CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Or it's when an East team destorys Sask? Or maybe when an East team destroys EDM? Hard to say. But certainly it's not when an East team beats Winnipeg despite a starting QB and best defensive player. So **** you yeah.
You're right it was when Hamilton beat Edmonton last night. I never would've thought they'd beat Edmonton and they did in convincing fashion.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Godamn I wish I woulda put a bet in, there's no way MTL wins 6 games this year. I said this much before this Bombers game.

I think Jason Maas is a complete embarrassment both on and off the field, but it's not his football knowledge I question. The Esks have an all-time elite passing offense, but no running game (did you really think Gable would solve that?). On defense the injuries hurt, but they don't have that much talent to be honest. EDM will live and die with Reilly, which is why I prefer the Bombers who are less dependent on the starting QB.

@Kyle McMahon did you actually expect we'd avoid each other? Esks v BB's is going to be West Final this year, IMO. I love your CFL passion, we are very similar passionate people. If I beak you hard in playoffs I hope I you are understanding. I can never accept the goddamn Evil Empire so I hope you understand why I can never understand haha.

I wish I'd bet more...

Hard to say on Gable, but I think he gives them a decent versatile threat out of the backfield. Nothing special, but certainly competent. They didn't involve him enough last night I felt, with only 12 total touches.

The defense is pretty devoid of talent at the moment, since once again they've been wrecked by injuries 5 minutes into the season. Hightower, Colquhoun, Konar are already on the 6-game, Mike Moore as well. Three important starters. So I expected them to give up chunks of yardage. But Benevides scheming remains the same as last year, which is never rush more than 4 and drop the other 8 into a zone prevent. Masoli didn't have to fit one ball into a tight window yesterday, every receiver he hit was wide open with DBs playing 10 yards off the ball.

Hey, I picked us to meet in a crossover Grey Cup, remember? Haha, we'll see. I still think there's not a lot separating the top 4 teams in the West (I think BC will be an also-ran this year), so no combination of West playoffs would surprise me unless it involves the Lions. You can beak me all you like, I like the passion, hopefully we get a little more activity in this thread as the season builds.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Winnipeg wins 56-10 and it might not be the biggest blowout of the week.

Tonight's Stamps beatdown sure gave it run for it's money. 41 - 7 drubbing of the Argos tonight. Bo Levi seemed to be on a mission though the secondary was very...generous today.

Ricky Ray taken off the field on a stretcher in the 3rd with a neck injury. Trestman says he has feeling in his arms and legs which is good but a real sense we saw the last of Ray on a CFL field tonight.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth
Feb 24, 2017
I wish I'd bet more...

Hard to say on Gable, but I think he gives them a decent versatile threat out of the backfield. Nothing special, but certainly competent. They didn't involve him enough last night I felt, with only 12 total touches.

The defense is pretty devoid of talent at the moment, since once again they've been wrecked by injuries 5 minutes into the season. Hightower, Colquhoun, Konar are already on the 6-game, Mike Moore as well. Three important starters. So I expected them to give up chunks of yardage. But Benevides scheming remains the same as last year, which is never rush more than 4 and drop the other 8 into a zone prevent. Masoli didn't have to fit one ball into a tight window yesterday, every receiver he hit was wide open with DBs playing 10 yards off the ball.

Hey, I picked us to meet in a crossover Grey Cup, remember? Haha, we'll see. I still think there's not a lot separating the top 4 teams in the West (I think BC will be an also-ran this year), so no combination of West playoffs would surprise me unless it involves the Lions. You can beak me all you like, I like the passion, hopefully we get a little more activity in this thread as the season builds.
If JJ will kindly find some offs to f*** and Lulay finds the fountain of sustained health, the Leos will be in it.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Got to feel for Ray, hes such a class act and has had such an amazing career. IF it is the end for him on the field, I'm sure he can find work somewhere off the field

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
If JJ will kindly find some offs to f*** and Lulay finds the fountain of sustained health, the Leos will be in it.

Agree, Lulay is the better option but just can't stay healthy. JJ looks more like a well-qualified backup than a legitimate starter. I'm still not exactly sure where to gauge BC. Based on how badly the Alouettes got thrashed in their home opener, the fact that BC let them hang around until the 4th quarter might be a concern. Next week might be a clearer indicator.

Toronto got humiliated last night, but weirdly I thought they actually weren't that terrible. Like that performance should typically lose 30-14 or something, not 41-7. Hopefully that wasn't Ricky Ray's last act on a football field, but I'd have to think anything short of a 100% clean bill of health would prompt retirement.

The Alouettes are the biggest disaster I can remember in a long time. I don't think I've ever felt a CFL team had 0-18 potential right out of the gate until now.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Not sure if its a new thing this year but I just noticed that ESPN2 has been playing the games, and I have to say I have been surprised with how entertaining they have been so far. I was a borderline hater/mocker of the CFL and the games have kind of sucked me in thus far, it is very watchable and quite entertaining football

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Not sure if its a new thing this year but I just noticed that ESPN2 has been playing the games, and I have to say I have been surprised with how entertaining they have been so far. I was a borderline hater/mocker of the CFL and the games have kind of sucked me in thus far, it is very watchable and quite entertaining football

Majority of CFL haters are people who have never watched it, or not watched enough to make a proper judgement.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Don't worry, you weren't alone. For some reason it's considered trendy to bash the CFL at every opportunity by people who don't watch it.

Next week should provide a better slate of games, all were one-sided this week. So if you found this particular week entertaining, you won't be disappointed going forward. Ottawa-Calgary and Peg-Hammer should both be great games this week.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Majority of CFL haters are people who have never watched it, or not watched enough to make a proper judgement.
I watched the game the other night and it was horrible. Boring as can be I think the score was 56-10.
Not much fun in that unless you root for Winnipeg I guess. I can watch Alabama vs vs Florida International for the same effect. Also I noticed the QB play being subpar. Lack of arm strength. Not hating just awful football to watch.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I watched the game the other night and it was horrible. Boring as can be I think the score was 56-10.
Not much fun in that unless you root for Winnipeg I guess. I can watch Alabama vs vs Florida International for the same effect. Also I noticed the QB play being subpar. Lack of arm strength. Not hating just awful football to watch.
Just an FYI.

This is a thread for fans of the CFL to discuss the CFL.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Montreal might be the worst team the CFL has seen in a long time. This would be like judging the NFL based on a Cleveland Browns game.

FYI, the CFL uses bigger balls than American football. It's not possible to zip it like an NFL or college ball, so arm strength appears weak in comparison. In reality, arm strength is important to a CFL QB since they have to be able to throw across the wider field on shallow out routes.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Ok, so you fall under “haven’t watched enough to make a proper judgement.”

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Should be a fun week of games in the CFL. Calgary-Ottawa always play close games. Hamilton looks far better than I gave them credit for so the Winnipeg Hamilton should be a good one. I expect a REALLY high scoring game as I think both defenses are a bit suspect, particularly given the running ability of both QB's. We'll get a chance to see if BC can actually hang with the rest of the West. They handled MTL, but I expect them to bow down to Edmonton pretty easily. Unfortunately the Saturday game is a free space on the Bingo square for Sask.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Montreal might be the worst team the CFL has seen in a long time. This would be like judging the NFL based on a Cleveland Browns game.

FYI, the CFL uses bigger balls than American football. It's not possible to zip it like an NFL or college ball, so arm strength appears weak in comparison. In reality, arm strength is important to a CFL QB since they have to be able to throw across the wider field on shallow out routes.

I didn't know that about the footballs.
Im guessing the CFL is trying to sell the sport to the American audience by putting the games on ESPN. I don't expect every game to be close its just that a 56-10 blowout is just unacceptable. I started feeling sorry for the losing team. Still I'm a fan of football so this is not going to deter me from watching more CFL games.

Last edited:

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Ok, so you fall under “haven’t watched enough to make a proper judgement.”
The CFL used to be broadcasted more frequently. I even remember it as a kid on regular TV during the Flutie days. I always liked to watch it. I think the Playoffs and Grey Cup were on ESPN last year. I don't believe I watched those games. This year I'm going check the schedule.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's not the NFL, mind you, but it's still some quality football. Been to a couple games in Edmonton and they've all been quality.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Im guessing the CFL is trying to sell the sport to the American audience by putting the games on ESPN. I don't expect every game to be close its just that a 56-10 blowout is just unacceptable. I started feeling sorry for the losing team. Still I'm a fan of football so this is not going to deter me from watching more CFL games.

I'm not certain how much of it is a push by the CFL to promote it in the US, or ESPN just looking for content and trying to capitalize on the American love of all things football. Probably a little of both.

Ottawa-Calgary and Hamilton-Winnipeg should both be excellent games. Definitely not 56-10 scores. Sask-Montreal could be ugly. Frankly any game involving Montreal has a high probability of being ugly.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Ottawa-Calgary and Hamilton-Winnipeg should both be excellent games. Definitely not 56-10 scores. Sask-Montreal could be ugly. Frankly any game involving Montreal has a high probability of being ugly.

Everyone knew that Montreal would be bad. I don't know that anyone expected them to be this bad. I still expect they will find a way to win 2-3 games this year. Somehow. And whoever coughs up those wins will be kicking themselves. But I don't know if I've ever seen an offense so lacking in weapons. No QB, horrendous O-Line, no real playmakers in WR corps beyond a washed up Chris Williams, and their RB is old and never been anything resembling a star. Just a mess. Toss on coach who hasn't coached in years above high school and never the canadian rules and a frankenstein defense stitched together from the other CFL teams, damn. It doesn't look good.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Everyone knew that Montreal would be bad. I don't know that anyone expected them to be this bad. I still expect they will find a way to win 2-3 games this year. Somehow. And whoever coughs up those wins will be kicking themselves. But I don't know if I've ever seen an offense so lacking in weapons. No QB, horrendous O-Line, no real playmakers in WR corps beyond a washed up Chris Williams, and their RB is old and never been anything resembling a star. Just a mess. Toss on coach who hasn't coached in years above high school and never the canadian rules and a frankenstein defense stitched together from the other CFL teams, damn. It doesn't look good.

Early returns have me thinking the Als are the worst team I've seen in 20-odd years of watching CFL football. It will take a disaster of a performance from somebody else for them to win a game.

It's amazing to me that Kavis Reed, doofus that he is, couldn't manage to recruit a running back, a receiver, or find a young QB prospect to give a chance. It's as though there was no off-season recruitment at all. Oh, besides the big Josh Freeman signing of course. Going into a season with Drew Willy as your contingency plan is astounding. Franklin and Collaros both were available, hell Kevin Glenn for that matter.

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018

They have been on ESPN for quite awhile.

Feb 24, 2017
I like how the dickheads poopooing the cfl are in the other thread jerking it over the prospect of that startup alliance league.

We get it. Americans love America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad