The Bruins "Physicality" is Overblown. Let me explain why

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Tyler Bozak was the Leafs 2nd best centre for like 1/2 the series last year.....

The Leafs have gotten exponentially better and the Bruins adding a decent depth guy like Coyle doesn’t change that

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
yeah, amazing how the super-grittastic bruins folded like a cheap tent against tampa.
Why are you surprised? Tampa is big, tough and fast on back end. Hedman 6ft6, Coburn 6ft5, Sergachev6ft4, Cernal 6ft4, McDonagh 6ft2 . No one is fore checking them. And they all play a mean game. Boston tried and failed. It worked against Leafs but not a chance it works against Tampa.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs have a much better chance against Tampa because Tampa's forwards like to run and gun. We can go with them and then it comes down to the better goaltender each game. Total speed game both ways.

Boston does not play a speed game. They fore check you, win pucks and then cycle for offense. On back end they trap neutral zone with a centre and 2 defenders and defend the blue line hard. They don't back up like Leafs defenders system. So smaller Leaf forwards have to fight hard to get through neutral zone.

Against Tampa Boston's 2 wingers could not get pucks so they were forced to bring their centre down for support and their slow defense was vulnerable to Tampa's speed on 3 on 2s and the whole thing crumbled down.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kadri will take care of Marchand this year. It will be his lines role to control that line. Form a line of Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen for playoffs. They have the size and tools to shut down the Bergeron line. And Kadri will shut Marchands mouth. Put our dirtiest player against theirs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would not be so sure about that match-up. Marchand although I hate him can throw pretty well. He is not throwing girl shots. Kadri would go with him I know but I think it would be a pretty quick knock out loss for us. Not a good match-up. I'd rather Marchment go toe to toe but Marchand would not accept.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would not be so sure about that match-up. Marchand although I hate him can throw pretty well. He is not throwing girl shots. Kadri would go with him I know but I think it would be a pretty quick knock out loss for us. Not a good match-up. I'd rather Marchment go toe to toe but Marchand would not accept.

I'd rather Matthews do it. If he were to beat the crap out of that little rat, that would set the tone for the whole series and we'd win easily. One can dream. :)

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
The notion, as far as I can tell, is that "physicality/toughness" allows a team to do better in the playoffs than they did in the regular season.

From what I can see, those Quinn teams actually choked more often than overachieved.
Did you watch them play in those series?

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Marner getting his family jewels tapped by Ullmark is a good example of how the Leafs still have a ton of boyish characteristics that need to mature before mounting a serious playoff threat. A young star player should not take that kind of garbage from a backup goalie on a bottom feeder. Someone should have knocked on Ullmark's door for that. Take your pick: run him on the next play, high cross check, high traffic pile up and scrum. There's got to be some solidarity here on the team. Don't try anything. The lack of consequences just means the opposition will not hesitate to take away your time and space legally or illegally in a seven game playoff series.
If that had of been David Pastrnack the outcome would have been very different.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
They don't need to be "physical" to beat the Bruins. They just need to play better.

Bruins are an elite 5v5 defensive team. It's gonna be a tall task.
They are the best defensive 5v5 team in the league, we are the best offensive 5v5. Their powerplay is stellar.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Kadri will take care of Marchand this year. It will be his lines role to control that line. Form a line of Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen for playoffs. They have the size and tools to shut down the Bergeron line. And Kadri will shut Marchands mouth. Put our dirtiest player against theirs.

They made a fool out of Kadri last year and he ended up with a 3 game suspension.
Marchand’s tweet this morning probably got under the skin of a couple Leafs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Boston is going to try to repeat what they did in game 1 last year. We must be prepared better this year? When they start to run Rielly and Gards we better have a game plan. The refs will be same as last year. No penalties. So we can't rely on the zebras. And Freddy needs to be a wall in game 1.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Toronto has scored the most goals in the league at 5vs5. If the refs don't want to call penalties great. Just don't call them for each side.

I think Pasta had like 9 pts after the first 4 games last year. Don't let him or the first line do that again and we'll be fine. Force the Bruins other three lines to beat you

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
If anyone is still under the impression the Bruins physicality is overblown I would watch the game against Carolina on right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Give me a freaking break… Last year vs Boston the only series that let things like that go to the extreme of the old ways was the Toronto vs Boston series when the games were played in Boston and guess what? The Leafs were called for penalties doing these things while Boston wasn't that lead to the blow out wins in games 1-2 and Kadri losing his head in retaliation to a cheap shot on Marner....

What happen to Boston vs Tampa in the next round where the officials called a hockey game under the rules?

All you guys talk like the Leafs were swept last year. They battled through poor officiating, suspension and down 3-1 in a series to take it to a game 7 where they had the lead going into the 3rd. This with Matthews sucking and the great JVR who single handily was responsible on momentum changes going to Boston.

People talk about Wilson and the capitals but guess what it was there skill guys that made the difference by providing the offense they're capable of.

Boston beat the Leafs last year because there skilled guys were making plays and executing every time on the ice + destroying the Leafs on the PP

It wasn't this myth of not being able to handle dirty hockey that cost them in the end. They're top guys outproduced ours.

Re: Tampa Bay, this is a good example of a skill guy who was tough enough to execute a skill play by splitting the D between Chara and McAvoy. This is Brayden Point, who is smaller than Mitch Marner. This is the kind of toughness that would be a bare minimum requirement for a skill player in a seven game series. Don't be afraid to go to high danger areas, be willing to make the play under physical duress.

We didn't have enough of this and that's why we lost to Boston. Not sure why we are trying to deny the existence of a flaw when we can go out and improve on it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
erm, your memory is failing you if you think stumpy brought toughness.

stumpy was a scrappy little midget, but don't oversell it.

You can't just make things up, mischaracterize things and hope to get away with it. If you're 5'10" and you're going to fight Chris Simon, you're "tough." Thomas would be the toughest guy on our current team. Don't need a Zeke stamp of approval on this one:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why are you surprised? Tampa is big, tough and fast on back end. Hedman 6ft6, Coburn 6ft5, Sergachev6ft4, Cernal 6ft4, McDonagh 6ft2 . No one is fore checking them. And they all play a mean game. Boston tried and failed. It worked against Leafs but not a chance it works against Tampa.

Yep. Tampa's a pretty well balanced team with more than enough size to back up their elite skill, but it's easy to miss that when you don't watch them play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->