Online Series: The Boys on Amazon

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
While the show is well made there are some pretty big differences to the comic, especially one stands out. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say what I mean here. Not the biggest fan.

Reactions: Supermassive

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I really liked it, well done overall with good writing and acting. Can't wait for the second season which production has already started on and I think will have two more (10) episodes.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I'm 3 episodes in and hooked enough to continue. Plays a bit like Mr. Robot (geek with issues goes up against powerful corrupt corporation). That corporation has monetized super-heroes gone bad. Best performances so far IMO are Karl Urban as Butcher and Anthony Starr as Homelander but I'm just 3 episodes in. A bit grizzly at times and not as funny as advertised but so far so good anyway. Enjoying how the super-hero concept is taking a satirical beating.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I share everyone else's setiments- this is a dope show! I'll def tune in for season 2.

It has that GoT vibe in that you dont know who's going to get killed off. Some pretty big name players were killed off.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
While the show is well made there are some pretty big differences to the comic, especially one stands out. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say what I mean here. Not the biggest fan.

I started reading the comics after watching the season, and I totally understand why fans of the comic would be nonplussed. Safe to say, the show is only “based” on the comic book. I can especially see how Euro fans would be annoyed at the Americanization, I guess(?) of the source material.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I started reading the comics after watching the season, and I totally understand why fans of the comic would be nonplussed. Safe to say, the show is only “based” on the comic book. I can especially see how Euro fans would be annoyed at the Americanization, I guess(?) of the source material.
Since you already started the books I can tell you
yes, that irks me a little as well but that's not what I meant. None of the Boys, with the exception of the female, seem to have superpowers. Also, I miss Terror ;)

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
yes, that irks me a little as well but that's not what I meant. None of the Boys, with the exception of the female, seem to have superpowers. Also, I miss Terror ;)
I think it makes The Boys vulnerable, which is important for a Season 1. In the comics they had been shooting Compound V for a good while before Hughie was recruited. Also, the changes to Homelander in the show make him a far deeper and more important character. Sounds like Terror might get into Season 2!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Looks like a cut of the first episode for season 2 is already done

In a recent interview with Collider, Seth Rogen revealed he’s already seen a cut of the first episode of The Boys’ second season.
They already have more resources for the second season. They’re adding more characters, the scope of the show organically grows as the show continues. We just watched, actually, the first episode of the second season this week. It was a wonderful thing as producers. This is way better than I ever could’ve hoped it would be.​

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I mean that is clearly where they are going with the character of Butcher. It'd make no sense to have him with powers before meeting Hughie in the show since the whole pull was that they were regular people negatively effected by Supers I doubt Hughie would be inclined to work with a random Super after what happened to him and it would have diminished the struggles of the charcters this early on in the show. The thing I'm more concerned with is if they change the character of Black Noir because that would be a change I think would annoy fans of the comic.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I mean that is clearly where they are going with the character of Butcher. It'd make no sense to have him with powers before meeting Hughie in the show since the whole pull was that they were regular people negatively effected by Supers I doubt Hughie would be inclined to work with a random Super after what happened to him and it would have diminished the struggles of the charcters this early on in the show. The thing I'm more concerned with is if they change the character of Black Noir because that would be a change I think would annoy fans of the comic.
yeah, that would likely mean rewriting the entire conclusion, one of the better things the comic had.
But if Butcher would have just said that they are trying to get back at The Seven, Hughie could have still joined, super or not. It worked in the comics, it would have worked on screen. It might have diminished some struggles but they still could not work out in the open. But I doubt they stay that true, there was a lot of meandering in the source. We probably won't see Teenage Kix, the Russian angle, Herogasm etc. I hope they keep The Legend.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Just finished this and I have to say, in my opinion, this is the best comic to tv/movie show. Nothing to me came close. Watchmen was my favourite up until now, but this was like a Watchmen on steroids (or on Compound V).
Absolutely destroys all the Marvel comedy movies that are endlessly churned out. Nice to see so many Toronto locations too haha. Would have preferred some more Black Noir. Elisabeth Shue is still a beautiful woman :)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i just started season 1 last week. darky gritty fun. homelander is creepy as f***. karl urban is baddass! im just on episode 6 right now season 1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished season 1 and I really liked it.

I'm not a fan of the Marvel PG13 movies, I've only seen a few of them, but this is right up my alley.

Looking forward to starting season 2.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad