The Captain Thread

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
McDavid.

by giving to anyone else but Connor we are just delaying the inevitable. Now that Hall is gone, it's his team to lead.
/thread

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid. Just give him the reigns and let him go with it. Hell, the wily vets Lucic and Hendricks already seem to hold him in high regard. We'll find out soon as per the TM quote about it. Start of training camp seems to be the time it'll come out.

That was a brief bit I heard on the radio today.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the 6th man, the fans (cringe). Just give it to McDavid already.

I don't feel in the mood to go from no captain at all to some placeholder captain. It just feels like we're putting the team on hold. If McDavid isn't ready for the C, it kind of means that the Oilers aren't ready to win

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
The best player on the team. The guy who hates losing more than anybody else. The reason we have people like Lucic, Chia, and McClellan in the organization. The will, the skill... CAPTAIN MCDAVID.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I have said it before (since the draft 2015 basically) and will again: McDavid will be given the C sometime before 24 October 2016 making him in effect the youngest captain ever in the NHL. That will give another badge to his name (not that he needs it but still) and a lot of publicity for the organization.

I have been against this since I thought (think) it was inevitable and done for the wrong reasons, but in the end there is really no one else I could see taking it and I also don't feel like going another season without a captain.

edit: then there are these things which seem to come natural for McDavid:
Whether you’re the youngest guy on the team or the oldest guy, (whether) you’re a healthy scratch or whatever, everyone has a place in the locker room. Everyone gets their chance to voice their opinion.
Many players say these things but it normally sounds rehearsed imo.

Last edited:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
So who would you want? Ideally we have a old vet now, that is already captain and will hand it over to McDavid in a year or two. But we don't, so just give it to McDavid.

Eberle. :laugh:

no thanks to Lucic. I am always against a player being captain who hasn't even played a game for the team.

at this point, is really has to be McDavid. he's the man, and it's his team. give him the C and let him grow into it like Stevie Y.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I know how most of you will respond but I have to point this out...

Can we give the "C" to a player with less than 50 games of NHL experience?

Most young captains get the C around 19-20 years old but they played 1 or 2 full seasons in the NHL by the time they are given the keys to the team.

So i'm asking this as a legitimate question, does McDavid playing 45 games last year change how you look at the captaincy situation of the Oilers even though he's the obvious candidate? The alternative is to give the C for a year or two to a vet like Hendricks or do we go a year with a bunch of assistant captains and no C and give it to McDavid for the 2016-2017 season.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
It's going to be Mcdavid, the organization and players have been telegraphing the move for months now. They aren't going to waste time with a transitional captain, nor is there any reason to delay the inevitable when Mcdavid is already regarded as the leader of the team by the players on the team itself.

For some of the other choices up there; Lucic would be a ridiculously poor choice for the role given his temperament, Eberle/RNH would be laughable choices due to their inconsistent effort levels, system buy-in, overall dedication, and tenuous futures with the franchise, and Hendrick probably won't even be here in a year.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

Most young captains get the C around 19-20 years old but they played 1 or 2 full seasons in the NHL by the time they are given the keys to the team.

So i'm asking this as a legitimate question, does McDavid playing 45 games last year change how you look at the captaincy situation of the Oilers even though he's the obvious candidate? The alternative is to give the C for a year or two to a vet like Hendricks or do we go a year with a bunch of assistant captains and no C and give it to McDavid for the 2016-2017 season.

What is it that you think he's lacking from playing only 45 games? He's already the best player on the team and one of the best players in the league. He's already used to having microphones in his face everywhere he goes. Maybe you think he can't handle the added pressure; if so, I disagree. Besides, I doubt he faces the same scrutiny or pressure as a 1st year, 19 year old captain that a long time vet would have to deal with... people, even in the media I would think, will be a little easier on him.

Do you think he can't handle the job as far as his team mates are concerned? Again, I would disagree. Not only is he mature well beyond his years but I've noticed how well he is liked by all kinds of players of all different ages. They gravitate towards him, they respect him, and they genuinely like him. I know that's not easy for a 19 year old sophomore to pull off, but McDavid does it effortlessly.

Finally, I had to throw this in for fun. Yes, McD is known everywhere and he is everywhere. :laugh:

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?McDavid+conducts+hockey+clinic+for+kids+in+China&id=581892

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Aside from injuries, I think Klef would make a good captain. Also signed 8 years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I fall in line with many others. I don't expect him to be Yzerman or Messier next year or even the year after, he will develop and improve as a leader, but there's no reason to dick around, give the C to McDavid, it's his team.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton

That's a totally legit question to be asking. I'd think many would agree here.

Normally I'd agree in every situation presented that a kid playing 45 games should NOT be named the captain. But this guy is just predisposed to this role. Too me he's a natural. His talent far exceeds his on ice capabilities.... McDavid is just someone people will tend to follow because of his character. The talent is one thing but the character is something else....and it's big.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
What is it that you think he's lacking from playing only 45 games? He's already the best player on the team and one of the best players in the league. He's already used to having microphones in his face everywhere he goes. Maybe you think he can't handle the added pressure; if so, I disagree. Besides, I doubt he faces the same scrutiny or pressure as a 1st year, 19 year old captain that a long time vet would have to deal with... people, even in the media I would think, will be a little easier on him.

Do you think he can't handle the job as far as his team mates are concerned? Again, I would disagree. Not only is he mature well beyond his years but I've noticed how well he is liked by all kinds of players of all different ages. They gravitate towards him, they respect him, and they genuinely like him. I know that's not easy for a 19 year old sophomore to pull off, but McDavid does it effortlessly.

Finally, I had to throw this in for fun. Yes, McD is known everywhere and he is everywhere. :laugh:

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?McDavid+conducts+hockey+clinic+for+kids+in+China&id=581892

I don't disagree with everything you said. However, i don't think being the most talented player on the team equals to being the best leader or indicative of superior leadership abilities over other players on the roster.... yet.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I don;t think they should name a Captain, as McDavid will be the Captain.

But I don't think McDavid should be the Captain next year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I don't disagree with everything you said. However, i don't think being the most talented player on the team equals to being the best leader or indicative of superior leadership abilities over other players on the roster.... yet.

Someone should post that GIF of the offside call against the Ducks in the final seconds of a game last year, where McDavid almost loses it on a linesman, but regains his composure. That GIF tells you everything you need to know about his poise and maturity. Hall would have been chirping that linesman all the way to the bench.

This kid is a special personality. His off ice work ethic, attitude on the ice, and game breaking talent level make him a far better candidate than any current member of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad