Online Series: The Boys (season 3)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
That scene
sort of quells my fears that they're going to get to the point where Homelander snaps and goes full on psychopath. He needs a big loss to push him to that point. Feels like there isn't as much of a rush to that finish line now. He's got his son on his side and the love of the people who don't care if he does whatever the f*** he wants.

I don't know if I like the Boys going forward without powers though. It can't just be Annie, Kimiko, and the ingenuity of the Boys to take Homelander down. Maybe it'll be Ryan in the end, but who knows?

Either way I loved how they had an MCU like supers showdown but the stakes between each fight were so visceral and compelling. The whole episode was fantastic.

I mean overall this was just a top notch season. I don't know what the hell the critics are on that this season has a 72 metacritic score. This is by far the best season in my mind. Just top notch storytelling from start to finish, greay satire without being overbearing, stellar performances from the whole cast this time not just Urban and Starr. Season 1 is still fantastic, don't get me wrong, but there were no lulls in any episode. Nothing felt like filler. I'm sure there's great TV out there currently that I haven't doven into, but this season was the best TV I watched all year. Maybe since the pandemic started.

Excellent points:

I could see season 4 based on The Boys trying to take down Neumann and focusing on that aspect while Homelander's unhinged behaviour keeps growing admiration from his cult followers, as he influences Ryan to follow in his footsteps which helps bring a stronger bond between the two.

Maybe towards the end of that season or season 5, where we see Ryan get killed and Homelander's meltdown is complete. Thus killing him and ending the show.

I think it's a forgone conclusion Butcher will get permanent V to keep him alive next season though.

Reactions: HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Oh right… good call. I remember the scene now where she freaked out A-train.

Her character is hard to get a grasp on. One minute I can’t stand her and the next she seems legit.
I think it boils down to Ashley is the embodiment of power hungry at the human level and within the corporate world. There's some humanity there but it's buried under the ambition monster she's built herself in to. Personally I think it's written and acted very well for an arguably unnecessary character. In the sense that Homelander could lose his temper and off Ashley and it would change very little of the narrative.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why do they make Starlight so f***ing weak lol. All that charge up, she faints afterwards and all it does is send SB back a little :laugh: . Maeve probably could have done that with a punch.

Also on Reddit I was seeing talk that the show runners said Noir isn't dead, but it will be like someone new behind the mask? No idea how that will work but guess we will see. Was disappointed they didnt have Noir reunite with SB.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Why do they make Starlight so f***ing weak lol. All that charge up, she faints afterwards and all it does is send SB back a little :laugh: . Maeve probably could have done that with a punch.
Starlight, like most supes, has no actual fighting skills or combat experience. Most of them are just for show and got to where they are based on looks, popularity, etc. Most of them have only ever fought against humans who don't have much ability to fight back, very few have ever fought against other supes.

Homelander and Soldier Boy were thought to be invulnerable, but a theme of season 3 has been to show how vulnerable they actually are to supes who know what they are doing.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think it boils down to Ashley is the embodiment of power hungry at the human level and within the corporate world. There's some humanity there but it's buried under the ambition monster she's built herself in to. Personally I think it's written and acted very well for an arguably unnecessary character. In the sense that Homelander could lose his temper and off Ashley and it would change very little of the narrative.

Homelander did kill Shue’s character who held the same role didn’t she?

A majority of the characters in the series seem to have the same level of good vs bad going on inside them as Ashley.

Starlight seems to be the only one without an agenda for power/revenge or a regretful past that includes a lot of killing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll echo some mild concerns that you're getting close to having the show spinning its wheels and not moving meaningfully forward with the story arc.

At certain point they need to get to where Homelander finally snaps and is defeated and once that happens the show needs to end. But you can't just keep flirting with that idea forever.

That being said, overall a really good season. Some excellent performances and the show has really great production values. Happy to see Jensen Ackles put in such a great performance. He was always great in Supernatural.

Reactions: HanSolo

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Also on Reddit I was seeing talk that the show runners said Noir isn't dead, but it will be like someone new behind the mask? No idea how that will work but guess we will see. Was disappointed they didnt have Noir reunite with SB.
I'm assuming the real Noir is dead, but Vought will just put a new superhero in his costume and pretend like it's the same person. That's why there was no tribute for him like there was for Maeve. No one in the public knows he's dead so they'll just pretend he isn't.

Reactions: NyQuil

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Homelander did kill Shue’s character who held the same role didn’t she?

A majority of the characters in the series seem to have the same level of good vs bad going on inside them as Ashley.

Starlight seems to be the only one without an agenda for power/revenge or a regretful past that includes a lot of killing.
Yeah but he had a...I almost said "good reason" but, nah he just had a reason that was justified to him.

He may not like Ashley but she's useful to him. An obedient puppet who will handle the business end of Vought that he can't be bothered to involve himself with. Obviously he could probably go out and find someone more qualified, but I think he probably can't be bothered with that either.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
I watch a lot of TV Dramas... I have no problem putting The Boys Season 3 right up there as one of the best seasons of any TV drama ever. I think it was that good. The arcs of all the major characters were fully realized and very satisfying for me.

The social commentary was very direct, very outrageous, very disturbing... also a spot on mirror of American culture today. Really brilliant stuff.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Loved Ashley this season. Her trying to embody the woke corporate hipster image was great and probably not far off what some of these corporate execs are doing.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The one thing that I think the writers completely missed the ball on is with regards to Hughie/Kimiko and the similarities of their character arcs.

Kimiko going from wanting to lose her powers because of the violence she has committed to gleefully using them again to rip the f***ing skin off some dude's face (all with a smile) makes it seem like they did not know what to do with her character. The fact that she is so distracted that Frenchie ends up getting shot (but it is okay because it was just in the leg and you can't ever die from being shot in the leg) completely goes against whatever lesson they were trying to make with her.

In the end, Hughie is the bad guy for wanting to have the power to save someone she loves, Kimiko is fine for wanting to rip mooks to pieces at her leisure.[/quote]

Reactions: Hivemind

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I watch a lot of TV Dramas... I have no problem putting The Boys Season 3 right up there as one of the best seasons of any TV drama ever. I think it was that good. The arcs of all the major characters were fully realized and very satisfying for me.

The social commentary was very direct, very outrageous, very disturbing... also a spot on mirror of American culture today. Really brilliant stuff.

We know who Homelander represents and the writers flat out confirmed it.

So the scene where he lasered dude’s head and got cheered on is pretty easy to piece together what it represented.

Hope they stop Starlight and her pedo ring before the series is over though…

Yeah but he had a...I almost said "good reason" but, nah he just had a reason that was justified to him.

He may not like Ashley but she's useful to him. An obedient puppet who will handle the business end of Vought that he can't be bothered to involve himself with. Obviously he could probably go out and find someone more qualified, but I think he probably can't be bothered with that either.

I’m just wondering why she deleted that footage… to save her own ass or to protect QM?

Maybe both?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

So the scene where he lasered dude’s head and got cheered on is pretty easy to piece together what it represented.

I’m just wondering why she deleted that footage… to save her own ass or to protect QM?

Maybe both?

That last scene where Homelander rips her, Deep, and A Train apart might have been her tipping point (and a big moment in her character development).

If Homelander is going to be defeated, I think she would be a pivotal resource for The Boys .. maybe we'll see that next season.

Also Deep and A Train might finally break too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That last scene where Homelander rips her, Deep, and A Train apart might have been her tipping point (and a big moment in her character development).

If Homelander is going to be defeated, I think she would be a pivotal resource for The Boys .. maybe we'll see that next season.

Also Deep and A Train might finally break too.

You can definitely tell Deep and A Train have hit the Moral Conscience roadblock.

They also know he’s tried to off QM and killed BN. So they could likely be his next victim.

Self preservation and guilt will eventually pit them agt Homelander I imagine.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Maybe both?
"I could shot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and no one would care"

That? ;)

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
"I could shot someone in the middle of 5th avenue and no one would care"

That? ;)

The show runners have been pretty open about who Homelander represents.

Just did a quick search and that’s exactly what they were going for:

"Could we take Homelander so far as to literally kill somebody on Fifth Avenue and then be applauded for it? It’s funny. It’s like at the time we wrote it, we felt it was like a little satirically pushed, but it is true that the more awful politicians are behaving, you know, the more popular they’re becoming with their fan base."

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The one thing that keeps this show from going completely off the rails is keeping a couple of people to root for, despite being led by so many pieces of shit. If this were just Butcher and Co. v. Homelander and Vought I don't think I could stand it, but having Kamiko and M.M have some sort of moral compass and be good characters really keeps this thing going for me in a way that a lot of these "darker" shows don't.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Awesome season!
Spoilers below!

I have to wonder if they're setting Homelander up to become president of the US. I have to wonder if a civil war breaks out next season? It's going to get ugly. That's for sure.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Excellent points:

I could see season 4 based on The Boys trying to take down Neumann and focusing on that aspect while Homelander's unhinged behaviour keeps growing admiration from his cult followers, as he influences Ryan to follow in his footsteps which helps bring a stronger bond between the two.

Maybe towards the end of that season or season 5, where we see Ryan get killed and Homelander's meltdown is complete. Thus killing him and ending the show.

I think it's a forgone conclusion Butcher will get permanent V to keep him alive next season though.
In the comics, all of the boys all got permanent V early on in their lives or prior to joining the boys. I look forward to seeing weather or not Frenchie, MM, Hughie, and Butcher all get their shots.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
In the comics, all of the boys all got permanent V early on in their lives or prior to joining the boys. I look forward to seeing weather or not Frenchie, MM, Hughie, and Butcher all get their shots.
IDK this thing seems to just not give a shit about the comics except on a surface level.

I really hope they don't get permanent V. It undercuts the whole point of everything if they end up becoming supes to stop the supes. Seems like it also just completely cuts against the central plot point of this season.

Reactions: NyQuil

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Liked this a lot more than any of the DC or Marvel stuff, Homelander is a far more interesting villain than anything I've seen from them. Great social commentary/political satire while skewering everything wrong with the current crop of superhero media.

Reactions: the squared circle

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Just finished watching it yesterday, I really enjoyed this season and didn't think the finale was bad at all. I'm glad they're starting to remove some of the familiar faces to help keep things a bit fresh. Not sure how much longer this show can go another season or two would probably be perfect.

I'm not usually a fan of political commentary and satire, mostly because I think shows do an incredibly poor job with it, but this one does it right and it fits so well into the story they're telling.

I suspect they'll end up using V to cure Butcher, but they'll also figure out how they can replicate Soldier Boys ability to remove super powers so they can have him (or others) go back to being a normal human. Essentially temporary V will become obsolete if they can figure out how to reliably remove regular V.

I'm also waiting for the mass marketing of temporary V that will cause a national crisis since it actually kills people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad