Confirmed with Link: The Coaching Search is Over! Sabres Hire Bylsma, Presser at 4PM

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
I watched the Kaleta interview because I was wondering why he was getting interviewed when he's the only one of that batch of players that isn't under contract with us for next season, and he kinda touched on that too:

"After the season we had, the decision was made to move on, and to be able to get that new coach in and get a sense of direction is, I think, comforting for most guys."

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Dan Bylsma with Rich Gaenzler on Sports Radio 1270 (12:58)

@1270TheFan
Sabres head coach Dan Bylsma joins the Rich Gaenzler Show now! #Sabres

Bylsma: Watching from my couch, I tried to look at the game in a completely different light. Almost an out-of-body experience.

Bylsma: By the end of my playing career I had quite an accumulation of info. I thought I was prepared to coach, I've learned a lot since.

Bylsma: I was playing when I read Moneyball, thought it had to apply to hockey. Analytics have been part of my coaching staffs for a while.

Bylsma: the Aud has a special place for me in the history of the game. If I could put Aud seats in the film room, I would.

Last edited:

Bps21*

Maybe this actually is the perfect spot for him. Everyone always goes straight for..."well he took over a great team and immediately won that cup" but that comes with a certain negative in the aftermath too. You are coaching two elite franchise players who just won a cup and they and the team are going to be kind of set in their minds of what worked so do that. Here he can grow with the team and mold the how around them and with them.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I love everything this guy says...

He is certainly saying the right things. The quote I loved from the WGR article was:

So what about Bylsma talking about his players? Number one of course would be Jack Eichel and he told Howard and Jeremy as with all young players, it’s going to be a process, “At times we had to take him down to 12 minutes and I think that’s going to be part of the process and I wouldn’t be too concerned if I saw Jack play 12 minutes in the NHL one night and 12 the next and I’m not going to be concerned it’s not working out. He’s a very, very good player and is going to be a very good player.â€

Love it. Basically, how he's playing is going to determine his minutes.....but it sure doesn't sound like he's going to nail him to the bench like Teddy did with Reinhart (yes, I know physically Sam had issues, but still) and Larsson.

Maybe I'm nuts, but he's saying the right things about how to handle the kids.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
He is certainly saying the right things. The quote I loved from the WGR article was:

Love it. Basically, how he's playing is going to determine his minutes.....but it sure doesn't sound like he's going to nail him to the bench like Teddy did with Reinhart (yes, I know physically Sam had issues, but still) and Larsson.

It's like he learned something after his previous coaching job and his time away from the NHL, haha.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I watched the Kaleta interview because I was wondering why he was getting interviewed when he's the only one of that batch of players that isn't under contract with us for next season, and he kinda touched on that too:

"After the season we had, the decision was made to move on, and to be able to get that new coach in and get a sense of direction is, I think, comforting for most guys."

I would assume because he is a vet and has been through four coaches. Also as a compete type guy he may have some issues with Teddy other than style.

Bps21*

Reinhart did have issues. But his demotion to the 4th line were because Hodgson had issues. This was during the "maybe if we move Hodgson from 2nd line wing to 3rd line C" stage of his career implosion.

Also none of Reinhart's issues were going to be helped with his zone starts. I think he had more D zone starts in his 9 games at 6 minutes a night than Draisiatl had his whole half season in the NHL. Teddy gonna Teddy.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He’s a very, very good player and is going to be a very good player.â€

****. Did he peak already?

Buffalo always gets talent on the decline.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Saying is the easy part....

Hope he follows thru

I don't think anyone is awarding him coach of the year for what he says, it's more that it is encouraging to hear the way he thinks the game and his approach, and probably most importantly, his belief in analytics. Of course he needs to follow through with his words, that goes without saying, but for right now it just helps the fans/organization feel more confident in him

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Yeah the fired coach part doesn't bother me as much as "coach whose team fired him last season and waited until all of the coaching vacancies were filled so he had no where to go". That and the fact they didn't seek compensation for Shero. It looks very inconsistent on their part.

I am a Pens fan and glad we got the pick but the rule for fired hockey staff is not a good one. Especially after being out of work for a year, even though they are technically still under contract by former team.

Pens did not ask for compensation because Rutherturd didn't know the rules until it was to late. He is not to smart.

I don't understand the Blysma signing either he was horrible at furthering the development talent once the players got to the NHL. Examples Depres, Bennett, Samuelsson, Doumolin. Hell even Sutter, who was looking great with the Canes has not lived up to his promise.

Bps21*

THE GREAT BEAU BENNETT has made another appearance!!!

I'm going to be kind when I say this. When almost every single person your GM drafts busts...it's probably not the coach. You appear to have gotten exactly one player who isn't bad out of that entire draft window.

But I'm sure now that he's gone Pitt will be taking the world by storm! Oh he was gone a whole year? ... That can't be right. Pitt was worse and I don't remember them losing Crosby and Malkin for 200 games like they did under Bylsma...

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I am a Pens fan and glad we got the pick but the rule for fired hockey staff is not a good one. Especially after being out of work for a year, even though they are technically still under contract by former team.

Pens did not ask for compensation because Rutherturd didn't know the rules until it was to late. He is not to smart.

I don't understand the Blysma signing either he was horrible at furthering the development talent once the players got to the NHL. Examples Depres, Bennett, Samuelsson, Doumolin. Hell even Sutter, who was looking great with the Canes has not lived up to his promise.

Bylsma didn't turn average prospects into good players. Must be bad at development.

Bps21*

I went and read up on THE GREAT BEAU BENNETT to see how such a can't miss player could be so ruined by his coach in less than 50 games.

Weirdest thing...it seems this can't miss future star was actually a high risk player who lacked physicality, liked to float on the perimiter and played on cruise control. But skill...so... Forget the warnings that he was a high potential to bust...

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Can't wait till Bylsma tells our players to run Beau Bennett to ruin him some more.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I went and read up on THE GREAT BEAU BENNETT to see how such a can't miss player could be so ruined by his coach in less than 50 games.

Weirdest thing...it seems this can't miss future star was actually a high risk player who lacked physicality, liked to float on the perimiter and played on cruise control. But skill...so... Forget the warnings that he was a high potential to bust...

Funny, it sounds like you're describing THE GREAT MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO to me, a prospect many Sabres fans had very high expectations for and always complained about him never being put in positions to succeed. Let's not pretend that how many penguin's fans feel about Bennett is any different from how many Sabre's fans feel/felt about grigorenko. The book hasn't been written on either of them yet, so there's really no need to keep bashing Bennett at every opportunity. I'm sure I won't find any complaints from you about how grigs was coached if I look back through your posts, right?

I don't know what everyone else has been saying, but my argument was never that Bylsma ruined anybody, contrary to what you seem to think. It was about player usage, not putting players into the best positions to succeed, and lack of patience towards the young players - the same things everybody seemed to complain about with Nolan with a handful of the young sabres. Everybody knows that its more common for average prospects to not be able to make the jump to pros. But if a coach has any input on development at all, then good developmental coaches should be able to do somewhat better than league average random chance at getting something useful out of those average prospects. There were a handful of those average prospects that didn't seem to work out well in Pittsburgh with Bylsma as coach, but moved on to other teams and had some success.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Funny, it sounds like you're describing THE GREAT MIKHAIL GRIGORENKO to me, a prospect many Sabres fans had very high expectations for and always complained about him never being put in positions to succeed. Let's not pretend that how many penguin's fans feel about Bennett is any different from how many Sabre's fans feel/felt about grigorenko. The book hasn't been written on either of them yet, so there's really no need to keep bashing Bennett at every opportunity. I'm sure I won't find any complaints from you about how grigs was coached if I look back through your posts, right?

The difference is you don't see anyone saying Grigs hasn't developed because of his head coach.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
The difference is you don't see anyone saying Grigs hasn't developed because of his head coach.

Early on people around here were certainly blaming Ruff. People have also blamed the fact he had like 4 coaches in 2 years or whatever the stat was, which isn't blaming a coach per se, but is certainly blaming coaching in a general sense.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Early on people around here were certainly blaming Ruff. People have also blamed the fact he had like 4 coaches in 2 years or whatever the stat was, which isn't blaming a coach per se, but is certainly blaming coaching in a general sense.

People blamed Ruff for literally everything in his last couple seasons. It's not a very good comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad