The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Carey Price - How far can he take us?

Price is a good goalie. I guess my question is...how good is he? He's a guy that can play a lot of games, for sure. Is he the type that can win you a series? I think he has it in him, but has not shown it yet. What do you think?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He got a shutout in game 7 vs. Boston during his first Play-off series ever..
Won the Jack Butterfield trophy (AHL Conn Smythe) when the Bulldogs won the Calder.
Won gold with Canada in the WJC's.

He's got winning pedigree in him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Price CAN be the best goalie in the NHL. He CAN take us to a Cup.

Better question is will he? Will he be able to be consistent in the playoffs and steal a game or two like a Cup winning goalie needs to do from time to time to get his team over the hump.

He's able to do it. He just has to show that he CAN.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Hopefully his early push into the spotlight hasn't made him a shakey playoff goalie. This should be the deciding year, he hasn't looked great in the playoffs so far, needs to have a solid showing.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Price is a good goalie. I guess my question is...how good is he? He's a guy that can play a lot of games, for sure. Is he the type that can win you a series? I think he has it in him, but has not shown it yet. What do you think?

I think he can win us a cup with a "good" team. Ideally we get a "great" team and win multiple cups.

That being said he still has room to grow and has to take it up a notch or two. He's a top 10-15 goalie but can be a top 5 or top 3.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Alone? he can't take us anywhere, he's not Roy, he's not Brodeur, he's not Hasek, get over it.

with a team that plays well in front of him? he can take us further than the majority of the goalies in this league

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Alone? he can't take us anywhere, he's not Roy, he's not Brodeur, he's not Hasek, get over it.

with a team that plays well in front of him? he can take us further than the majority of the goalies in this league

Get over what exactly? There are countless goalies who are considered at Price's level or under who have stolen playoff games and series. As good as Price is, I don't know if he's the type of goalie who can do that. He looked pretty good a couple of years ago in the Bruins series for the most part.

As good as he is, he needs to do more. That .923 save percentage he had a few years back...is that the real price..or is it the .910-.915 the real Price? I'm not sure.

j52

Mar 7, 2007
Price doesn't have the "fire in the belly" approach. He will not take the Habs very far. Look at the past week. Habs greatly outshoot Sabres but lose. Habs outshhoot/outplay:( Pens but lose. Carey is pulled after Bruins pour 4 through him, and our backup stones them in the stootout. Price seldom stops 6 in a shootout.:(

Brass

Nov 14, 2007
laurentides
He can take me wherever he wants to

tumblr_mj2wr6vYOc1rmerh9o1_400.gif

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Get over what exactly? There are countless goalies who are considered at Price's level or under who have stolen playoff games and series. As good as Price is, I don't know if he's the type of goalie who can do that. He looked pretty good a couple of years ago in the Bruins series for the most part.

As good as he is, he needs to do more. That .923 save percentage he had a few years back...is that the real price..or is it the .910-.915 the real Price? I'm not sure.

didn't mean to offend you in any way my bad :P

what I meant was : i'm the biggest Price sellout around here, but the guy has its flaws. he's not a Roy or a Hasek, he's not gonna single-handedly win the stanley cup as these 2 did, but with any given team the odds of winning a cup with him are way better than without him compared to the majority (*majority*: not all of them, majority ranges from 50+1% to 100%) of goaltenders in the league

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Its funny people mention Brodeur all the time of someone they want Price to be like.

People expect Price at .923 yet you have Brodeur with a career .913 save percentage and a .919 in the playoffs.

Price has a regular season career SP of .916 and yes a low .907 in the playoffs. Its skewed a little right now due to poor performances in his first few years.

Now Brodeur has had a great career, a winning career. Point is, numbers dont take you far. Heck i almost throw them out the window sometimes. Its more about timely goaltending then saying Price needs "x" save percentage.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Price doesn't have the "fire in the belly" approach. He will not take the Habs very far. Look at the past week. Habs greatly outshoot Sabres but lose. Habs outshhoot/outplay:( Pens but lose. Carey is pulled after Bruins pour 4 through him, and our backup stones them in the stootout. Price seldom stops 6 in a shootout.:(

Is Price supposed to score in those games? Montreal scores 1 goal in those two games and its Price's fault.

Last night, Budaj had a great shootout i dont deny that. Price was yanked to wake Montreal up. They fell apart and left him out to dry in the second period, then Montreal essentially took over the third for the comeback.

fwi, most shootouts never go to six shots for a goalie...

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Its funny people mention Brodeur all the time of someone they want Price to be like.

People expect Price at .923 yet you have Brodeur with a career .913 save percentage and a .919 in the playoffs.

Price has a regular season career SP of .916 and yes a low .907 in the playoffs. Its skewed a little right now due to poor performances in his first few years.

Now Brodeur has had a great career, a winning career. Point is, numbers dont take you far. Heck i almost throw them out the window sometimes. Its more about timely goaltending then saying Price needs "x" save percentage.

Brodeur played in a different era. Comparing stats from different eras is just silly. Lastly, Brodeur STOLE games consistently. That was his career.

I only brought up his save percentage because he's consistently in the bottom half among goalies in that regard. .911 save percentage in this day and age is modest...it's not good, and we need Price to be good.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He can win us a Cup for sure. No clue whether it'll be this year or in 10 years, but he definitely has it in him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Oh sweet.. Probably another Deasharnais thread here.

Price is one piece of a cog. He'll take us as far as the other 22 players and coaching staff help take us.

habs101

Dec 16, 2005

Absolutely agree, he is a good goalie, but not a Roy, we have outshot numerous opponents almost 2-1 numerous times and yet Price wasn't able to get us the win.

It is the style of play we are playing that will get us far, once we get Prust and Bourque back, and hopefully play the aggressive forechecking game again, we will be in the opponents end more then they will be in ours hopefully and thats the best defence!!

Our defence is the key to our goaltenders success!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
It depends on the play of his D and forwards in front of him.

If you allow Big Nose to be open in front of the net for an easy goal, then that is not Price's fault.

j52

Mar 7, 2007
Is Price supposed to score in those games? Montreal scores 1 goal in those two games and its Price's fault.

Last night, Budaj had a great shootout i dont deny that. Price was yanked to wake Montreal up. They fell apart and left him out to dry in the second period, then Montreal essentially took over the third for the comeback.

fwi, most shootouts never go to six shots for a goalie...

Mypoint, Price would have been scored upon well before the 6th shot, and the Habs would have lost. When your team is outplaying the other team, your goalie has to do likewise. Price is not showing anything.

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON
Stats don't really mean anything. For goalies. Team systems can really skew goalie stats either way. Wins do.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I wonder whether he's well coached. He's a good goalie positionally but way to prone to go down on his knees at the slightest shot attempt. I know the butterfly style is the way to go for most goalies today but sometime too much flopping gets him in trouble and he can't recover fast enough. I have faith he can take us a long way but I think he has regressed from his sophomore year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Folks who are comparing him to Brodeur or Roy will be disapointed, he's not at that level. But he's certainly good enough to win.

He rarely costs us games. Gives up the odd bad goal but he's very consistent and plays the percentages with his angles. He can definitely lead a good team to a cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad