The Bruins reluctance to try Spooner at wing has been moronic at best...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Wow Bill,tell us how you really feel. I thought the consensus was he couldn't play wing. How did they reach that consensus? For me,Knight is the real puzzle,what are they not seeing there?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Maybe the B's reluctance has something to do with Spooner's lack of accountability and inconsistent play?

It's time to stop blaming the Bruins with what's happened to Spooner while he's been in the organization.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Wow Bill,tell us how you really feel. I thought the consensus was he couldn't play wing. How did they reach that consensus? For me,Knight is the real puzzle,what are they not seeing there?
question is, what are you seeing with Knight? I see nothing special. 13 forwards in the organization are definitely better than him, thus he stays in Providence. Not sure the puzzle.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
and incompetent at worst.

Discuss...

the second I saw Spooner on the wing I thought of you; hope he plays tonight on the wing- certainly less responsibility on the wing and Ryan has electric skills

Bill, you keep him over Fraser for the left side? Spooner can play both specialty teams as well

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
They tried him there for one game last year and he had a nice assist.

They tried him there last night and he scored two goals and could have had 5! (He missed two open nets Marchand-style and hit the post on a breakaway).

I've been saying for years that with the depth this team had at center (Krejci, Bergeron and at that time I believe Seguin would eventually be moved into the middle), that they should start developing some versatility in Spooner's game. This team accepted Peverley as a winger who was also light and fast and they lauded him for his ability to play both wing and center. Guys like Kessel and Seguin scored 30 as light, fast wingers in this system, and help the team be successful. Why such reluctance?

It's been a long time since Spooner said he was more comfortable in the middle. He's been quoted as saying he's smart enough to play any position. Before camp he said he was open to the idea of playing wing and that he thought it "freed you up offensively" which I agree with. After last night's game he said he's "Absolutely for sure" willing to play more wing. It's not an issue for the kid or a phobia like some here have claimed. He's willing. He's able. He's exactly what this team needs in terms of injecting some speed and skill...

roguepatriot

Jun 24, 2010
Hey - better late than never. Think he has been reluctant to play there himself, but sure fitted in there last night with the line he was on.
But yeh, considering their plethora of centers, and need on the wings, this should have been tried earlier.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Maybe the B's reluctance has something to do with Spooner's lack of accountability and inconsistent play?

It's time to stop blaming the Bruins with what's happened to Spooner while he's been in the organization.

Exactly. Seem like the FO was trying to send him a message. Which Spooner finally looked like he got last night. Lets see if he can do it again. Actually the message was received by both sides.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

When has Spooner played wing inconsistently?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Knight is true RW...Spooner is classic center but me and Bill have discussed Spooner while watching him, and Bill has always told me they need to try him at left wing.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
question is, what are you seeing with Knight? I see nothing special. 13 forwards in the organization are definitely better than him, thus he stays in Providence. Not sure the puzzle.

Projection
Knight projects as a top-six scoring winger who could push for 40 goals in the NHL one day and could be a consistent 30-goal threat from year to year. At his floor, he's a third-liner who will play a solid two-way game. The style comparisons to Ryan Callahan are valid, and the two share some remarkable similarities in terms of size and style, as well as developmental path. Knight also reminds of a young Mark Recchi in that he is not the most explosive skater, but has excellent hands and a knack for generating scoring chances. You don't want to create unrealistic expectations for a player like Knight if he doesn't hit his target ceiling, but at the same time, he was the 32nd overall pick for a reason. The talent, drive and moxie is there and he appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. He's going to have a tough challenge to win an NHL spot in the fall because of his junior situation, but he is physically ready to make a run. Knight might earn a 10-game audition if he can impress enough at training camp and during the exhibition season.
That was 2 years ago. We've been told what Claude doesn't like in Spooner.

He doesn't get the minutes in Providence you would think a bluechip prospect needs to improve and impress.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH

I agree...I have watched him and while he has shown a decent 2-way game, I don't see anything that makes him so important to some.
I always hope for the best with all of our prospects, but sometimes....they just don't pan out.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
the second I saw Spooner on the wing I thought of you; hope he plays tonight on the wing- certainly less responsibility on the wing and Ryan has electric skills

Bill, you keep him over Fraser for the left side? Spooner can play both specialty teams as well

I keep him over Gagne.

And I don't say that as a Gagne hater. I think most here have been hyper-critical of SG's performances. He started off rusty, but I see a guy who's gotten better every game, and I bet that continues. I also see the value in having someone with all that experience and hockey sense around. Unforunately, I also think Fraser has very strong, maybe the best of the bunch trying out, so I don't know where Gagne fits, but I'd like to keep him, just not at the expense of Spooner.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
When has Spooner played wing inconsistently?
I'm talking about his lack of accountability and inconsistency overall.

If he can't play his natural position well, why should the Bruins take a huge risk in moving him to a new one?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Knight is true RW...Spooner is classic center but me and Bill have discussed Spooner while watching him, and Bill has always told me they need to try him at left wing.

I've read that Knight isn't treated like a real legitimate prospect,kind of buried. Spooner on the other hand needed to beef up his 2 way game and realize the opening would be on wing.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

Yeah, I'm usually not so... belligerent. But I've had enough of this ****. How do you know someone can't do something if you don't try it. I feel like I'm talking to one of my kids, sticking their nose up at some new food. "It could be the best thing you've ever tasted! Try it and find out!"

Last edited:

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
Projection
Knight projects as a top-six scoring winger who could push for 40 goals in the NHL one day and could be a consistent 30-goal threat from year to year. At his floor, he's a third-liner who will play a solid two-way game. The style comparisons to Ryan Callahan are valid, and the two share some remarkable similarities in terms of size and style, as well as developmental path. Knight also reminds of a young Mark Recchi in that he is not the most explosive skater, but has excellent hands and a knack for generating scoring chances. You don't want to create unrealistic expectations for a player like Knight if he doesn't hit his target ceiling, but at the same time, he was the 32nd overall pick for a reason. The talent, drive and moxie is there and he appears to be just scratching the surface of his potential. He's going to have a tough challenge to win an NHL spot in the fall because of his junior situation, but he is physically ready to make a run. Knight might earn a 10-game audition if he can impress enough at training camp and during the exhibition season.

He doesn't get the minutes in Providence you would think a bluechip prospect needs to improve and impress.

no offense...but this seems like fantasy to me. The guy has never put up 40. I get that people like him, but calling him a bluechip prospect is just not realistic....to me anyways.
I hope that he progresses into a scoring 3rd liner who can fill in well on the 2nd line when needed. That is as far as I am willing to go in regards to his potential at this point. He may develop further (which I would love) and exceed my expectations....one never knows.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Skill plays anywhere. I've always said this. I think there's an infatuation with heavy/thick wingers within the organization (though it hasn't shown up in their drafting obviously). If you look around the league, effective wingers come in all shapes and sizes with varying skill sets. Spooner should have been getting reps on the wing as early as last training camp.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I'd take him as a 3rd line wing over Gagne any day of the week. Hell, put him with Kelly and Carl for all I care.

He is good enough at his natural position to be playing on 25+ teams in the NHL.. we just happen to have a logjam at the position. But do people really think he's not capable of being an effective top 9 winger for us? I don't.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yeah, I'm usually not so... flagrant. But I've had enough of this ****. How do you know someone can't do something if you don't try it. I feel like I'm talking to one of my kids, sticking their nose up at some new food. "It could be the best thing you've ever tasted! Try it and find out!"

I do agree about giving kids the chance and opportunity to succeed by putting him in the proper situation and allowing at least 20 games. Did he blow that first chance? He faded. I'd try again. Would seem like a perfect fit for Soderberg and Kelly if he adapts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad