GDT: The Canucks and the Expansion Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Tommy Lee Jones logic....Jim Benning is doing a great job because there's at least one GM dumber than him in the league.

the gm who apparently wouldnt trade us vatanen.

so hes dumb when it suits defending bieksa

and a fox in the kesler one team ntc debacle.

ok

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
kevin bieksa was signed to a nmc.

all criticism of jim benning is invalid

I think I'll try this on my wife.

I heard about someone in California making a stupid mistake.

Accordingly, any criticism of me for my multitude of stupid mistakes is invalid. it doesn't matter what I do, how terrible or stupid-someone else made a stupid mistake!

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I think I'll try this on my wife.

I heard about someone in California making a stupid mistake.

Accordingly, any criticism of me for my multitude of stupid mistakes is invalid. it doesn't matter what I do, how terrible or stupid-someone else made a stupid mistake!

but tim murray drafts players like vatanen and theodore and lindholm.

how did he sign bieksa to nmc.

obviously hes not dumb?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
you have to give credit, where credit is due, Canucks are probably in the most favourable position in terms of expansion draft.

That means we suck, precisely.

Credit to Benning for making us a ****** team right before the expansion draft! Man, this was his master plan all along!

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Well we did have the worst goal differential, so there is always that to fall back on.
You have a point there but I think we have to point the blame at Miller & Markstrom as well as Benning. Neither player has scored a goal since Benning acquired them. Obvious busts as my understanding of the HF rules is that a player is judged by how many goals he scores. ;):sarcasm:

Neither player has been willing to crash the opponent's net or even cross the center line. We need goal scorers, not pylons like Miller or Markstrom. :yo::rant::naughty:

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I understand Jimbo wont let Goober be taken cause he just traded for him but man o man he has to be exposed before Sbisa and everyone will see why this coming year

I can't believe I'll ever lean toward this poster's sentiments... but looks like he called it.. Sbisa playing better than Gudbranson this year. Hahaha! (Although we still got games left + Guddy has been injured... hahaha)

Anyhow, I'm wondering what's everyone's sentiments on who to protect this off-season especially taking into consideration the better play of Baertschi.. and maybe even Granlund of late?

I still want the Canucks to keep Hansen... 30 yrs old or what not.. I think guys take better care of themselves nowadays and I always cringe abit whenever the mainstream media refers to any athlete, "Oh he's on the wrong side of his career" blah blah...

Would anyone be opposed to leaving Eriksson or one of the Sedins unprotected? Although I could totally see why we shouldn't do that because VGK could hold us ransom to trade Loui or a Sedin back to us.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I can't believe I'll ever lean toward this poster's sentiments... but looks like he called it.. Sbisa playing better than Gudbranson this year. Hahaha! (Although we still got games left + Guddy has been injured... hahaha)

Anyhow, I'm wondering what's everyone's sentiments on who to protect this off-season especially taking into consideration the better play of Baertschi.. and maybe even Granlund of late?

I still want the Canucks to keep Hansen... 30 yrs old or what not.. I think guys take better care of themselves nowadays and I always cringe abit whenever the mainstream media refers to any athlete, "Oh he's on the wrong side of his career" blah blah...

Would anyone be opposed to leaving Eriksson or one of the Sedins unprotected? Although I could totally see why we shouldn't do that because VGK could hold us ransom to trade Loui or a Sedin back to us.

Sedins and Eriksson must be protected due to NMCs. I want to protect Hansen too, hes the only RH RW who can play on any line and has chemistry with the twins

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I would love to lose Eriksson to the expansion draft. Sutter too. Doubt Benning is smart enough to try to get out from one of these mistake contracts though.

You know things are bad when the idea of losing Sbisa in the expansion draft is nice, but there are worse contracts on the team you'd prefer to get rid of first.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Besides Horvat and Tanev, I really don't care for what happens to anyone else.

Ideally deal Hansen at the TDL.

Can keep Edler and protect or trade at the draft.

Marky is ok but fine either way.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Could we also assume that VGK, a team managed by George McPhee, won't select "softer" guys like Sven Baertschi, right?

And a NHL team can only lose ONE player, right?... I could see us losing Pedan and that'll be the only cost... correct me if I'm wrong.

Roberto Lu bongo

Apr 14, 2016
Could we also assume that VGK, a team managed by George McPhee, won't select "softer" guys like Sven Baertschi, right?

And a NHL team can only lose ONE player, right?... I could see us losing Pedan and that'll be the only cost... correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would they ever take Pedan?

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Why would they ever take Pedan?

"Grit" and "Toughness".. "meats & bones" ?

Why was Greg Anthony selected by the Grizzlies? And why did we mortgage the future to get Otis Thorpe? I don't know man.. just guessing really.

via NHL.com (https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-expansion-draft-rules/c-281010592)

We can protect:

a) Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b) Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender

Protected dman (3):
Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson

4 Protected Fwds (No-Brainers):
Henrik, Daniel, Loui, Horvat,

which leaves 3 more spots:

Protected Fwds (The 3 I prefer):
Hansen: He's kinda indispensable to our team's motto (hardworking and scoring timely goals),
Baertschi (honestly, I think he's a great player... but the consistency is still lacking... I'll protect him over Granlund),
Sutter (he's been not bad.. I guess... he's a 3rd line center on a cup contender.. maybe a 4th line center on a true cup contender.. but getting paid like a 2LC... but due to the lack of options to protect, I'll protect him I guess.. as a show of loyalty for signing with us or what not).

Unprotected:
Granlund (as much as he's played better lately... meh)
Dorsett
Burrows (Burr: you still my boyyyyy!!!)

IFFY about:
Rodin... I actually think he has some potential to do something.. but too bad he hasn't really quite recovered from his injury .. and not much ice time to show.

Wouldn't mind Canucks protecting Rodin (if he shows spurts of quality effectiveness down the stretch) over Sutter or Baerstchi (if Benning thinks McPhee won't pick Bae up).

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Good thing about having a crap team is that there's no losing sleep over the expansion draft.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Will definitely be interesting to see who gets protected..
Or if there are any surprises from the following prediction list:

Protected F
Sedin, Sedin, Erkisson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter plus one of Hansen or Granlund
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Dorsett, Rodin, Gaunce, Burrows, etc)

Proteced D
Edler, Tanev, plus one of Gudbranson or Sbisa
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Biega, Pedan, Larsen, Subban, etc)

Would not be surprised to see Benning try to strike a minor deal for them to take a prospect since we're in a position to where our 4th dman and 8th forward are useful pieces at the moment.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Will definitely be interesting to see who gets protected..
Or if there are any surprises from the following prediction list:

Protected F
Sedin, Sedin, Erkisson, Horvat, Baertschi, Sutter plus one of Hansen or Granlund
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Dorsett, Rodin, Gaunce, Burrows, etc)

Proteced D
Edler, Tanev, plus one of Gudbranson or Sbisa
(Potential targets: One of the above plus Biega, Pedan, Larsen, Subban, etc)

Would not be surprised to see Benning try to strike a minor deal for them to take a prospect since we're in a position to where our 4th dman and 8th forward are useful pieces at the moment.

LOL paying Vegas to take one of those non protected players, while we're protecting garbage like Sutter, Gudbranson, or Sbisa, would be yet another terrible decision.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Is it mandatory as part of the expansion rules to protect players with NTC or limited NTC (i.e. Sedins)?

P.S. Apologies in advance. Too lazy to check the rules.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Is it mandatory as part of the expansion rules to protect players with NTC or limited NTC (i.e. Sedins)?

P.S. Apologies in advance. Too lazy to check the rules.

Nust protect NMCs which are different than NTCs... unless said player agrees to waive it

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Nust protect NMCs which are different than NTCs... unless said player agrees to waive it

Thanks and noted.. so Sedins and Eriksson have to be protected by the rules.

But yeah as some posters have wrote already, not many headaches abound in the coming months. Could care less if Granlund / Baertschi get picked up in all honesty.

Just hope Benning keeps Hansen... please don't let Hansen go. PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad