The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Firstly, You may have forgotten your high school math so allow me to remind you that a difference of 2 or 3 or even 4 hundredths of a goal is called scraping the bottom of the excuse barrel. Except for one year the difference is so small it's statistically insignificant.

Secondly, Halak was also a rookie or are you too young to go that far back and Huet had two decent half seasons and was chased out of the league. Yeah Huet was barely an NHL goalie let alone a decent starting one.

It's just funny because you are trying in each situation to compare goalies with more experience to a younger Carey Price, and in each situation Price's numbers are better, despite his age and lack of experience. In other words your entire point was wrong, and it makes Price look better because he outperformed more experienced players after starting at a ridiculously young age (in goalie standards).

You also conveniently ignore the point I made where I said Price is probably one of the most valuable goalies in the league, because he is among the best in terms of statistics, yet still one of the youngest in the NHL while also having a ton of experience.

Price > Roy:yo:

I'm done with this conversation....at least for a while. The goal posts get moved with every post.

I love how you consistently respond with sarcasm whenever someone proves their point, and you keep saying the same stupid line because you lose every argument you engage yourself in.

MontrealFans

Apr 4, 2004
to all price haters:

price isnt going anywhere. hes our starting goalie. if you dont like it well too friggen bad. hes here to stay so just support him because hes the starting goalie of the team you love(supposedly).

p.s: watch other goalies around the league, watch the goals they let in, and youll see, price isnt at all as bad so you say he is, on the contrary, hes a fine goalie. im glad he plays on our team.

This

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
There is nothing wrong with people wanting their $6M goalie to be consistent.

However, the way every single play by Price gets magnified is ridiculous. I think I read someone here criticizing his routine after a whistle was blown.

Then again, some people here still think Gionta got paid $5M for a 48 goal season when David Clarkson is making $5.25M for one 30 goal campaign in his entire career. In other words, some people don't compare the Montreal Canadiens to their competition around the league. Only to the best Montreal Canadiens team they remember.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

However, the way every single play by Price gets magnified is ridiculous. I think I read someone here criticizing his routine after a whistle was blown.

Then again, some people here still think Gionta got paid $5M for a 48 goal season when David Clarkson is making $5.25M for one 30 goal campaign in his entire career. In other words, some people don't compare the Montreal Canadiens to their competition around the league. Only to the best Montreal Canadiens team they remember.

Clarkson signed his deal this past summer under a new CBA with a very thin market for skills. Can't compare him to Gionta that signed 4 years ago. Completely different situations.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
So what I am getting is when the detractors use stats against Price when people bring up some of the subjective stats like scoring chances, defense and quality of opponents. But when the stats show the for the majority of years Price puts up better numbers compared to his backups, Stats are now insiginificant

Did you look at the stats or did you just freaking read John Lennon's bias post?

First off John Lennon exaggerated. It's not all 6 years.

2 of the 6 years (in 09-10 & 12-13) the backups had better save percentage. But I didn't want to bring it up.

Secondly, Price's stats for 3 of the remaining 4 years are also insignificant.

Thirdly, But why stop at SV%. I also posted goals allowed. Why ignore those figures?

Fourthly, the last four years you'll see that Price's SV% is exactly like his backups and the first two years are where he outplays his backups. Incidentally those are the two years John Lennon & the Plastic Band was whining about.

In conclusion, I know Price plays more games but if Lafleurs Guy is right and elite goalies will play at about the same level as their backups then why not have two Budajs. Get them to share the load and take the 4-5 million we would not be spending on an elite goalie who is not giving us elite results and spend it on a top 4 d man or a top 6 forward?

But I don't agree with Lafleurs Guy. I think an elite goalie does outplay his backups. Of the 6 years Price has been here, he gave us one elite season.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's just funny because you are trying in each situation to compare goalies with more experience to a younger Carey Price, and in each situation Price's numbers are better, despite his age and lack of experience. In other words your entire point was wrong, and it makes Price look better because he outperformed more experienced players after starting at a ridiculously young age (in goalie standards).

You also conveniently ignore the point I made where I said Price is probably one of the most valuable goalies in the league, because he is among the best in terms of statistics, yet still one of the youngest in the NHL while also having a ton of experience.

I love how you consistently respond with sarcasm whenever someone proves their point, and you keep saying the same stupid line because you lose every argument you engage yourself in.

It's an absolute waste of time. You keep moving the goal posts. Your arguments are propped up by straw men and hyperbole.

I say Price is inconsistent.....you tell me he faces tougher shots. :laugh:

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
It's literally a handful of people that are over critical of Price.

Why is this thread still allowed to exist when the same argument for and against him is being made.

Literally going in circles.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's literally a handful of people that are over critical of Price.

Why is this thread still allowed to exist when the same argument for and against him is being made.

Literally going in circles.

It's literally a handful of people that are overly fanboys of Price.

thanks for bumping a thread that had died.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
It's literally a handful of people that are overly fanboys of Price.

thanks for bumping a thread that had died.

Ya because 4 hours = a dead thread.

More like a handful of people that can't judge talent even if talent itselfs said "hello."

P.S Look up the definition of contradiction.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

We'd have to back quite a while to name a Canadien goaltender who was better than Price. [If I hear Halak, the one-shot wonder, I'd puke on this thread if I could. Unfortunately, there's no emoticon for vomiting.]

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006
We'd have to back quite a while to name a Canadien goaltender who was better than Price. [If I hear Halak, the one-shot wonder, I'd puke on this thread if I could. Unfortunately, there's no emoticon for vomiting.]

I think the reason it makes you want to puke is the feeling you have inside telling you that we traded the wrong goalie. Don't get me wrong, we got a great return with Eller but you can book it when I say Halak will have a better career than Price. Might only be 2 games but he is off to a good start this year :)

Halak = 0.959%
Price = 0.918%

As far as why we "PRICE HATERS" like to stir the pot so much ... it's pretty simple .. we love hearing your lame and quite often ridiculous arguments for why Carey Price is a franchise all star legend in the making goaltender.

Agnostic said it best ... thanks for bumping

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
I think the reason it makes you want to puke is the feeling you have inside telling you that we traded the wrong goalie. Don't get me wrong, we got a great return with Eller but you can book it when I say Halak will have a better career than Price. Might only be 2 games but he is off to a good start this year :)

Halak = 0.959%
Price = 0.918%

As far as why we "PRICE HATERS" like to stir the pot so much ... it's pretty simple .. we love hearing your lame and quite often ridiculous arguments for why Carey Price is a franchise all star legend in the making goaltender.
So in other words...
"We like to troll."
Also...
"We are pissed that Halak got traded after being hot in 1 playoff series."

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Halak = 0.959%
Price = 0.918%

What's really lame is someone still talking about Halak, a goalie we moved 4 season ago. It's not like Halak has made a name for himself while in St-Louis, for various reasons, he still hasn't even reached the 60 goal plateau. So really, what's lame here is anybody still clinging on to the idea that Halak is this absolutely superior goalie.
If anything these two are even, with Price being more durable and with more potential, made complete sense to trade away Halak.
If you still don't understand that, then joke is on you buddy.

Jesus Price fans are just as annoying as Price haters or Halak fanboys. Don't exclude yourself.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013

Halak = 0.959%
Price = 0.918%

Easy: Price faced more quality shots

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
This thread feels like a late night Tony Marinaro show, with his west-island caller blaming the loss on Price and his Lasalle caller bashing the west-island caller.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
The reason we continuously compare Price to Halak its because they are about the same age and both of them played for the canadiens at the same time... It's the only relevant comparison you can make if you want to be objective. Both of them were Starters.

Halak played so well and Price sucked so much the management was forced to make Halak our no1 for the series.

And also if Price was 5.10 he wouldn't even be in the NHL.

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006
What's really lame is someone still talking about Halak, a goalie we moved 4 season ago. It's not like Halak has made a name for himself while in St-Louis, for various reasons, he still hasn't even reached the 60 goal plateau. So really, what's lame here is anybody still clinging on to the idea that Halak is this absolutely superior goalie.
If anything these two are even, with Price being more durable and with more potential, made complete sense to trade away Halak.
If you still don't understand that, then joke is on you buddy.

Jesus Price fans are just as annoying as Price haters or Halak fanboys. Don't exclude yourself.

What's even funnier is the amount of Carey Price fan boys that get all worked up whenever Halak's name is brought up in any goalie comparison conversation. It hurts to know we traded the wrong goalie and hurts even more to know Price isn't getting the job done or is the the star he was all hyped up to be. From day one .. he was the thoroughbred... Over the years we have had to live with every excuse in the book ....

First it was his age
Then it was the team in front of him
Then it was the goalie coach

I can guarantee you, this season it will be something else ... someone will get injured ( a la emelin) and all of a sudden Price's average at best season will be a direct function of the injuries the team had. Why can't Price just win us games on his own from time to time ????

Let's for the fun of it compare the 2 since the trade ... we have 3 seasons in total. Since Price played more games than Halak, we will use a win percentage.

Win %
Halak= 61 Wins / 121 Games = 50.4%
Price= 86 Wins / 176 Games = 48.9 %

G.A.A=
Halak=2.12 G.A.A
Price= 2.40 G.A.A

Shutouts
Halak = 17
Price= 15

Save %
Halak = .916%
Price = .916%

At the end of the day .. the Habs had to stick to their 1st rounder and not a 9th rounder. Price had the sexy name.

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
It's an absolute waste of time. You keep moving the goal posts. Your arguments are propped up by straw men and hyperbole.

I say Price is inconsistent.....you tell me he faces tougher shots. :laugh:

What are you even talking about? I never once mentioned anything about the difficulty of Price's shots... you obviously have no clue what you're even saying anymore, and you consistently lose your arguments with different posters here so you resort to whining about "moving goalposts"...

This is the second time you think I said something I never said. You obviously have no argument and keep resorting to whining when you lose. It's getting painful to watch.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Hahahaha now THIS is funny ... maybe if their name is Pierre Gauthier or Bob Gainey ?

Are you kidding me? Price has comparable stats, more games played and is younger than Rinne. You are absolutely delusional if you don't think he is one of the most valuable goalies in the league. How you don't think he's more valuable than Rinne is laughable.

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006
Are you kidding me? Price has comparable stats, more games played and is younger than Rinne. You are absolutely delusional if you don't think he is one of the most valuable goalies in the league. How you don't think he's more valuable than Rinne is laughable.

Comparable stats ? Really ... please show me.

Tell me what is your exact definition of valuable ? More importantly can you explain how Carey Price is valuable to the Canadiens ? What has he done for the Habs ?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What's even funnier is the amount of Carey Price fan boys that get all worked up whenever Halak's name is brought up in any goalie comparison conversation. It hurts to know we traded the wrong goalie and hurts even more to know Price isn't getting the job done or is the the star he was hyped up to be. Over the years we have had to live with every excuse in the book ....

First it was his age
Then it was the team in front of him
Then it was the goalie coach

I can guarantee you, this season it will be something else ... someone will get injured ( a la emelin) and all of a sudden Price's average at best season will be a direct function of the injuries the team had. Why can't Price just win us games on his own from time to time ????

Let's for the fun of it compare the 2 since the trade ... we have 3 seasons in total. Since Price played more games than Halak, we will use a win percentage.

Win %
Halak= 61 Wins / 121 Games = 50.4%
Price= 86 Wins / 176 Games = 48.9 %

G.A.A=
Halak=2.12 G.A.A
Price= 2.40 G.A.A

Shutouts
Halak = 17
Price= 15

Save %
Halak = .916%
Price = .916%

At the end of the day .. the Habs had to stick to their 1st rounder and not a 9th rounder. Price had the sexy name.

I've been saying ever since we traded Halak that we need to draft a goalie in case Price doesn't live up to his potential. We finally did it this year and am very glad we got Fucale.
Would I keep Halak over Price? No. I would trade Halak over and over again, just like I would re-sign Markov over and over again the year he got re-injured. All things considered, at the time, it was the absolute right decision.
If Halak had become this amazingly dominant keeper in the Western conference, then you'd have a point, but you are showing how even the two have been. 1.5% difference in wins, same Sv%, 2 SO difference, GAA is the only big margin but if you'd look at Elliott's numbers then you'd see it's likely more of a team thing.
So, considering Price is younger and has/had more potential, it makes complete sense that we'd keep him. It's seriously very simple to understand, but I can't expect logic to overcome bias.

Btw, your stats are lame.
Let's do the same with Jona Quick shall we?
GAA: 2.45
Sv %: .910
SO: 17
Wins %: 52

I guess you'd pick Halak over Quick too.

Using 4 stats to analyze a goalie is only done by clueless fans on HF. If it were really that simple to notice who's the better guy, then running a NHL team would be the easiest job in the world.

You like Halak more than Price? Great. Cheer for him. But Price is the goalie of the Habs, it's been 4 seasons, I suggest you get over it already because it's pretty freaking lame.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Comparable stats ? Really ... please show me.

Tell me what is your exact definition of valuable ? More importantly can you explain how Carey Price is valuable to the Canadiens ? What has he done for the Habs ?

What has Lundquist done for the Rangers? What has Miller done for the Sabres? What has Luongo done for the Nucks? What has Howard done for the Red Wings? What has Rinne done for the Preds?

Have any of these goaltenders won a cup? Does that imply that all these goalies bring no value to their teams?

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad