The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If he lets in more than 2 goals, he sucks.
If he loses, he sucks. Even if its 1-0, since the other goalie didn't allowed any goal.
If he let's in a breakaway goal, he sucks, top paid goalie should make always make those key save.
If he wins with under 25 saves, he deserves no credit.
If he wins against a non-playoffs team, he deserves no credit.
If he plays well and get a 30 shots+ shutout. Well, that's his job anyways, he's getting paid 6.5M$ to do so.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
If he loses, he sucks. Even if its 1-0, since the other goalie didn't allowed any goal.
If he let's in a breakaway goal, he sucks, top paid goalie should make always make those key save.
If he plays well and get a 30 shots+ shutout. Well, that's his job anyways, he's getting paid 6.5M$ to do so.

haha good chart! whenever any of those can be applied to a comment, ignore comment. :laugh:

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I was a big Price defender last year and while I'm not a hater, I do think it's simply fact that he has to be better. As much as the guy a few posts up satirized the 6.5M comment, it's the truth. He's one of the highest paid goalies in the NHL and is playing at a level where he should be in the top ~20.

I believe in the talent and he's probably the most naturally talented goalie in the world, but this year is a pretty big one. I'm confident he can shut the critics up this year but until then I'm considering us as having a top 20-15 goalie in the NHL rather than the top 5 one we're paying for. And that's fine, in today's NHL you can be perfectly successful with a top 20-15 goalie, but it does kinda suck when you're paying for a top 5.

If Waite can help Niemi and Crawford play well, I hope he can do the same for Price who is substantially more talented than either guy. I like the stuff he's said to the media about getting Price to move cross crease on his feet, if Carey can work some of that into his game we should be golden.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was a big Price defender last year and while I'm not a hater, I do think it's simply fact that he has to be better. As much as the guy a few posts up satirized the 6.5M comment, it's the truth. He's one of the highest paid goalies in the NHL and is playing at a level where he should be in the top ~20.

I believe in the talent and he's probably the most naturally talented goalie in the world, but this year is a pretty big one. I'm confident he can shut the critics up this year but until then I'm considering us as having a top 20-15 goalie in the NHL rather than the top 5 one we're paying for. And that's fine, in today's NHL you can be perfectly successful with a top 20-15 goalie, but it does kinda suck when you're paying for a top 5.

If Waite can help Niemi and Crawford play well, I hope he can do the same for Price who is substantially more talented than either guy. I like the stuff he's said to the media about getting Price to move cross crease on his feet, if Carey can work some of that into his game we should be golden.

I'm very much in the same boat as you but be careful. Labeling Price as a top 15-20 goalie is enough to get you lumped in with the haters.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
I'm very much in the same boat as you but be careful. Labeling Price as a top 15-20 goalie is enough to get you lumped in with the haters.

that's ridiculous, plus he's coming off as very moderate & reasoned.

The thing with judging Carey by his contract is that the money a player makes dont really reflect on their skills. Price has been playing like a top 15 and maybe that's what he is, or maybe he's more, but the one who gave him top 5 money was the team's GM. You cant fault the player for signing a bloated contract on the basis that it should reflect his skill level. Also, Montreal has a history of paying more for players, due to taxes and flying lemmings.

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006

Works both ways buddy .....

if he lets in 1-2 goals and the habs win, he is automatically the first star of the game (like the game against the flyers, getting all the praise)
if he wins, no matter how many shots he faced, he is our savior.
If he saves 1 out of 10 breakaways, he will be praised for that 1 save.
If he loses with over 25 saves, it's our defence's fault.
If he loses against a playoff team, he still deserves all the credit in the world.
If he plays like crap and lets in 5+ goals, it's okay because he is Carey Price and our defence is at fault.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
that's ridiculous, plus he's coming off as very moderate & reasoned.

The thing with judging Carey by his contract is that the money a player makes dont really reflect on their skills. Price has been playing like a top 15 and maybe that's what he is, or maybe he's more, but the one who gave him top 5 money was the team's GM. You cant fault the player for signing a bloated contract on the basis that it should reflect his skill level. Also, Montreal has a history of paying more for players, due to taxes and flying lemmings.

I'm not judging Price on his contract. I'm responding to the posters who keep claiming that he is a top 5 goalie. Maybe he is but he hasn't shown it yet.

And i don't think the previous poster said top 15 goalie. I think he said top 15-20 goalie. I understood it to mean he would rank price as the 15-20 best goalie in the league. It's where I would put him too. Between 15 & 20.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm not judging Price on his contract. I'm responding to the posters who keep claiming that he is a top 5 goalie. Maybe he is but he hasn't shown it yet.

And i don't think the previous poster said top 15 goalie. I think he said top 15-20 goalie. I understood it to mean he would rank price as the 15-20 best goalie in the league. It's where I would put him too.

What I meant is that in any given year we can assume he'll be in the top 15-20 in the NHL at this point. Doesn't mean he won't have good years where he's closer to the top 5, but year in year out he's shown that he's in the top 15-20 or so with flashes of greatness. I'd like to see him pull it together for an extended period of time.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

if he lets in 1-2 goals and the habs win, he is automatically the first star of the game (like the game against the flyers, getting all the praise)
If he loses against a playoff team, he still deserves all the credit in the world.
If he plays like crap and lets in 5+ goals, it's okay because he is Carey Price and our defence is at fault.

I would duck & run if I were you.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

And i don't think the previous poster said top 15 goalie. I think he said top 15-20 goalie. I understood it to mean he would rank price as the 15-20 best goalie in the league. It's where I would put him too. Between 15 & 20.

Just curious, who are these 15 goalies who are better than Price?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Good reply.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Nice try but some of your claims are simply not true.

I agree with the star selection though,. When he wins and lets in under 2 goals, he will always be in the top 2 star regardless how he played. Last game was the perfectly example.

About people calling him a savior when he wins, not true. Far from the truth actually.
Same for him stopping a breakaway. He can stop one but he get allows a deflected goal, people will forget the breakaway save quite fast.
I rarely see people blaming the defense before Price, especially on this board.

It does go both ways but at some point, we should stop blaming Price for everything. I don't ask the fans to be delusional but he is OUR goalie, he can't win or stop them all. It's just getting stupid to blame him on every single goal just because of his contract.

Habz2006

Sep 28, 2006
Nice try but some of your claims are simply not true.

I agree with the star selection though,. When he wins and lets in under 2 goals, he will always be in the top 2 star regardless how he played. Last game was the perfectly example.

About people calling him a savior when he wins, not true. Far from the truth actually.
Same for him stopping a breakaway. He can stop one but he get allows a deflected goal, people will forget the breakaway save quite fast.
I rarely see people blaming the defense before Price, especially on this board.

It does go both ways but at some point, we should stop blaming Price for everything. I don't ask the fans to be delusional but he is OUR goalie, he can't win or stop them all. It's just getting stupid to blame him on every single goal just because of his contract.

No one questions his intent or talent to be a star goalie in this league ... but it takes more than just intent/talent to be a franchise goalie. Carey Price since day 1 has been labelled as our number 1 and he hasn't proved he is anything out of the ordinary. He is usually on the bottom end of the goalie leaders each year AND what bugs me even more is his performances in the playoffs .. we need him to win us a game on his own from time to time .... when do you ever see that from Price ? If the habs have a bad game defensively or as a whole and price loses it's okay to say the team played bad in front of him BUT sometimes the goalie needs to put in a crazy performance to pull his team out of it and STEAL a win ... Price NEVER does that.

Why don't you go take a look at Craig Anderson's playoff performance last year OR (hate to bring this up again) Halak's performance for MTL years back ? THAT is what we need from him .. especially with the fact that he is paid as a top 5 goalie in the league.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I was harsh on Price after the first game, but I think he played really well and looked composed & confident in the net against the Flyers. Here's hoping he keeps it up!

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
No one questions his intent or talent to be a star goalie in this league ... but it takes more than just intent/talent to be a franchise goalie. Carey Price since day 1 has been labelled as our number 1 and he hasn't proved he is anything out of the ordinary. He is usually on the bottom end of the goalie leaders each year AND what bugs me even more is his performances in the playoffs .. we need him to win us a game on his own from time to time .... when do you ever see that from Price ? If the habs have a bad game defensively or as a whole and price loses it's okay to say the team played bad in front of him BUT sometimes the goalie needs to put in a crazy performance to pull his team out of it and STEAL a win ... Price NEVER does that.

I'm not too worried for the regular season. Although sometimes, he lacks consistency but he's easily good enough to help us make the playoffs.

It is the playoffs that worries me more. He has indeed showed nothing spectacular in the playoffs so far in his career. I gotta to say it's borderline mediocre. We need him to pull a Ward, Thomas or Quick etc.

I still wish to see Price being more pro-active. He still look non-achalent out there and I've been saying this for years. He should not based too much on his technique and think it's "good" enough. He's usually good at stopping clean shot but once it gets deflected, he's done. I really hope Waite will change that bad habit.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom

I don't put too much into the star selections, it's a popularity contest. But in the case of the Flyers game, he was amazing and deserved he first star. He made a lot of saves he had no business making.

As for the rest, you're trying too hard to make a direct argument and a lot of them don't hold up. Has anyone praised a goalie for making 1/10 saves on penalty shots? If the one save was nice we'll be happy but we won't absolve the rest.

We don't give him credit for losing against a good team.

If he lets in 5+ goals we don't say it's okay.

All in all, your logic is pretty awful, I get what you're trying to do, but it's still awful.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
I think Price is a good goalie in this league, it is the fact that he's been labelled "great" for years around here that gets on my nerves, and the hordes that attack you if you dare say otherwise in this thread or all the GDTs...

He's yet to prove he is "great" in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad