GDT: The Canucks and the Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can't believe I'll ever lean toward this poster's sentiments... but looks like he called it.. Sbisa playing better than Gudbranson this year. Hahaha! (Although we still got games left + Guddy has been injured... hahaha)

Anyhow, I'm wondering what's everyone's sentiments on who to protect this off-season especially taking into consideration the better play of Baertschi.. and maybe even Granlund of late?

I still want the Canucks to keep Hansen... 30 yrs old or what not.. I think guys take better care of themselves nowadays and I always cringe abit whenever the mainstream media refers to any athlete, "Oh he's on the wrong side of his career" blah blah...

Would anyone be opposed to leaving Eriksson or one of the Sedins unprotected? Although I could totally see why we shouldn't do that because VGK could hold us ransom to trade Loui or a Sedin back to us.

I make a lot of predictions and will admit it if is wrong - like I didnt think Baertchi would be any good. But yeah this one seemed obvious about this dud that we gave up Mccann and top end picks for. Really unfortunate that were stuck with him and really really unfortunate that Benning will probably protect his #7/8 bum from expansion :shakehead

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Will definitely be interesting to see who gets protected..
Or if there are any surprises from the following prediction list:

Protected F
Sedin, Sedin, Erkisson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter plus one of Hansen or Granlund
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Dorsett, Rodin, Gaunce, Burrows, etc)

Proteced D
Edler, Tanev, plus one of Gudbranson or Sbisa
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Biega, Pedan, Larsen, Subban, etc)

Would not be surprised to see Benning try to strike a minor deal for them to take a prospect since we're in a position to where our 4th dman and 8th forward are useful pieces at the moment.

Protecting Sutter over Hansen would be ... well, pretty par for the course actually.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'd let Eriksson go in a heartbeat and keep Baertschi, Granlund and Hansen. Sutter will be protected, he's "foundational".

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hansen will definitely be traded. He's worth a late first/2nd round draft pick

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd let Eriksson go in a heartbeat and keep Baertschi, Granlund and Hansen. Sutter will be protected, he's "foundational".

If we have a new GM by the time we gotta protect players you gotta HOPE the new GM will ask ERiksson to wave his NMC so Las Vegas can select him

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
If we have a new GM by the time we gotta protect players you gotta HOPE the new GM will ask ERiksson to wave his NMC so Las Vegas can select him

Doesn't work that way. He'd have to get dealt prior. NMC is automatically on protected list.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013

I have no confidence that a good deal will happen, involving anyone. Benning's failure last year at the deadline and his poor asset management in general means he won't try to swap Hansen at this years deadline, when his value will be highest and he can recoup a good prospect and a draft pick to a team making a Cup run. Instead, Benning (or his successor) will be forced to scramble prior to the expansion draft to retain its best lineups when the market and value-for-assets is in wild bear market. Exposing Sutter, Gudbrandson (if signed) makes best sense if everything remains the same.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Eriksson was exposed (which he won't be), he would never, ever in a hundred million years be selected. That contract is one of the worst in the NHL and he has negative value as an asset.

Why does everyone seem to the think that the players we'd want to get rid of are the players they'd want to select?

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
No cat man, you're wrong.

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Teams can ask players to waive for expansion.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
Protected Forwards:
Danny
Hank
Loui
Sutter
Megna
Chaput
Skille

Protected Defensemen:
Guddy
Sbisa
Larsen

Protected Goalie:
Miller

Yeah I know that most of these guys cant even be protected as FA's but I'm not so sure management does...

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Besides Horvat and Tanev, I really don't care for what happens to anyone else.

Ideally deal Hansen at the TDL.

Can keep Edler and protect or trade at the draft.

Marky is ok but fine either way.

Pretty much this right here. Outside of Horvat and Tanev we don't really have any assets I'd be terribly disappointed losing in the expansion process. Obviously we'll be keeping Markstrom too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

A shrewd GM in the Canucks position would put both Hansen and Tanev in play at the deadline....and reap a bounty that could seriously jump-start this bumbling rebuild....but is there a single poster out there confident it will ever happen with Benning?

M2Beezy

Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I'd be fine losing Granlund. He's very average.

Agreed. But would Las Vegas want a useless guy like that? They need guys who can drive a line and maybe help win a couple a games here in there. The Wrong Granlund is NOT that guy. If Dim Jim exposes Sbisa i bet they would take him over TWG

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A shrewd GM in the Canucks position would put both Hansen and Tanev in play at the deadline....and reap a bounty that could seriously jump-start this bumbling rebuild....but is there a single poster out there confident it will ever happen with Benning?
I would rather dump gudbranson while he still had some value around the league. Some old school sucker will give us a first. Save us from getting stuck paying him Jimbo money for 6 years.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

Yes for Hansen, I'd keep Tanev. He's 26 now and in the time horizon of a rebuild will still be under 30. In the interim, our defense without Tanev would be a tire fire on a train racing towards a burning dumpster. The young D will need some veteran support and really, who is better than Tanev to exemplify positional play?

Unfortunately, I have a feelingi Hansen won't waive his NTC and the team's recent dead cat bounce will undoubtedly lead Dim Jim to believe we are a playoff team until just before the deadline. It's Hamhuis all over again.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If Eriksson was exposed (which he won't be), he would never, ever in a hundred million years be selected. That contract is one of the worst in the NHL and he has negative value as an asset.

Why does everyone seem to the think that the players we'd want to get rid of are the players they'd want to select?

Hopes and dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad