CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Ray's done in the CFL. The guy's 39 this year and has such a good career. He has nothing more to prove in the league.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think Ray's done in the CFL. The guy's 39 this year and has such a good career. He has nothing more to prove in the league.

I agree. I've never been a Ray fan, but he's been a solid starter for long time. I can't see why he would risk anything else after such a scary injury at his age. If he wants it I'm sure his old QB partner in Edmonton would give him a job as a QB coach there.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Difference a week makes. Ottawa offense looks like a powerhouse against the supposedly good Sask D but is atrocious at best against Calgary this week.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Thought we were in for an offensive shootout...but these offenses both look like complete crap in the first half. If I'm Ottawa I just hand it to Powell the rest of the way. The only thing stopping him is...Ottawa.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is Ottawa trying to lose this game on purpose? My god, Powell has been unstoppable yet the Redblacks are determined to attempt 50 passes tonight.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Can Montreal keep is respectable tonight? I forsee a bounce-back from an aggressive Sask defense tonight. The Als get clobbered IMO.

So just so I don't look like a hypocrite when the Eskimos inevitably get jammed by the officials (probably in the Labour Day rematch), I'll go on the record as saying BC got jerked around pretty good last night at Commonwealth. Several iffy calls kept Eskimo drives alive, and even though they rescinded it, that horse-collar was a comically bad call. Overall, 19 points is a pretty big spread, but it could have probably been a one-possession game without bad calls.

Hamilton looks to be for real. Convincing wins over Winnipeg and Edmonton, and they probably should have beat the Stamps too. Between the Ti-Cats and Redblacks, the East might be respectable this year, at least as far as the top two teams are concerned. I hope so anyway. 4th place in the West being a coveted position in the standings needs to change.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So just so I don't look like a hypocrite when the Eskimos inevitably get jammed by the officials (probably in the Labour Day rematch), I'll go on the record as saying BC got jerked around pretty good last night at Commonwealth. Several iffy calls kept Eskimo drives alive, and even though they rescinded it, that horse-collar was a comically bad call. Overall, 19 points is a pretty big spread, but it could have probably been a one-possession game without bad calls.

Or maybe the refs just got tired of Ty Long trying to play them for fools every time he was out on the field. ;)

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
LMAO at Sask. A week after Winnipeg hangs 56 on the Als with a QB playing his second career game, the Riders offense scores 3(!) in an entire half. If Chris Jones has half a brain, Carter goes back on offense after getting torched for a TD. But after watching Jones in Edmonton for two years, I'm half convinced he largely evaluates a football game based on how few points his defense gave up with little care for how the offense did. Fantastic defensive coach, clueless offensively.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Second week in a row where Duron Carter is a liability on D.

Why is Saskatchewan trying so hard to make him seem elite by having him as a dual-position guy? Just keep him as WR.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Gotta hand it to the Als...I honestly thought they might go winless this year. That Saskatchewan offense is beyond awful. Interesting, it looks just like the Eskimos offense usually did under Chris Jones in any game where Mike Reilly wasn't on fire.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gotta hand it to the Als...I honestly thought they might go winless this year. That Saskatchewan offense is beyond awful. Interesting, it looks just like the Eskimos offense usually did under Chris Jones in any game where Mike Reilly wasn't on fire.

I will give credit to Jones in that he doesn't try to micromanage everything. He delegates and lets the people he delegates to do their jobs.

The problem in this case is that he picked the wrong man for the offense. McAdoo isn't that good.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I will give credit to Jones in that he doesn't try to micromanage everything. He delegates and lets the people he delegates to do their jobs.

The problem in this case is that he picked the wrong man for the offense. McAdoo isn't that good.

Ya, agreed. He needs somebody with some pedigree to run his offenses. McAdoo would not likely have a job under any other coach given his track record.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Are people still going to try to pretend that Saskatchewan is a good team?

Hamilton and Ottawa looks like solid teams this year. I still think Edmonton and Winnipeg will be good. And of course Calgary is fine. I think those are the 5 best. Still don't think much of BC, Sask, or Montreal. Toronto looks like a disappointment and I'm not sad about that.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Are people still going to try to pretend that Saskatchewan is a good team?

Hamilton and Ottawa looks like solid teams this year. I still think Edmonton and Winnipeg will be good. And of course Calgary is fine. I think those are the 5 best. Still don't think much of BC, Sask, or Montreal. Toronto looks like a disappointment and I'm not sad about that.

just like people will pretend that Winnipeg is a good team.

Should be more interesting when both teams starters are back.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
just like people will pretend that Winnipeg is a good team.

Should be more interesting when both teams starters are back.

Winnipeg looks way better than Sask, Montreal, and BC, despite all four teams having one win. To be honest I'm still not sure Edmonton is better than the Bombers either with Jason Maas driving the bus.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Hey guys! This is a weird request but I'm doing a bit of research about those NFL/CFL crossovers league games that happened in the 1950 and 1960. This is a long shot, but does anyone of you know a fan that attended one of those game? I'd be curious to chat with them about what it was like to attend a game like those.

Blackmon

Mullet
Jun 23, 2018
Cambridge Bay, NU
There is little in the CFL that I enjoy more than watching the Riders lose, except maybe watching Duron Carter act like a moron & get beat repeatedly en route to a Riders loss. This past weekend was a great weekend.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hamilton and Saskatchewan have combined for 3 red zones attempts. Total points from those attempts is 4 points. Offensive yards is 253 for Hamilton, 98 for Sask but Hamilton is just up 7-6. As soon as Hamilton breaks through they are going to blow this out of the water.

I am super biased but damn I think Stegall is the best guy on the panel by a mile. Calling out Chris Jones haha. They ask who starts at QB in the 2nd half and there's Burris saying Bridge and Stegall just says "Duron Carter" :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Third week in a row the traveling team has underperformed offensively on Thursday night. Was scared of Hamilton -7 for this reason, but the under is all but assured.

Still can't believe Chris Jones hasn't moved Carter back to offense. But as we've seen before, just when things are about to hit critical mass, Jones will find a way to grease out a win with his defense and dissipate the pressure for another two weeks. This one is coming down to the wire...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hey guys! This is a weird request but I'm doing a bit of research about those NFL/CFL crossovers league games that happened in the 1950 and 1960. This is a long shot, but does anyone of you know a fan that attended one of those game? I'd be curious to chat with them about what it was like to attend a game like those.

I'd be interested in your findings. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone who was in attendance. Good luck though!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Masoli could have been more clinical tonight. I'll take the 333 yards but man the 23/43 hurts, plus the 1 INT to know TD...errg

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Hamilton and Saskatchewan have combined for 3 red zones attempts. Total points from those attempts is 4 points. Offensive yards is 253 for Hamilton, 98 for Sask but Hamilton is just up 7-6. As soon as Hamilton breaks through they are going to blow this out of the water.

you don't say.......

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That's a tough one for the Cats. I think they went down field just a little too often. Some close calls on a couple of those 40+ yard bombs, but unfortunately when you don't connect you waste too many possessions. It took 58 minutes, but Sask finally found the endzone on offense. Hamilton held the Riders to a pitiful 12 first downs, yet the time of possession was only slightly in the TiCats' favour. A few more runs and a few less long bombs and the clock is probably at 0:00 before Sask had a chance to score a major on offense.

Vintage Chris Jones win though. Almost lose a game where your defense gave up only 12 while scoring 6 themselves. The Riders are the 2014/15 Eskimos without Mike Reilly. If the defense doesn't score a TD while holding the opposing offense under 20, they won't win.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Fluke wins like that don't happen very often. Sask is lucky to have 2 wins locked in. They are still going to struggle to get to 9 wins this year at best. Very lucky last night that won't continue.

wins are flukes now. good to know ;)

If they don't get their offence in order they will be in trouble for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad