The Captain Thread

RCee

Oilers Anointed One
Apr 22, 2015
Heaven sent
Currently 97 votes for McDavid. I think that's all we need to know fellas. It was meant to be.

Close the poll.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
Give it to Lucic. He's a leader no doubt. Let McDavid be the best player, enough pressure there already.

Who want's a boss who leads by example? Sounds like an excuse for someone who doesnt know how to lead.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Give it to Lucic. He's a leader no doubt. Let McDavid be the best player, enough pressure there already.

Who want's a boss who leads by example? Sounds like an excuse for someone who doesnt know how to lead.

lol you can lead by example as well as other ways, its not one form or another cut and dry

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Hopefully not McDavid, too young, but it is likely him who will be the Captain.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I got bored and was watching mcd highlights and I still can't believe we got him. So unbelievably skilled. I have been wanting to go no captain next season again but damn, I think this is the type of teenager men will follow. The way he got up after breaking his collarbone was big for the respect required to lead the team.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Not giving it to McDavid is delaying the inevitable. If you know he's the leader, then give it to him now. Who cares if it's only been 45 games.

It'll finally be nice having our best player as a captain. No more of these "all talk, no game" captains like Ference, Horcoff, Moreau, etc. McDavid will lead by example.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I love and hate the idea of McDavid as Captain.

Does anyone here have a boss who is well over a decade younger than them? And how does it feel to know you're supposed to be following someone 10+ years your junior?

Do you believe that extremely young boss has a good idea on how to deal with low morale?
Unifying a fractured work culture?
Do they know how to empathize?
Motivate?
Get the most out of a team?

I assume that most on these boards are young people, but trust me that in your future career you will most certainly have one or several bosses who are more than a decade younger than you are. The first time it happens, and especially in the beginning, it can feel weird but it normally does not take very long until you realise "why" this person is where he (or she) is.

Anyway, the way you put it it sounds as if McDavid was up for coach/GM.

Here is the thing though, McDavid and the people around him probably knew at a fairly young age that the probability of him becoming one of the most important players in hockey was quite high. At that point I bet my left sock that the "grooming" started (not in a bad way), i.e. learn how to deal with the media, be a role model, etc etc. He could have been a person who didn't take these things to heart but honestly he strikes me as the very opposite, work ethic, lead by example, already expressing the importance of each and every player in the room (even the healthy scratches) and so on.

Last edited:

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Lander - C
Klefbom - A
Adam Eagle Larsson - A
Jonas 2nd Backup Monster Gustavsson - A

or they could and will go with McDavid - C, Eberle - A, Lucic - A, Ference - A.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011

It should be him though.

Part of how the team handled the prior early picks incorrectly had to do with the captaincy.

They very publicly and repeatedly crowed about how these players were going to lead the team out of the basement. they clearly put the burden of leadership on them, especially Hall. They then undercut that sentiment by giving the captaincy to a series of underperforming vets.

IMO, this is likely a big part of any rift that formed in the locker room. You had a group of entitled young players who had been sold as the future of the team, and a group of entitled vets given positions of leadership to which they woefully fell short [Horcoff, Smytty, Ference-who had done nothing for the Oilers.]

Neither had any respect for the others, though the vets were way less professional in their constant griping to the media.

So though likely none were great candidates it was a huge mistake to give the official leadership to players who not only did nothing to deserve it [this applies to both groups,] but also were not in any long term plans for the team.

So now it is clear that this team is going to built around and for McDavid. He is already mature, and consensus in the locker room is that he is the de facto leader [even reputedly "selfish" Hall had said so much.] Offer it to him, and commit to that single long term direction.

Stop gap captains always muddy the waters about the direction of the team.

Let McD decide if he is ready for that role and its challenges.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

McDavid is ready and this team is ready to follow him. It's a new era, let's sit back and enjoy the ride!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad