The Bruins "Physicality" is Overblown. Let me explain why

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm cool with Leafs starting on the road, because I truly believe with our depth if we steal 1 in Boston, I don't think we lose in Toronto.

I’m more confident with our road matchups his year. Unless Bergeron wants to play 40 min a night, one of Matthews or Tavares is on the ice when Bergeron is not.

That being said, I still hope for whichever of the two to beat Bergeron head on anyway.

Reactions: Menzinger

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Some of you people are honestly infuriating with your defeatist attitude. Especially given it's completely unfounded.

The Bruins BARELY beat us last year, and:

- It took completely lopsided officiating
- Kadri getting suspended 3 games
- Gardiner having one of the worst games ever in the playoffs
- We got almost no production from Matthews/Nylander
- We barely played Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott

And now:

- We've added Tavares & Muzzin
- Rielly has emerged as a Norris calibre defenseman
- Matthews appears to be healthy
- Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott are all second year guys now and have grown quite a bit

But sure ... we have no chance.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Some of you people are honestly infuriating with your defeatist attitude. Especially given it's completely unfounded.

The Bruins BARELY beat us last year, and:

- It took completely lopsided officiating
- Kadri getting suspended 3 games
- Gardiner having one of the worst games ever in the playoffs
- We got almost no production from Matthews/Nylander
- We barely played Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott

And now:

- Kapanen/Johnsson/Dermott are all second year guys now and have grown quite a bit

And if they lose it’ll be because of lopsided officiating again? That excuse is just ridiculous at this point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
There are no inferior opponents in the playoffs because the game changes and many low seeded tens go deep or win the cup. Buffalo lost in the cup final because of a blown call. NJ won the cup. Many lower seeded teams win series every year. Winning is what counts no matter who you play. Putting down former Leaf teams who advanced in the playoffs compared to this team which has won nothing sounds more like jealousy than logic.

The notion, as far as I can tell, is that "physicality/toughness" allows a team to do better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

From what I can see, those Quinn teams actually choked more often than overachieved.

Reactions: stopclickbait

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
17-18 Playoffs, Round 1:

TOR: 216 hits, 102 blocked shots, 66tka, 79gva 50.2fo%
BOS: 221 hits, 95 blocked shots, 38tka, 67gva, 49.8fo%

Big bad bruins threw 5 whole more hits than the softy Leafs.

Definitely the difference in the series.
If those stats are correct, then you're right, toughness is not the issue.

kevynadams42

May 2, 2010
And now:

I would also add that Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson are head over heels better than they were last year.

Reactions: Tmart335

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Key point is that they haven't lost in regulation. Take their points accumulated in OT wins or losses and SO. The Leafs are better then they are. The Bruins have 5 extra points on OT losses, and 2 extra wins in a shootout. The Leafs have no shootouts period this year. All of their games are decided in regulation.

Of the 9 OT games the Bruins have played, 7 have been on the road. Of the 5 shootout they participated in 4 have been on the road. Of the 14 games that went to OT or shootout, 11 have been against non playoff teams.

The Bruins play a trap system, especially on the road. And would rather take chances with their best players in OT 3vs3 or on shootouts when the going gets tough.

This is why their record is better and they sit 1 point ahead of us with one game in hand. This is why they lose sparingly. Doesn't make them a better team.

Thing is though, OT and shootouts are gimmicks that don't exist in the playoffs so the fact that we've done better than they have there is irrelevant. I'm not saying they're better than we are, I do think it's too close to call. And I don't even care who's better, I just want to win the playoff series.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I think with Boston they got Winners, guys who have a very strong desire to Win, they Compete and are relentless on the forecheck, they activate there D keeping the puck in the ozone and wear down teams, I think the leafs will battle but will be a very tough series. there leadership group seems to be top notch as well.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Let’s hope the playoffs are not anything like the regular season.

Regular season doesn't mean much, we beat the Bruins 3-1 last season. I remember in the Quinn days when the Sens always beat us badly in the regular season but never in the playoffs out of 4 chances, we even swept them once.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Bruins 3-1 in reg season this year. The game a couple of months ago in Toronto saw the Bruins play a mediocre game at best and they still beat the Leafs in TO. The lack of toughness has been more apparent this year. I can't remember the Leafs winning a game that was a hard checking match. The past 8 years the Bruins seem to have the refs in their pocket as well. They get away with a lot in the playoffs. I still say Boston in 5.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Regular season doesn't mean much, we beat the Bruins 3-1 last season. I remember in the Quinn days when the Sens always beat us badly in the regular season but never in the playoffs out of 4 chances, we even swept them once.

I hope the style of play is better in the playoffs. The past few months it’s been virtually impossible to watch an entire Leafs game and the rest of the League hasn’t been a lot better.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
One player in the right situation moves the needle huge.

In this case, it's Zdeno Chara playing 30 minutes a night against your top line.

We have nothing that can match that physicality and in the past playoff series we had at least one guy who seemed to quit out there against him.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
There's no point in debating whether the Bruins are tough or not on a message board when Leafs Bruins games follow such a predictable pattern.

To a man, there's a physicality that each Bruin player brings to the game, from Zdeno Chara down to Torey Krug. Everyone's got their orders to finish their checks, which adds a physical toll to the opposition every time they try to make a play, retrieve the puck, are out on the ice.

All the new age fans will make snide jokes about truculence, but playoff hockey really isn't the new age skill game everyone imagines. Do you serious think a bunch of 10 year veterans "trying to feed their families" are going to get danced by all the Leafs skill players without a fight? No, they're going to hook, slash, elbow, hit, face wash, head punch and intimidate to try and gain the edge.

The sooner the Leafs become comfortable playing this kind of game and enjoy giving it will be the day they take a leap in development.
Give me a freaking break… Last year vs Boston the only series that let things like that go to the extreme of the old ways was the Toronto vs Boston series when the games were played in Boston and guess what? The Leafs were called for penalties doing these things while Boston wasn't that lead to the blow out wins in games 1-2 and Kadri losing his head in retaliation to a cheap shot on Marner....

What happen to Boston vs Tampa in the next round where the officials called a hockey game under the rules?

All you guys talk like the Leafs were swept last year. They battled through poor officiating, suspension and down 3-1 in a series to take it to a game 7 where they had the lead going into the 3rd. This with Matthews sucking and the great JVR who single handily was responsible on momentum changes going to Boston.

People talk about Wilson and the capitals but guess what it was there skill guys that made the difference by providing the offense they're capable of.

Boston beat the Leafs last year because there skilled guys were making plays and executing every time on the ice + destroying the Leafs on the PP

It wasn't this myth of not being able to handle dirty hockey that cost them in the end. They're top guys outproduced ours.

Reactions: stopclickbait

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It's amazing how obsessed this board is with a team that managed 5/16 wins instead of 3/16 last year after barely squeaking by.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
When your first line right winger quits in the middle of the series and is crapping his Coopers everytime he sees Chara it doesn't make it less newsworthy or relevant just because you stretched it to the 3rd period in game 7.

Win, lose, 4 games, 7 games, it's an issue worth addressing when you have guys out there scared in the playoffs.

Anyway, if Freddie Andersen outplays Tuuka Rask last year we win. And we'll win this year if Freddie outplays Tukka. And we'll lose if he doesn't. All these other conversations are just sidelines to that central fact. It's all about Rask vs Andersen.

Holtby beat Andersen 2 years ago. Rask outplayed Andersen last year. It's time for Freddie to outplay the other guy in a series.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Speaking of the Bruins, I wondered what folks thought about Marchand said about Marner's next contract? Surprised there isn't more talk about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad