless. Getting the added zone time and shots in those 60 minutes...are the opposite of meaningless. If he means over the coarse of a series...I mean...ok I see what you might mean...but I'll still take the puck. Spoiler: I'll always take the puck.

It will be interestling to watch. The team we've had...dump all you want they can't get it across the line anyway. But Eichel...man he is amongst the best I've seen carrying that thing in. Hopefully he isn't neutered for a system.

Most of the rest will take care of itself. The fact that he's already name dropped Larsson tells me he knows what hes looking at more than the last guy. Low bar obviously.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I've noted his few Larsson name drops, as well. Yeah, Bylsma is growing on me. He definitely doesn't seem like Marrone just doing lip service with stats, analysis, etc... Still don't think an NHL coach matters that much, but I'm at least confident he's not a stubborn old-school fool.

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna
I'm kind of happy with him as our coach.

My gutfeeling with the "boooo's" from pens fans is hat they are right, bylsma wasn't perfect with them and has his downsides.

but:

He had time to change (pure speculation). He is still a young coach.
He made a good, competent impression on me during the winter special TV stuff (highly subjective).
He was at the only NHL game I ever went, Flyers against a Pens team on a winning streak in 2013 (what was it, 13 games in a row?). Pens lost but they played strong (with basically 2 good players).
I have high hopes for him being a great fit for Eichel, Reinhart and Girgs. No idea why.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The whole point, as far as I can tell, was to give teams compensation if someone under contract moved to another organization to a higher position. That makes complete sense.

Why they didn't bake that into the language in the first place is so ridiculously idiotic.

Yeah, exactly Although it does tend to flag the last minute issues that get thrown into these documents without full vetting, when the main issues are nailed down and everyone just wants to get it done.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
^hopefully Bylsma doesn't even have to coach kaleta, unless his love of useless muckers perpetuates and he becomes the buffalo version of Craig Adams/Tanner Glass

Said he's on board with the youth movement though, I hope he sticks with murrays vision instead of just saying things and causing another disconnect between front office and team.

I have a feeling he wouldn't have taken this job if he wasn't going to rely on youth though, because as of now he has very little else to work with

Hipcheck13

Jul 26, 2014
NY
^hopefully Bylsma doesn't even have to coach kaleta, unless his love of useless muckers perpetuates and he becomes the buffalo version of Craig Adams/Tanner Glass

Bylsma's checklist for the off season:

-Resign Kaleta.
-Trade for Cooke.
-Further ruin Beau Bennett.

:sarcasm:

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Good vibes from the combine today:

Eichel, who is in Buffalo for the NHL Scouting Combine, interviewed with the Sabres on Tuesday afternoon. The group included General Manager Tim Murray, coach Dan Bylsma, President Ted Black and the scouting staff.

“It went really well,†Eichel told The Buffalo News. “I got to know all their management and scouts and talk about my season and stuff, so it was a lot of fun. I liked it. It was a good meeting.â€

“It’s nice to be here,†said Eichel, who arrived Monday. “The odds are that I’ll be selected here, so I’m just trying to get a feel for the city. It was nice to meet the management and see coach Bylsma again. It’s really good. I’ve been enjoying myself.â€

“It was nice to get to know him and it was nice that he got the job,†Eichel said. “We did a few video sessions together. I think he’s a really good hockey guy, and I’d love to play for him.â€

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/06/02/jack-eichel-on-interview-with-sabres-it-was-a-lot-of-fun/

All good stuff as it comes to dismissing the fear Eichel might not turn pro...knowing the coach in advance has to be a big comfort factor in him joining an NHL roster.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Good vibes from the combine today:

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/06/02/jack-eichel-on-interview-with-sabres-it-was-a-lot-of-fun/

All good stuff as it comes to dismissing the fear Eichel might not turn pro...knowing the coach in advance has to be a big comfort factor in him joining an NHL roster.

Werent there quotes or soundbites from Eichel that one of the reasons he went to the WHC was to prove to himself he could play in the NHL next season against the competition?

Personally, I never believed for a second that Eichel would not be in the NHL next year, and especially not after his performance over there.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
6-3: DAN BYLSMA GOES IN DEPTH ON EICHEL IN STUDIO ON WGR (25:00)

@WGR550
Bylsma on how much Eichel played into his decision to come to Buffalo: "It's tough not to say it was a big factor"

Bylsma on Eichel - Everyone can see his size, how he skates. Everyone can see he is going to be an amazing player

Bylsma on Evander Kane: big, strong, powerfully fast, net drive. excited to see him play

Bylsma on Sabres defense - Big heavy, talented and can move. Excited to have to these guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad