The Bruins' Mount Rushmore(and other teams)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Montreal with Roy, Dryden, Plante, Dunham, and others has their own goalie Mount Rushmore just as Boston's defense has theirs- Orr, Shore, Bourque, Park

As for Montreal I take out the goalies and go

Beliveau
Richard
Morenz

The last is either LaFleur or Harvey

Boston I've thought about this

Orr
Shore
Esposito

Last spot between Schmidt and Bourque - going with Milty due to Cuos
Chief is 6

Dan,

I am with you on most stuff, but with apologies to the Rock,

"How in the blue hell can you have Esposito over Bourque or Schmidt?"

I completely forgot about Shore when I made my list initially, so I am thinking:

Shore
Orr
Bourque
Schmidt

I cannot put a guy on the list that has bad-mouthed the B's as much as Espo has over the last 30+ years.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Not sure how some disqualify Ray Bourque? He's the 2nd best defenseman of all time. 1st in points by a dman. Great Leader.

My 4 (Orr, Bourque, Schmidt, Shore)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Mount Rushmore of suck:

Pandolfo
Caron
Hamill
Kaberle

The alternative to Karberle was Kampfer. You alter that I'm certain the Bruins don't win the Cup and I'm confident don't beat the Canadiens in round 1.

I remember Kaberle coming up big at times in that round specifically.

Overall he was a disappointment but he 100% deserved his name on that Cup.

I was at every home game and sit second row right behind goal judge Boston defends twice and I have some of the best views on the planet how Boston defenseman play and Kaberle wasn't bad in the playoffs and especially sucked it up and took some big hits in the playoffs to make plays he never would have in regular season

Regular season grade - C-/D (expected B+)

Playoffs - B

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think Orr and Shore are the only 2 that no one should be arguing against. Both were considered the best player in the league (as well as among the best players of all time) and won multiple Cups with Boston.

Schmidt is hard to argue against as he's essentially considered Mr. Bruin, he contributed to the organization after his playing days and his story is pretty much unbeatable. That being said, he's a step down from the first two guys, so I can understand some people leaving him off.

Bourque is the most questionable considering he never won a Cup in Boston, but his longevity, consistency and dominance should be enough for people to have him on.

I can understand some hesitancy on a couple of the players, but it still seems pretty cut and dry for the Bruins for an argument like this.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Espo's being traded stems from something that happened in the 1975 playoffs.

The Bruins lost the first round to Chicago in a best of 3 that they should have swept.

In Game 3 Boston outshot the Hawks 56-19 and lost 6 to 4. With 4 minutes left Espo scored to make it 6-4 and did a victory dance as though he had just won the Cup and Sinden was enraged.

Early the next season Harry made the blockbuster with New York which was fueled in part because Harry was concerned that Orr was finished.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Dan,

I am with you on most stuff, but with apologies to the Rock,

"How in the blue hell can you have Esposito over Bourque or Schmidt?"

I completely forgot about Shore when I made my list initially, so I am thinking:

Shore
Orr
Bourque
Schmidt

I cannot put a guy on the list that has bad-mouthed the B's as much as Espo has over the last 30+ years.

I think this nails it for me. To me this reads like the Bruins franchise owns the Norris trophy and just leases it out every so often (if there had been a Norris trophy in Shore's time).

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Torts isn't right about much, but he is spot on with Brooksie

The argument in Brooksie's case in Shore.

None of us saw Eddie Shore play - my Mother claimed she dated Shore before she met my father ( at a Bruins game natch ). Shore was the main reason Boston Garden was built in 1928.

I am now inclined to say the Bruins Mount Rushmore should be limited to players whose names are on the Cup as a Bruin. (Sorry 77)

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH

None of us saw Eddie Shore play - my Mother claimed she dated Shore before she met my father ( at a Bruins game natch ). Shore was the main reason Boston Garden was built in 1928.

I am now inclined to say the Bruins Mount Rushmore should be limited to players whose names are on the Cup as a Bruin. (Sorry 77)

If the Bruins win the Cup again with Bergeron as the captain would you put him up there or na? Just curious.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

If Cups are a factor, shouldn't Clapper get in, being the only Bruin ever to have been on 3 Cup winners in Boston?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the Bruins win the Cup again with Bergeron as the captain would you put him up there or na? Just curious.

Let me say simply I would love that option.

I would love to know who the Bruins player was that was teasing Shore after a game in a bar and Cherry was pleading with him to stop. Shore finally had enough and decked him ( and he was 80 years old )

Cherry has told the story often but never says who the player was.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Clark Booth chimes in with his four

Bruins: Near as much a slam dunk, if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphor. Bobby Orr, Eddie Shore, and Ray Bourque are automatic, but there’s intense competition for the fourth spot. Denying Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron is painful. Phil Esposito and Cam Neely have claims. So do Jean Ratelle and Brad Park. Very old timers will want Dit Clapper or Tiny Thompson. But in the end it comes down to old favorites Milt Schmidt and Johnny Buyck. Chief has the edge, but sentiment compels me to pick Miltie.

http://www.dotnews.com/columns/2015/it-s-cy-over-papi-no-4-red-sox-core-four-team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad