The Canadiens should attempt to sign Alexander Radulov

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sekac isn't half the player that Radulov is......

Its a little different when you are talking third line talent vs a game breaking first liner.

To me I don't see the comparison between a guy who is a rookie, and is still having trouble cracking the lineup in Anaheim, and Radulov who is going to come in as a guy who already has a 60 point NHL season under his belt, is the second leading scorer in KHL history, and just won the KHL scoring title with 71 points vs Sekac who had 28 points in his last KHL season.

You're going to have to come up with a better example than "Sekac and Therrien didn't get a long".... because I'm not buying that comparison.

The closest is the Vanek comparison... and Vanek did very well here in the regular season before becoming a disaster in the playoffs, but I'm not even sure that is Therrien seeing how Vanek didn't do any better with Minnesota.

Therrien gave Vanek every opportunity to succeed. Its not his fault Vanek didn't seize that opportunity.

We criticize Therrien's lack of offence all the time... but look at what the article points out... all of those final 4 teams have 3-4 players who would play on our first line. We have one player with the talent to join the first line of one of those teams (Max Pacioretty). People want Therrien to play this run and gun style and criticize him when we don't.. but the reality is we have an excellent goalie, a pretty darn good defence... and a Pop-gun offense with one game breaker. Its no wonder he wants a defensive system and not to play run and gun.

Give him some better pieces (like a Radulov) before saying he doesn't know how to use them, and sorry, Sekac wasn't one of those elite offensive pieces.
First of all, he put Vanek on a checking line and he struggled. The guy came out in the papers and actually talked about how he'd have to prove himself worthy of first line minutes and work his way up to offensive ice. You're talking like it was smooth sailing... it wasn't.

Forward to about the 26:50 mark

“We try to be fancy, we try to be cute... we try to be the team that we’re not...”
North South quick! You don’t try to slow down the game we want to go there as quick as we can. Chip and chase!”
“We are a grinding team. Accept it! Because if we don’t we don’t have success. Accept it. Do it!”

You think this guy is a match for a player like Radulov? One look at that clip and no skilled guy would ever want to come here. EVERYONE is supposed to play exactly the same way. And when you don't or if you question him (see Lars Eller) you get sent to Siberia. Radulov would be relegated to third line duty just like Sekac was, just like Briere was, just like Eller was, just like PAP was... How's Alex Galchenyuk doing these days?

He likes North South players and Radulov wouldn't work with Therrien. It would be a disaster and then we'd read from some people about how Therrien doesn't have any talent to work with...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Vanek was put on the first line with Max and given huge offensive zone starts from the day he was traded to the Habs until game 2 of the series against Boston.

Even when he was moved down at ES, he continued to get PP time til very late in the series vs the Rangers.

Lets not forget that.

As for others you've mentionned

Briere- was struggling enough in Philly to be bought out.. has struggled in Colorado post trade. I wouldn't call him someone who Therrien wasted the talent... the talent was past its best before date by the time he got to montreal.

Parenteau - struggling in Colorado and run out of town there.

Eller and Galchenyuk were sent to Siberia? Oh you mean a coach benched a young player once? Something every coach in the NHL does. I don't know if you noticed but guys like Jonathan Drouin have been a healthy scratch in Tampa.. .it happens... and Galchenyuk may not be on your schedule, but I don't think he's done badly for a 21 year old who missed an entire season of development in Junior.

None of these guys are at the level Radulov is at right now. None of them.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Ah. And its the case with Raddy?

There is often not a lot of information on KHL contracts.... we don't know for sure.

It is rumored he's talked to at least one NHL front office guy (Patrick Roy) about a possible return.

If he only wants to play for Roy... then fine... it is what it is, but Bergevin should at least pick up the phone and see whats up (And he may have done so).

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
IF Radulov comes back to the NHL, it will almost surely be with Colorado. His bond with Roy and Roy not willing to be outbid will ensure it.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I hope we tried to sign Panarin (hawks did) . That guy would of been a good addition

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Vanek was put on the first line with Max and given huge offensive zone starts from the day he was traded to the Habs until game 2 of the series against Boston.
Yeah... no.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=709026

"The bulk of the offensive-zone shifts on the Canadiens go to the line of Max Pacioretty, David Desharnais and Brendan Gallagher, and Vanek said he sees his role as a challenge to convince Therrien that his line deserves to get some more of those faceoffs in the opposing end of the ice.

"The games I've watched, even when I wasn't here, I think David's line with [Pacioretty] and [Gallagher] has been a force, so if the line is clicking, that's the line you want to go with," Vanek said. "So it's our line's job to make sure we push them and challenge for that."

Vanek in Montreal was a mixed bag to say the least. He had some good times and some bad. But right from the get go Therrien actually used him in more of a defensive role. It was questioned everywhere in the media at the time and people were wondering wtf Therrien was doing.
Even when he was moved down at ES, he continued to get PP time til very late in the series vs the Rangers.

Lets not forget that.

As for others you've mentionned

Briere- was struggling enough in Philly to be bought out.. has struggled in Colorado post trade. I wouldn't call him someone who Therrien wasted the talent... the talent was past its best before date by the time he got to montreal.

Parenteau - struggling in Colorado and run out of town there.
I don't dispute that they weren't great signings. But again, its a horrible fit with this coach.

Eller and Galchenyuk were sent to Siberia? Oh you mean a coach benched a young player once? Something every coach in the NHL does. I don't know if you noticed but guys like Jonathan Drouin have been a healthy scratch in Tampa.. .it happens... and Galchenyuk may not be on your schedule, but I don't think he's done badly for a 21 year old who missed an entire season of development in Junior.
Eller and Sekac were basically banished to Siberia yes. Galchenyuk just got screwed over by DD after playing well in the role...
None of these guys are at the level Radulov is at right now. None of them.
Did you watch the clip I just showed you? Seriously man, watch the clip. "Don't be fancy... don't try to slow down the game... chip and chase etc..." That goes against Radulov's whole way of playing.

Ordinarily I'd say adding Radulov would be great but I just don't see it working with this coach.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Coaches adapt to thw players they have. The way he coaches a 28 pt khl guy and the way he coaches a guy who won the scoring title with 71 points wont be the same.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Coaches adapt to thw players they have. The way he coaches a 28 pt khl guy and the way he coaches a guy who won the scoring title with 71 points wont be the same.
Unless Therrien changes his system altogether I don't see him adapting for any player. This is a coach who had the cup winning champs 30th in shots when he was fired. What kind of skilled player would come here when there are other options?

It's not that I think we couldn't use Radulov's skills it's just that I don't think he'd do well under MT and I don't see him coming here to begin with.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Yeah forget about that. Michel Therrien is a system coach. He forces every player he has into his system, not the other way around.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Unless Therrien changes his system altogether I don't see him adapting for any player. This is a coach who had the cup winning champs 30th in shots when he was fired. What kind of skilled player would come here when there are other options?

It's not that I think we couldn't use Radulov's skills it's just that I don't think he'd do well under MT and I don't see him coming here to begin with.

Petry stayed, it's not out of the question. MT won't be here forever. All that assuming Rady actually leaves the KHL this year

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Like others I Don't believe that Radulov would be interested in coming to Montreal with the system we currently employ. It's too bad, he'd be an immediate first line RW solution.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Radulov is a mess outside the rink. Only Patrick Roy could 'somewhat' control him in the past but it was only on the ice.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Like others I Don't believe that Radulov would be interested in coming to Montreal with the system we currently employ. It's too bad, he'd be an immediate first line RW solution.

i think that he can be sold on becoming the top line guy. He knows that a top line guy in Qc is made into a star, gets endorsements, etc. he seems a bit like the primadonna type in that regard....so....maybe?

habsturies

May 27, 2012
Baja California Sur
i follow KHL closely and I pass on Radulov.
Is a freakin prima-donna.Totally uncoachable.Tons of talent,no doubt,
no way he can fit in th habs dressing-room.

But...I put my finger on Mozyakhin.Yes,the guy is old,36 i guess,but
man,is a f...ing scoring machine,specially in the PP.Excellent teammate,and never play in th NHL,so maybe he would like to try.

Could be a Kovalev-like signing.

Main problem : he plays for Magnitka,a rich team.So no cheap deal
could land him on a habs jersey.

ps.Rodrigo Abols.My favourite draft-elegible from KHL.If we can pick him in the 4th-5th round,I'll be extatic.6.3" grit,scoring touch,and a Gallagher-hearth competing style.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's simple. Radulov has no desire to go to NA again after his last stint and how he was treated. And after reading the posts here I think he's right. Why would he want to deal with that ridiculous amount of bullcrap being told about him?

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
Ask Quebec.

also, give a list of ELITE FA's over the years.

Way to cherry pick my post. You can look at the signings on every FA period for years, it's readily availble online.

The Habs are known to offer more bucks to FAs due to the `Quebec`factor, and were consistently turned down. Taxes are just one negative factor to signing free agents in Montreal.

I'm not saying that Sekac deserved 1st line minutes with the Habs, but to completely disregard how he was utilised, as a possible negative factor for future European signings, is naive.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Petry stayed, it's not out of the question. MT won't be here forever. All that assuming Rady actually leaves the KHL this year
I realize that and I'm not saying it could never happen. I just don't think MT helps the situation.

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I'd take Radulov any day if he's willing to come. He could slot in on our 1st line without a problem.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Radulov is a mess outside the rink. Only Patrick Roy could 'somewhat' control him in the past but it was only on the ice.

Therrien could teach him rispek and how to be a better person:laugh:

I agree that he may have a bad attitude but Montreal needs to find the back of the net somehow. He would certainly make the habs top 6 much better.

I really think that the habs current group is so tight that radulov's shenanigans would not faze them and that he may also have grown up a little in the past few years.

If he wants to sign with the habs, sign him ASAP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad