The Captain Thread

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I don't disagree with everything you said. However, i don't think being the most talented player on the team equals to being the best leader or indicative of superior leadership abilities over other players on the roster.... yet.

I never said being the best player = being the best leader. I commented that he was the best player (which isn't necessary to being the captain, but it helps), and went on to discuss his personality. His personality is the biggest reason why I think he can handle being captain even at his age.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its impossible to see McDavid on the ice and not think he is giving his all everytime he goes on the ice. Lead by example, its not a question that he is the best player and that other players hold him in a very high regard.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
McDavid it is. I should have put Hendriks on the poll too. I am surprised Nuge gets no votes, shows you how much people are down on him.

Just give it to McDavid.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I never said being the best player = being the best leader. I commented that he was the best player (which isn't necessary to being the captain, but it helps), and went on to discuss his personality. His personality is the biggest reason why I think he can handle being captain even at his age.

Fair enough.

For the record, i don't disagree with McDavid as captain. I was looking at the other side of the argument because if you play the game "What will the Toronto media say about this move" in regards to the Oilers you know they will point to his lack of NHL experience even though to us Oilers fans the choice is obvious.

I wouldn't be against Hendricks as captain for a little while or a group of assistant captains for one season either. It's obvious that McDavid will be captain. The only question that remains is when?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wait, what? Someone voted Klefbom? I'm actually curious as to what the reasoning is for that one... He seems mature enough, but has been injured and hasn't really shown any exceptional leadership ability as far as I can tell.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Someone should post that GIF of the offside call against the Ducks in the final seconds of a game last year, where McDavid almost loses it on a linesman, but regains his composure. That GIF tells you everything you need to know about his poise and maturity. Hall would have been chirping that linesman all the way to the bench.

This kid is a special personality. His off ice work ethic, attitude on the ice, and game breaking talent level make him a far better candidate than any current member of the team.

This one? :laugh:

szhgwTb.gif

This one from streamable.com shows the play as well
https://streamable.com/mrdl

Last edited:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
They'll name Hendrix the captain.... then he'll proceed to play all of 15 games next year. I call it Ethan Moreau Syndrome.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He was born to captain an NHL team. Heck, he'll be a Team Canada captain for that matter.

Quit beating around the bush and over-thinking it.

Just put the C on 97's jersey, already.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Fair enough.

For the record, i don't disagree with McDavid as captain. I was looking at the other side of the argument because if you play the game "What will the Toronto media say about this move" in regards to the Oilers you know they will point to his lack of NHL experience even though to us Oilers fans the choice is obvious.

I wouldn't be against Hendricks as captain for a little while or a group of assistant captains for one season either. It's obvious that McDavid will be captain. The only question that remains is when?

I'm sure Crosby being made captain was looked at weird at first, since I believe he was the first to be made captain that young. But then Landeskog was made captain so it was like a new standard. McDavid has only played half a season, so he's below the Crosby/Landeskog standard, but maybe the answer is just that there is no standard. McDavid seems ready to be captain. Maybe some day a team will draft a player, and the jersey they put on him at the draft stage will have a C on it.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I love and hate the idea of McDavid as Captain.

Does anyone here have a boss who is well over a decade younger than them? And how does it feel to know you're supposed to be following someone 10+ years your junior?

Do you believe that extremely young boss has a good idea on how to deal with low morale?
Unifying a fractured work culture?
Do they know how to empathize?
Motivate?
Get the most out of a team?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Does anyone here have a boss who is well over a decade younger than them? And how does it feel to know you're supposed to be following someone 10+ years your junior?

Do you believe that extremely young boss has a good idea on how to deal with low morale?
Motivate?

I agree, also the captain talks to refs, does a ref listen to a 19 year old?

It doesn't make a lot of sense, I honestly think a lot of the young captains get named simply to sell jerseys, a bit of a conspiracy theory, but seriously, I bet jersey sales go way up with that C on it.

Ideally you could wait a few years, but there really is no other great option right now. So I imagine McDavid gets it, and I am fine with that.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

Motivate?

is that boss who is a decade younger than you better at every single aspect of your job? does having someone with the skills head and shoulders above everyone else make you a better worker?

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
id rather just name mcdavid the captain because anyone else that is named is just a place holder and anyone who is ok with being a placeholder captain shouldnt be a captain anyway

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
id rather just name mcdavid the captain because anyone else that is named is just a place holder and anyone who is ok with being a placeholder captain shouldnt be a captain anyway

That is it, ideally we would already have a Captian and a good one. A vet player that leads the team ect, but we don't. So may as well skip the step of naming a place holder.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
is that boss who is a decade younger than you better at every single aspect of your job? does having someone with the skills head and shoulders above everyone else make you a better worker?

although i voted to give mcdavid the captaincy, i really don't like the idea very much.... just too young, and the post prior to this gave some pretty good examples as to why it might not work

but this is also an exceptionally good point as well... mcdavid is miles and miles better than anybody else on the team, and with the NHL being such a "results based" workplace, that matters... it matters a lot

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

I don't think skill is any kind of indicator of leadership. I define leadership as experience and empathy.

Being the best at something doesn't make you a good leader although it CAN help when it comes to commanding respect. It's why Seguin wasn't given a letter in Boston.

BTW, I would give a Euro and/or a Dman a letter.

I hate like the idea of a clique running a room again. I'd opt for Klef to be given an A, but Larsson could very well grow into it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
When you celebrate the goals of the teammates like it's your own, you deserve to be captain.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think skill is any kind of indicator of leadership. I define leadership as experience and empathy.

Being the best at something doesn't make you a good leader although it CAN help when it comes to commanding respect. It's why Seguin wasn't given a letter in Boston.

BTW, I would give a Euro and/or a Dman a letter.

I hate like the idea of a clique running a room again. I'd opt for Klef to be given an A, but Larsson could very well grow into it.

thats a fair point but mcdavid is a natural leader as well as he commands respect. we've tried the blue collar aplha male type captain (moreau, ference, smith) we tried the neutral hard worker guy (horcoff). the reality is McDavid will be an oiler longer than probably anyone else on the roster today and in the future. its going to be his way or else. he has the confidence of his management and coaches and i would assume his teammates. no one is going to seriously respect a hendricks type that plays 12 mins a game and most likely wont be an oiler in 3 years. he may be 19 but he will be an oiler....and the best oiler and the leader for the next 15 years. why prolong it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad