The Bruins reluctance to try Spooner at wing has been moronic at best...

bruins seguin 19*

spooner for calder

i think trading seguin was the best outcome for spooner he is in the fire now to perform . he will perform no doubt book a potential calder breakout year this year i sense it.

trudatman*

I know it's early, but I'm done looking at him as a center. I'm big on Spooner, but even with Krejci and Campbell out I'm sick of seeing him in the middle offering a silly role of dazzle that is easy to contain with his burst-burst-burst-burst-pass predictability. keeping the same roster, here's what I'm seeking:

MAR/BER/SMI
LUC/SOD/ERI
FRA/KEL/PAI
SPO/CUN/CAR(ROB)
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

can't stand Spooner's start nor Robins holding that spot away from so many better players, so I'd even prefer seeing Caron, which is then in part accepting the inevitable in a Zen way to relate to the disgusting situation. I think that would be fine until Krejci is back and that this time should be spent auditioning full lines for callup because the forth line is pathetic and I don't think any of us are ready for three-line Bruins action with the benchriders coming in for an average four minutes per game.

I still want Spooner in the lineup when Krejci is back, playing on a line like SPO/KEL/GRI or SPO/CAM/KEL or even SPO/KEL/CAR, but he is not fitting his current role. if he plays every game for a few weeks and only ends up with one goal, I think he'd need ten assists to keep his roster spot. he needs to incorporate a scoring threat into his game quickly. he can't continue to look like last season's Spooner.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Fraser isn't an NHL player. He shouldn't be anywhere near this roster. Definitely a solid call-up from time to time, but as a full timer, no thanks.

trudatman*

MAR/BER/SMI
LUC/SOD/ERI
SPO/KEL/GRI(FER)
PAI/CUN/CAR
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU(BAR)/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

better? that would bump the centers down and Cunningham out when Krejci comes back and Caron out when Campbell comes back to have:

LUC/KRE/SMI
MAR/BER/GRI(FER)
PAI/SOD/ERI
SPO/CAM/KEL
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU(BAR)/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

I could see Kelly or Gagne on the second line right. Smith going to the first line seems key when Krejci comes back. Cunningham is surprisingly acceptable in Campbell's stead, but, again, Spooner is not the center we are looking for yet, it seems.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
MAR/BER/SMI
LUC/SOD/ERI
SPO/KEL/GRI(FER)
PAI/CUN/CAR
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU(BAR)/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

better? that would bump the centers down and Cunningham out when Krejci comes back and Caron out when Campbell comes back to have:

LUC/KRE/SMI
MAR/BER/GRI(FER)
PAI/SOD/ERI
SPO/CAM/KEL
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU(BAR)/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

I could see Kelly or Gagne on the second line right. Smith going to the first line seems key when Krejci comes back. Cunningham is surprisingly acceptable in Campbell's stead, but, again, Spooner is not the center we are looking for yet, it seems.

Spooner will never be the center Boston is looking for. They found Krejci, Bergeron and Soderberg for the next half-decade.

Fine, give him a shot on the wing when Krejci gets back, but so far I haven't seen anything beyond what feels to me like an AHL talent trying his moves and failing at the NHL level.

Hopefully he can figure it out sooner than later and develop new tactics or attempts to beat NHL defensemen and score a goal in the NHL.

It takes many people awhile to finally find out what it takes and right now he has to make that next step if he wants to stay in Boston when Krejci comes back.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Spooner will never be the center Boston is looking for. They found Krejci, Bergeron and Soderberg for the next half-decade.

Fine, give him a shot on the wing when Krejci gets back, but so far I haven't seen anything beyond what feels to me like an AHL talent trying his moves and failing at the NHL level.

Hopefully he can figure it out sooner than later and develop new tactics or attempts to beat NHL defensemen and score a goal in the NHL.

It takes many people awhile to finally find out what it takes and right now he has to make that next step if he wants to stay in Boston when Krejci comes back.

Dude its been two games, so I'd say you've got a bone to pick

Last year he was pretty good for the limited opportunities he got.

His moves aren't failing either. Just because he hasn't scored doesn't mean he has played poorly. He was more noticeable against the Flyers but he had a good near-breakaway chance himself in that game and then he set up Lucic with a nice pass but Lucic couldn't get a shot off.

He's looked like a more dangerous player out there than Lucic has so far

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I know it's early, but I'm done looking at him as a center. I'm big on Spooner, but even with Krejci and Campbell out I'm sick of seeing him in the middle offering a silly role of dazzle that is easy to contain with his burst-burst-burst-burst-pass predictability. keeping the same roster, here's what I'm seeking:

MAR/BER/SMI
LUC/SOD/ERI
FRA/KEL/PAI
SPO/CUN/CAR(ROB)
CHA/HAM
SEI/MIL
KRU/MCQ
RAS(SVE)

can't stand Spooner's start nor Robins holding that spot away from so many better players, so I'd even prefer seeing Caron, which is then in part accepting the inevitable in a Zen way to relate to the disgusting situation. I think that would be fine until Krejci is back and that this time should be spent auditioning full lines for callup because the forth line is pathetic and I don't think any of us are ready for three-line Bruins action with the benchriders coming in for an average four minutes per game.

I still want Spooner in the lineup when Krejci is back, playing on a line like SPO/KEL/GRI or SPO/CAM/KEL or even SPO/KEL/CAR, but he is not fitting his current role. if he plays every game for a few weeks and only ends up with one goal, I think he'd need ten assists to keep his roster spot. he needs to incorporate a scoring threat into his game quickly. he can't continue to look like last season's Spooner.

Agreed

0 shots in any game for a centerman of his calibre just isn`t acceptable IMO if he wants to impress the coaches enough to stick around

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Dude its been two games, so I'd say you've got a bone to pick

Last year he was pretty good for the limited opportunities he got.

His moves aren't failing either. Just because he hasn't scored doesn't mean he has played poorly. He was more noticeable against the Flyers but he had a good near-breakaway chance himself in that game and then he set up Lucic with a nice pass but Lucic couldn't get a shot off.

He's looked like a more dangerous player out there than Lucic has so far

It took Krejci over 40 games to score his first goal, I'm being patient with spooner

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Fraser isn't an NHL player. He shouldn't be anywhere near this roster. Definitely a solid call-up from time to time, but as a full timer, no thanks.
I feel the same way about Fraser, maybe he has a great shot in warm up for whatever that's worth. I'd rather see Caron go up and down the wing over Fraser.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He's playing better than Looch. Kid is trying and I hope it continues.

Was listening to toucher and rich and they made a point to say this is a big year for lucic, the bruins don't want to go into next season unsure of what to do with him

I'd agree, he has a chance at redemption the playoffs and I do hope he seizes it....

If Spooner gets sent down/sits I hope it's at the result of getting a first line RW and returning players, not to put someone like Caron in. We really need players like spooner for their speed...he's improving.

Growing pains for the team now so they are successful in the spring.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
He's playing better than Looch. Kid is trying and I hope it continues.

Maybe it's only me but Spooner created more offsides than scoring chances 5 on 5. The only moment I saw him do nice things offensively was on that 4 on 3 yesterday. That line as a whole ain't working. And I doubt it will. Put Lucic with the Yeti and Kelly between the two rookies.

Lucic-Yeti-Loui
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Spooner-Kelly-Fraser

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Spooner has been bad first 2 games. Hes no worse than our forward prospects or Gagne but he isn't good enough to force his way onto the team despite his competition being poor and its not a good sign.

Give him up in any trade for anyone who is ready right now IMO.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Maybe it's only me but Spooner created more offsides than scoring chances 5 on 5. The only moment I saw him do nice things offensively was on that 4 on 3 yesterday. That line as a whole ain't working. And I doubt it will. Put Lucic with the Yeti and Kelly between the two rookies.

Lucic-Yeti-Loui
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Spooner-Kelly-Fraser
He's got to work on his on ice awareness but as annoying as it is, he's showing more effort than Looch at certain times during the game.

I prefer they stick with that line for tomorrow's game and then Krech should be back and then you can start moving some guys around.

I want to see how engaged Looch is tomorrow against a physical team and I want to see how Spooner does as well.

My hope is that Looch protects him like he does for Krejci.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Lucic-Yeti-Loui
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Spooner-Kelly-Fraser

Not a bad idea. Spooner is never going to crack the lineup as a center, so why have him and his terrible faceoff percentage, half-effort defense at center while Krejci is out? Put him on the wing (which is where he's going to play eventually) and see how he takes to it.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Not a bad idea. Spooner is never going to crack the lineup as a center, so why have him and his terrible faceoff percentage, half-effort defense at center while Krejci is out? Put him on the wing (which is where he's going to play eventually) and see how he takes to it.

A Lucic-Yeti-Loui line would dominate the boards and have plenty of OZ time.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Spooner has been bad first 2 games. Hes no worse than our forward prospects or Gagne but he isn't good enough to force his way onto the team despite his competition being poor and its not a good sign.

Give him up in any trade for anyone who is ready right now IMO.

LOL, Lucic has sucked the first 2 games as well, might as well trade him. And Dougie too, while we are at it. :shakehead

Spooner hasn't been fantastic, but he's shown some nice bright spots. And defensively I haven't really seen an issue with him yet. The offense will come. He should be shooting a bit more, especially on that 4 on 3, but some great vision to make some of those passes he made.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
LOL, Lucic has sucked the first 2 games as well, might as well trade him. And Dougie too, while we are at it. :shakehead

Spooner hasn't been fantastic, but he's shown some nice bright spots. And defensively I haven't really seen an issue with him yet. The offense will come. He should be shooting a bit more, especially on that 4 on 3, but some great vision to make some of those passes he made.

I think you are seeing what you want to see no offense.

A vet with millions in the bank like Lucic sucking the first two games of the season is way different than a prospect who is believed to be good enough yet has been blocked from becoming an NHL regular for one reason or another and is finally getting his chance to prove himself.

Doesn't mean he is awful it just means he is no better than Fraser/Florek/Cunningham and since he carries more trade value than them and could add to our team in a deal I say make it.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Lucic-Yeti-Loui
Marchand-Bergy-Smith
Spooner-Kelly-Fraser

That was my thought as well,try Lucic with Soda.I know it is early but don't think Fraser can hold his own playing with Krejci and Lucic.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Fraser is the guy who needs to be scratched, not Spooner. Spoons was responsible for most of the Bruins chances tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad