The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Not only was he good in that series but he finished that season with .923 save pct and played a lot of games. Not record breaking, but that's pretty darn good. And that was only two years ago so it's not like he will never repeat it. Last year he was .916 on a crappy team. He has actually been pretty good.

He had a great season that year. Not even talking abotu numbers...he played very well. A nice bounce back year. But was that a glimpse into what he can be or just a fluke? I think he's good...actually...he's damn good. He just needs to focus more and maybe a new goaltending coach. I hate that he's always on his knees.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
For winning percentage vs team winning percentage, I don't think anything has changed. It applies to 70's teams and 2010's teams. It takes for granted that your #1 goalie should have a better winning % than the team.

I understand that a backup would face lesser quality teams, but it's not always how backups are used. Also there's the backup effect where the team feels the need to play better to compensate.

I found it interesting and worth a thought or two at least. But you are probably right that the stat can't be used in any meaningful ways.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
LOL Habs fans. Everyone in this league knows that Price is an elite goalie, except for some Habs fans.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Upcoming issue of THN for anyone interested:

BGeDvimCIAIDEBU.jpg:large

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Carey Price was VERY VERY good last night, the Bruins simply had too many great chances in the second period. It would be unlikely for any goalie to stop the goals scored against him last night, but he did stop a lot of shots that most would be unable to save.

Nevertheless, most of us can say that Price can be better, but think about it. he is the number 1 goaltender on a 2nd place team, what happens when he gets better? Which is what is happening anyways. Every goalie will go through a stretch where their stats won't look as good as other times, it happens. I have no worries about Price.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Its hard to debate with people like you if we have to point out the obvious.

How well versed in the semantics of goaltending are you?

You've already admitted you don't like him, at this point it seems like a petty vendetta unless you start bringing a strong, articulate discussion to the board.

All I'm asking is when was he elite ? Certainly not last year. The year beforme maybe.... He did lost 2 games by himself against Boston in the playoffs. ( including game 7 where his teammates gave him the lead like 3 times ).

3 year ago... Halak has to take the net at the end of the season if we wanted to make the playoffs.

4 years ago... He was a back-up to Cristobal for nearly 3/4 of the season.

Yes Price played a lot of game but it's because the dg's were careful not to put a good back up that could ultimely make him look bad. We had no choice but to put Price in net.

All I'm asking is when was Price elite ? It's not because you move well in goal and you seem to have great technical skills that you are effective with them. Thomas and Hasek don't look half as good in the net as Price. But they were way better goalies.

Maybe he will become elite because he seems to have all the tool. But right now he is an average goalie nothing more. That being said he is not in his prime.

He will be our goalie for the next 10 year so he better put it all together. As for myself, i'd try to use his high value to find us a real franchise player. It won't happen... and I really hope he proves me wrong.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Don't shoot me, but CP is no Ken Dryden. Too erratic for my liking.

He can have his boneheaded plays and let in the occasional softie. I blame more of that on our effective but sometimes out of position D.

It would be ballsy to trade Price though. Not sure where we would go for an upgrade since we are a little thin in the Goalie ranks and trading would be very costly.

Dryden was the best!!!!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If the team plays well in front of him, especially the defense (clearing the puck, pushing the guys in his crease, not pinching, etc) I think he and the team can go far. Alone, he won't take us very far.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Don't shoot me, but CP is no Ken Dryden. Too erratic for my liking.
You could make a strong argument that Patrick Roy was no Ken Dryden. Ken Dryden just might have the best resume in the history of the game.

Yes, he played behind a powerhouse but he single handedly beat Bobby Orr and the Bs his first year in the league. The guy has almost as many career shutouts as losses.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We actually don't know. We think we do. We KNOW he has potential. But we have no clue. We have witness from him some great and some bad, still believe the inconsistencies are there. We do not know for sure where he's headed even if we think it's in the right direction. Too many intangibles that he has for not to work.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Carey Price was VERY VERY good last night, the Bruins simply had too many great chances in the second period. It would be unlikely for any goalie to stop the goals scored against him last night, but he did stop a lot of shots that most would be unable to save.

Nevertheless, most of us can say that Price can be better, but think about it. he is the number 1 goaltender on a 2nd place team, what happens when he gets better? Which is what is happening anyways. Every goalie will go through a stretch where their stats won't look as good as other times, it happens. I have no worries about Price.

He allowed 4 goal in what 6 minutes... If you want to see real good look at Budaj for the rest of the game... That was real good.

I know that I tend to overanalyse the goals allowed by Carey and I know that I'm biased because I don't like him that much . But a lot of you do the sane thing in reverse.

You focus on the 4 good saves a goalie made during a period while that same goalie allowed 4 goal and you say he was amazing. Hell I expect at least that from my starting goalie in a game because no matter how you play. Bad bounce and good scoring chances will come your way. It's how well a goalie react to them that makes him a good goalie not how well he moves between the post.

Yesterday for example, in the third, Budaj had a lot of scoring chances but allowed only 1 goal... After the 3 first one that didn't go in it gave energy to the players instead of take it from the players. Price allowed 4 goals in a 10 minutes span... You can't be amazing when you allow 4 goals in 10 minutes sorry you will never make me believe that.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
He allowed 4 goal in what 6 minutes... If you want to see real good look at Budaj for the rest of the game... That was real good.

I know that I tend to overanalyse the goals allowed by Carey and I know that I'm biased because I don't like him that much . But a lot of you do the sane thing in reverse.

You focus on the 4 good saves a goalie made during a period while that same goalie allowed 4 goal and you say he was amazing. Hell I expect at least that from my starting goalie in a game because no matter how you play. Bad bounce and good scoring chances will come your way. It's how well a goalie react to them that makes him a good goalie not how well he moves between the post.

Yesterday for example, in the third, Budaj had a lot of scoring chances but allowed only 1 goal... After the 3 first one that didn't go in it gave energy to the players instead of take it from the players. Price allowed 4 goals in a 10 minutes span... You can't be amazing when you allow 4 goals in 10 minutes sorry you will never make me believe that.

Well hot diggity, Lundqvist is terrible, he let us pot 5 in a period and a half. Better tell Sather before he foolishly puts his faith in the guy.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

Budaj was pretty good. Not taking away anything from him. But all goalies allow a lot of goals once in a while. If you play Budaj night after night, he will have one of those games too. Take a look at the defensive breakdowns on those goals too. Marchand was alone in front of the net for a century there. Missed one shot, retreived the puck and still no one was near him when he put it in.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Well hot diggity, Lundqvist is terrible, he let us pot 5 in a period and a half. Better tell Sather before he foolishly puts his faith in the guy.

But Lundqvist has carried that team for many years. He also has a Vezina to his name and many nominations. His numbers have been unreal.

I think the problem here is Price gets a lot of flack (which is typical in Montreal), but he also gets a lot of excuses from certain people. "He had no chance"..."It was a tough save"..."defensive breakdown"...but we ridicule lesser goalies with worse defenses as being bad. Bryzgalov?

I mean, sometimes you have to make that save...that's what separates the elites from the average goalies.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
He can take me wherever he wants to

tumblr_mj2wr6vYOc1rmerh9o1_400.gif

This is so full of win.

The NHL isn't like it used to be when Brodeur, Roy and Hasek were singlehandedly winning cups. Shooters have probably gotten better at a rate greater than goaltending and if you just look at the increase in goals scored, it's evident that even the best goalies are going to get scored on. That said, there is the J Quick, Mike Smith (although didn't win a cup), Thomas from '11 (although I don't think he was as ridiculous as people make out), etc. who end up coming up huge. In those cases, it's not like they didn't get scored on. I think the main question is - can he pull of a Halakian performance, which even as a very big Price fan, I am looking forward to seeing. But he can do it, I have faith in him. It's a game of inches and he could just get in the groove.

Sometimes looking at goaltending performances retrospectively, we tend to give too much credit to what the goalie did and not enough to luck. They're both important. Price will certainly need luck on his side. If we can shore up our D (just by being patient), he can and will take us to a Cup.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I mean, sometimes you have to make that save...that's what separates the elites from the average goalies.

What save is that though? No goalie saves every shot. And they all let in bad ones. So which ones was he supposed to save? Did the other goalies save the ones they were supposed to and let in the ones that were ok. His stats in the last few years have been pretty good. So he is obviously making saves. Just not the right ones, apparently.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
What save is that though? No goalie saves every goal. So which ones was he supposed to save? Did the other goalies save the ones they were supposed to and let in the ones that were ok. His stats in the last few years have been on par with many of the best goalies in the league.

Oh c'mon man.. this is ridiculous.

His stats have not been on par with the best goalies in the league... Not even close.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
But Lundqvist has carried that team for many years. He also has a Vezina to his name and many nominations. His numbers have been unreal.

I think the problem here is Price gets a lot of flack (which is typical in Montreal), but he also gets a lot of excuses from certain people. "He had no chance"..."It was a tough save"..."defensive breakdown"...but we ridicule lesser goalies with worse defenses as being bad. Bryzgalov?

And sometimes, your team plays terrible D and you can't do much despite making good saves on some good scoring chances.

No one worth discussing with is going to tell you Price is playing perfectly every time, or that he shouldn't make quality saves or keep the team in it when they're blowing it, etc., but I think we're past the point of questioning his play on a nightly basis (then extrapolating from that), or even just overall. He's a quality starter and one that plays a ton, mostly giving quality starts in those. If people feel the need to nitpick his performances and think they're actually making a point, well, those people are just a waste of time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Did you watch the 1st period though? He made 'that save' over and over again. And he did it again in the 2nd period where we were outshot something like 15-3 after Subban's goal. Yes, he got beat but he was still awesome. That game could've gotten out of hand entirely.

I was fine with the coach pulling him because we needed to shake things up but Price played a great game last night.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
And sometimes, your team plays terrible D and you can't do much despite making good saves on some good scoring chances.

No one worth discussing with is going to tell you Price is playing perfectly every time, or that he shouldn't make quality saves or keep the team in it when they're blowing it, etc., but I think we're past the point where questioning his play on a nightly basis, or even just overall. He's a quality starter and one that plays a ton, mostly giving quality starts in those. If people feel the need to nitpick his performances and think they're actually making a point, well, those people are just a waste of time.

No one is talking about playing perfectly. No one is discounting the defensive system. But give me a break about "nitpicking". I'm looking at his entire 6 year performance. His numbers have been decent...but not great. His performances in the playoffs have been inconsistent. He has had issues with inconsistency and focus. He's in the bottom 1/3 in save percentage this year and last. Nitpicking every performance isn't good, but dismissing any criticism of his play is just as bad.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Price is a great tender IMO. He's tired folks! Good Lord, he also plays for US! I remember reading an article, that was written in one of the more non-biased super sport publications, claiming that being the starting goalie in MONTREAL was the TOUGHEST job in professional sports. Everyone agreed... Not baseball, football (soccer), football, or any other professional sport on the planet. Guess what? He's ours and doing VERY well. Oh, he could have easily hauled arss for money, but chose to stay a HAB! That means a LOT when I take a modest look at UFA signings and player retention over the last 20 years... Embrace the kid, he wants good for us fans and the franchise. :yo:

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007

His stats have not been on par with the best goalies in the league... Not even close.

His save pct has. You look at a guy like Rinne and most years they arent that much different, except he had one season where he was like .930, and not until he was like 29 or 30.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Price is a great tender IMO. He's tired folks! Good Lord, he also plays for US! I remember reading an article, that was written in one of the more non-biased super sport publications, claiming that being the starting goalie in MONTREAL was the TOUGHEST job in professional sports. Everyone agreed... Not baseball, football (soccer), football, or any other professional sport on the planet. Guess what? He's ours and doing VERY well. Oh, he could have easily hauled arss for money, but chose to stay a HAB! That means a LOT when I take a modest look at UFA signings and player retention over the last 20 years... Embrace the kid, he wants good for us fans and the franchise. :yo:

Great? Sorry, I don't agree. Frankly, I don't even understand how anyone can say he's great...even his biggest supporters.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Yes they have.

He's had two terrible games giving up a touchdown. Other than that he's running at a save percentage of .922. He's been extremely consistent and very good. He just has two blowouts killing that save percentage number. He's been extremely solid for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad