The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carey Cost*

Oh sweet.. Probably another Deasharnais thread here.

Price is one piece of a cog. He'll take us as far as the other 22 players and coaching staff help take us.

Price can do some good saves once in a while but he can also be very very very very weak on others. We just need a goalie that is focus 100% of the time in a game.
I mean he was dominant in the first period why let 4 goals in the second? 2 fine its acceptable but 4 in one period when we are winning 2-0 ....COME ON.

Issacar

Jan 19, 2011
We just need to give Price the time to develop his potential. Does anyone realizes that Price has 8932074329084237423098 more games played hten Martin Brodeur at the same age?

(No I did not bother to look how many more games Price as played then Brodeur at comparable ages, but it's a whole lot of them).

People are way too impatient and wants players to be good now instead of giving them the time it takes....

Carey Cost*

We just need to give Price the time to develop his potential. Does anyone realizes that Price has 8932074329084237423098 more games played hten Martin Brodeur at the same age?

(No I did not bother to look how many more games Price as played then Brodeur at comparable ages, but it's a whole lot of them).

People are way too impatient and wants players to be good now instead of giving them the time it takes....

he could have had 132235456098486058430978607567346526457657565845673567356756757578549682968586572486509564087 more games played than Brodeur...But that doesnt make him a good goalie... just some one that Gainey drafted no5 overall and gave him all the chances in the world to show his potential.

After six years now we can say that Price is an avg goalie that likes to do rodeo in the summer.

Its like Jose Theodore, the guy won a Vezina and Hart, won in the juniors... he played for the Capitals when they were super hot but he never won a Stanley Cup and never will he win one. Theodore showed alot of potential but his weakness was in his head.

Very similar story with Price..kind of... just a couple of inches taller

CP31

Jun 19, 2012
Welland, ON
Price can do some good saves once in a while but he can also be very very very very weak on others. We just need a goalie that is focus 100% of the time in a game.
I mean he was dominant in the first period why let 4 goals in the second? 2 fine its acceptable but 4 in one period when we are winning 2-0 ....COME ON.
You literally can blame him for maybe 1 goal last game.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I think Price looks pretty good so far. I thought he did pretty well against the Bruins when we lost to them in 2011. He is pretty consistent overall, and goalies have up and down years too. He is still a young fellow. Tim Thomas was in his mid thirties when he won the cup and broke the save pct record.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
I think Price looks pretty good so far. I thought he did pretty well against the Bruins when we lost to them in 2011. He is pretty consistent overall, and goalies have up and down years too. He is still a young fellow. Tim Thomas was in his mid thirties when he won the cup and broke the save pct record.

Price had a very good playoffs in 2011... TT was just on another planet. It'll happen to Price at some point. You saw his season two years ago... he can be elite. Very few goalies are consistently elite... most good to great goalies are always good, and become great for certain stretches. Cam Ward as an example... MAF as another. Price has not had his best season, but it doesn't mean he won't go back to elite next season, or even in these playoffs. He's always capable of it!

He has a lot of pressure on him with this new contract, but I honestly would take only a handful of goalies before him.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Price has not had his best season, but it doesn't mean he won't go back to elite next season, or even in these playoffs. He's always capable of it!

That's just it. I mean, I don't want to predict the future and say Price is going to have some awesome seasons, but he is talented enough that he is able to reach that ceiling a few times. And there are no guarantees with any goalie. So yeah, I think he will probably have some hot years ahead of him. And for now, he has been quite reliable and steady.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
He's been under the microscope since he started with the Habs. He's generally a fantastic goalie with an awesome technique. I think people need to watch what the other goalies around the league are like. Some have really great stretches, but hey, Steve Penney was also like that.

The only time I've felt he was weak was against the Flyers when R.J. Umberger owned him over and over.

durojean

May 29, 2007
It's a long shot but I'd trade Price for 1 2nd or 3rd overall this year.

I want fair value for Price and he is a franchise goalie ( that I don't like ) .

But give me any of Jones Drouin or Mackinnon for Price... Any given time...

durojean

May 29, 2007
Price had a very good playoffs in 2011... TT was just on another planet. It'll happen to Price at some point. You saw his season two years ago... he can be elite. Very few goalies are consistently elite... most good to great goalies are always good, and become great for certain stretches. Cam Ward as an example... MAF as another. Price has not had his best season, but it doesn't mean he won't go back to elite next season, or even in these playoffs. He's always capable of it!

He has a lot of pressure on him with this new contract, but I honestly would take only a handful of goalies before him.

I'd just like to know... You say go back to elite....

When was he elite in his nhl career ? I've seen some pretty good stretches ( like Brian Boucher ) but he as never at any given time been elite...

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Has anyone seen the piece from Martin Leclerc on his blog ?

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/bloguesportif/2013/03/27/carey-price-ou-jose-theodore/

What do you guys think ?
I think his stats don't mean anything. I'd like to see what the stats were for goalies like Brian Hayward, Denis Herron, and all these 2nd goalies when they had a vastly superior #1 before them. They faced lesser teams, and they still had that fantastic team before them.

Searched for a stat quickly on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Montreal_Canadiens_season

Roy: 31-25-5
Racicot: 17-5-1
Chabot 1-0-0

Racicot and Chabot >>>> Roy

Can come up with more if you want.

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca

When was he elite in his nhl career ? I've seen some pretty good stretches ( like Brian Boucher ) but he as never at any given time been elite...

Its hard to debate with people like you if we have to point out the obvious.

How well versed in the semantics of goaltending are you?

You've already admitted you don't like him, at this point it seems like a petty vendetta unless you start bringing a strong, articulate discussion to the board.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

You're joking? How about the 2010-2011 season where he was 5th in votes for the Hart?

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
he could have had 132235456098486058430978607567346526457657565845673567356756757578549682968586572486509564087 more games played than Brodeur...But that doesnt make him a good goalie... just some one that Gainey drafted no5 overall and gave him all the chances in the world to show his potential.
r

Carey is still young too. But his stats have been pretty decent for the past few seasons, especially considering he does play a lot of games. A good goalie can contribute a lot to a cup win, but it's not like Price should be carrying the team or it's his fault we haven't won a cup yet. Go compare his stats to other great goalies out there now. Not much difference except a few them had one really hot year or two to bring their overall average up. Rinne was close to 30 before he finished with .930 save pct.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think his stats don't mean anything. I'd like to see what the stats were for goalies like Brian Hayward, Denis Herron, and all these 2nd goalies when they had a vastly superior #1 before them. They faced lesser teams, and they still had that fantastic team before them.

Searched for a stat quickly on Google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Montreal_Canadiens_season

Roy: 31-25-5
Racicot: 17-5-1
Chabot 1-0-0

Racicot and Chabot >>>> Roy

Can come up with more if you want.

That is one season though. You gotta look at it from 5-6 seasons.

I wonder if Roy's point percentage is higher than the team's point percentage over the time he was there.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
You're joking? How about the 2010-2011 season where he was 5th in votes for the Hart?

You can say he was elite then. But he has never repeated that. It's the only time in his career that he has played at that level.

But he's only 25-26... so the best is likely still ahead. I don't find him to be particularly impressive this year. He's alright, doing a decent job, but nothing jaw dropping, nothing worth a top 3 goalie cap hit. But I can understand we paid based on potential.

I just don't understand why it was so easy to pay for potential in Price's case but not in Subban's case but that's another debate altogether.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Just a little thing to add about the Leclerc article about winning %. Just compared Bunny Larocque and Ken Dryden's stats for the 5 years they were playing together (74-75 to 78-79):

DRYDEN
30-9-16
42-10-8
41-6-8
37-7-7
30-10-7

Total: 180-42-46

Games: 268
Pts: 406
%: 75,7

LAROCQUE

17-5-3
16-1-3
19-2-4
22-3-4
22-7-4

Total: 96-18-18
Games: 132
Pts: 210
%: 79,5

By Leclerc's logic, Price and Theodore had a bigger influence than Dryden's, and they were probably all lesser's goalies than Larocque, Racicot, Garon, Budaj etc.

Dryden was a scrub.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
You can say he was elite then. But he has never repeated that. It's the only time in his career that he has played at that level.

Not only was he good in that series but he finished that season with .923 save pct and played a lot of games. Not record breaking, but that's pretty darn good. And that was only two years ago so it's not like he will never repeat it. Last year he was .916 on a crappy team. He has actually been pretty good.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
That is one season though. You gotta look at it from 5-6 seasons.

I wonder if Roy's point percentage is higher than the team's point percentage over the time he was there.
I think the stat is useless. Maybe Roy had a better winning percentage than the team, or not, but it wouldn't mean anything either way.

Our backup goalies usually get the "easy" games against Colombus or the Colorado Rockies, so of course they'll have an easier time racking up wins and get a better winning % (and GAA) than the overall stats for the team.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think the stat is useless. Maybe Roy had a better winning percentage than the team, or not, but it wouldn't mean anything either way.

Our backup goalies usually get the "easy" games against Colombus or the Colorado Rockies, so of course they'll have an easier time racking up wins and get a better winning % (and GAA) than the overall stats for the team.

You are probably right.

But I'm not sure if using data before the 90ies is really relevant.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
You are probably right.

But I'm not sure if using data before the 90ies is really relevant.
For winning percentage vs team winning percentage, I don't think anything has changed. It applies to 70's teams and 2010's teams. It takes for granted that your #1 goalie should have a better winning % than the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad