The Bruins "Physicality" is Overblown. Let me explain why

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Unless something drastic happens...the Leafs are most likely going to be going up against the Bruins yet again in the 1st rd of the playoffs.

Obviously, a hot topic/debate has been whether or not the Leafs have enough physicality to match the Bruins. But I for one don't understand the notion. First of all...let me say that I definitely do think the Leafs could have toughened up a bit in the trade deadline. But, I'm not arguing whether or not we're actually tougher...but what I'm trying to argue is that Boston really isn't as "Tough as they make it seem to be".

This Bruins team isn't the bruins of the past. This isn't a team that still has Milan Lucic, Nathan Horton, Shawn Thornton, Johnny Boychuk, Dennis Seidenberg, Adam Mcquaid, Andrew Ference, Gregory Campbell, etc...

Lets go down the Rosters. I'm going to name Players from both teams that are Physical/Gritty

Bruins:

Brad Marchand (Not intimidating at all but gritty none the less)
Charlie Coyle
David Backes
Chris Wagner
Sean Kuraly
Noel Acciari

Zdeno Chara
Charlie McAvoy
Brandon Carlo
Kevan Millar

Leafs:

Zach Hyman
Nazem Kadri
Kasperi Kapanen
Andreas Johnsson
Fredrick Gauthier
Trevor Moore

Jake Muzzin
Nikita Zaitsev
Travis Dermott
*Oziganov depending on injuries. Other than that, no.

As you can see, Bruins have maybe have 1 or possibly 2 more players who play a gritty style. But thats it. Heck I didnt even include a guy like Tyler Ennis who plays a real edgy game even though he's small. Or even Patrick Marleau who can throw the body when he wants too as well.

I think the sole reason for the perception being that the Bruins are so much more "tougher" than us is because of 1 player and 1 player only.....Zdeno Chara. I mean yeah look at the size of this guy. Ofcourse he can ragdoll anyone in this league, even though his fighting skills are trash AF lol.

Other than, I really dont think there's a huge difference between the two teams. Leafs are just gonna have to have a "pack" mentality where they play physical as a team and the players who can play physical ACTUALLY play physical

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The Bruins finish their checks.

The Leafs do flybys.

Anybody who gets rough with any Bruin in a manner the Bruins deem inappropriate gets swarmed.

Anybody who touches any Leaf gets ignored.

Chara and Backes are the Bruins enforcers.

The "power play" is the Leafs enforcer.

Any questions?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
bruins' comeback in the final period of the series had nothing to do with toughness.

Fair point. But physicality matters throughout a 7 game series when players might get worn down for taking hits after hits.

I saw a lot more Bruins players, aggresively pursuing the puck and getting in on the forecheck with heavy hits to separate our D-Man from the puck. Which caused puck possession and eventually led to goals.

When that starts to happen, our players need to respond back and not be afraid to play stronger along the boards and knock people down, instead of going for soft poke checks

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
The Bruins finish their checks.

The Leafs do flybys.

Anybody who gets rough with any Bruin in a manner the Bruins deem inappropriate gets swarmed.

Anybody who touches any Leaf gets ignored.

Chara and Backes are the Bruins enforcers.

The "power play" is the Leafs enforcer.

Any questions?

THe Leafs tend to finish their checks when the playoffs start. If we're looking at hit totals from last seasons's playoff series...it was almsot even.

Also, Backes isnt an enforcer. This dude is one punch to the face away from being concussed for life. But yes, he plays a really physical game but his fighting skills are wack.

Kadri could handle Backes easily

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The Bruins finish their checks and we just swipe our sticks at them and skate past them. The Bruins hit hard and we don't. Most of our hits are just standing in front of them and they run into us or a little love tap along the boards. So no, I don't think the Bruins Physicality is overblown compared to ours at all and you can see that by seeing the hit totals for both teams. Bostons depth punishes defenders with their physicality so their skilled players can play a skilled game against defenders that get worn out from their depth guys after being hit so many times. We have a different approach by having much more depth scoring and we're hoping that works out for us. I like the Bruins way because I think people on this forum don't get how finishing checks and punishing defenders like that can affect them and really fatigue them, especially over a playoff series. I still think we can win and hope we do so everyone shuts up about them being our kryptonite.

Last edited:

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
THe Leafs tend to finish their checks when the playoffs start. If we're looking at hit totals from last seasons's playoff series...it was almsot even.

Also, Backes isnt an enforcer. This dude is one punch to the face away from being concussed for life. But yes, he plays a really physical game but his fighting skills are wack.

Kadri could handle Backes easily
Yet Backes still does what he does. Kadri turned into a bit of a softy this year. Personally, I want the old Kadri back.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yet Backes still does what he does. Kadri turned into a bit of a softy this year. Personally, I want the old Kadri back.

We'll get the old NAz back in the playoffs (as long as he doesnt get suspended again). We've seen instances from him this season where its come out.

horner

May 22, 2007
Fair point. But physicality matters throughout a 7 game series when players might get worn down for taking hits after hits.

I saw a lot more Bruins players, aggresively pursuing the puck and getting in on the forecheck with heavy hits to separate our D-Man from the puck. Which caused puck possession and eventually led to goals.

When that starts to happen, our players need to respond back and not be afraid to play stronger along the boards and knock people down, instead of going for soft poke checks
Yep

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Something that I don’t really see brought up when talking about the series last year, we were trying really hard to tip the puck in during the first games of that series, however Rask did a really good job of playing it before our forecheck we could get there. If we’re going to play this dump/tip in game against the Bruins, we either need:

1. The forwards not just standing still at the offensive blue line waiting for a stretch pass and instead timing it better so they enter the zone with speed.

2. Better placed dumps and tips into the corners rather than behind the net so Rask can’t help.

The good news is these are two areas I think we’ve improved on this year.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
We'll get the old NAz back in the playoffs (as long as he doesnt get suspended again). We've seen instances from him this season where its come out.

A concussion can change you for the worse. Look at Leo Komarov after his.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

how on earth were we up heading into the 3rd period of game 7, I wonder?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
A concussion can change you for the worse. Look at Leo Komarov after his.

Komarov hsas been playing extremely physical this season with the Isles. May not be fighting, but hitting nonetheless.

Chances of fighting in the playoffs are low anyways. Its more about scrums

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
how on earth were we up heading into the 3rd period of game 7, I wonder?
That's when you see the real character of your team, when their backs are against the wall and there's no more wiggle room.

The Bruins thrived. The Leafs turtled.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
17-18 Playoffs, Round 1:

TOR: 216 hits, 102 blocked shots, 66tka, 79gva 50.2fo%
BOS: 221 hits, 95 blocked shots, 38tka, 67gva, 49.8fo%

Big bad bruins threw 5 whole more hits than the softy Leafs.

Definitely the difference in the series.

This is pretty much what the thread is about. The bruins physicality is way overblown

Reactions: ktownhockey

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

Kryptonite to physical teams is speed and skill
Kryptonite to speed and skill is physical play.

So what does it come down to then?

It comes down to execution of the gameplan and the will ,drive & compete to succeed.

The Leafs don't lack physicality. In Fact they'd be stupid engaging in this department straying away from there strength of play. It's the latter in will ,drive & compete to succeed that is inconsistent is they're achilles heel.

When the Leafs are competing and executing they're skill & speed game they're one of the toughest opponents to beat because they can score in bunches and also have great goaltending.

It's internal for the Leaf players that nobody but themselves can do a thing about it. Normally it's losing and that gut wrecking feeling that comes from it is how highend skilled players learn the meaning of compete. That loss vs the ISL was huge blessing. This group will get it and I wouldn't want to be the first team to play them when the burning desire to compete & win matches they're skill & talent in the playoffs.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
so it has nothing to do with toughness.
Not the way you Non Aggression Hockey League guys define it. You know, face punching and big hits. The way the rest of us in the real world define "toughness", real mental and physical toughness, sure had EVERYTHING to do with it.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Not the way you Non Aggression Hockey League guys define it. You know, face punching and big hits. The way the rest of us in the real world define "toughness", real mental and physical toughness, sure had EVERYTHING to do with it.

are mental and physical toughness the same thing?

Reactions: stopclickbait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad