The Captaincy

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Not to mention that it is pretty common for a team's best player and leader to yell at guys when they aren't doing their job. Messier was renowned for the "stare" and getting at guys when they deserved it. Funny how he was never accused of hating anyone that he called out.

Problem is there are a ton of people around here that think Yakupov needs to be handled with kid gloves and is thus immune from accountability. I'll never for the life of me understand the logic of the people that fawn over Yakupov and concurrently hate on guys like Hall that you know, actually produce and do their job.

Roy yelling at Yakupov and Hall yelling at Yakupov are two different things imo. Hall is/was known for having emotional outbursts borne from frustration. That being said, he's become much more mature now, but I still don't think he will be the captain. It will be McDavid.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
C-McDavid
A-Hall
A-Nuge then Nurse

Hall is defacto captain in the same way mess sorta was and mcdavid is the captain by letter in the same way gretzky was...in that you live or die by those guys.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I was never a big fan of the trend to give young players the C. Crosby, Tavares, Landeskog, etc. Toews is the one guy that probably earned it. Bit of a conspiracy but I think it has a lot to do with just selling jerseys. I think the person who wears the C is pretty irrelevant. So, I guess give it to McDavid, doesn't really matter. The oilers have had a long tradition of giving it to vets (some times not good hockey players, Ference, Moreau etc). I really don't think it will matter all that much in the end. The big thing is I would not give it to McDavid until he has played at least one full season. So, either give it to Hall permanently or to Hendriks or something for a year then to McDavid.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
McDavid will be the next captain of this team. No sense giving it to anyone else temporarily just to take it away from them later. We will just run without a captain until McDavid emerges as the leader of this team. It probably won't be long. Maybe as soon as next season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Agreed I think it will be next season as well.

If McDavid is leading our team in scoring by Jan/Feb next year and we are pushing for a playoff spot, I think it becomes extremely easy to give it to him. No one would be able to argue with that, there is plenty of precedent for an elite talent that is making it apparent he's the best player on the team getting the C at a young age.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If McDavid is leading our team in scoring by Jan/Feb next year and we are pushing for a playoff spot, I think it becomes extremely easy to give it to him. No one would be able to argue with that, there is plenty of precedent for an elite talent that is making it apparent he's the best player on the team getting the C at a young age.

I agree.
If it happens, I bet TSN and morons like Damien Cox will crap on the oilers for it. He's too young! Too much pressure!

-Sidney Crosby ring a bell?-

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad