The Blues are starting to look like contenders.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
We don't need our heads being inflated by threads like this. It'll just kill us in the post season when someone shuts down our one scoring line... please for the love of god delete this. We are a playoff team yes... we always are. We are a fringe contender yes.. we always are. Jake needs to prove that he's consistent and notntake a month off from being a really fantastic goalie.

We also really need one more scorer. Bring up the kids and I like our chances.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It might be because Shattenkirk is gone.

He's a liability in his own zone and doesn't know how to play defense.

I don't think we have the white text option on this forum haha.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Lmao we get called contenders every year and then we just get bopped in the playoffs. People will talk about the Blues once they get to the Cup Finals. Making the Conference Finals 2 years ago was a nice step, but there needs to be progression.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
just got shut out by a team that had a defense with a combined 300 something games, with the longest vet having only 150 games. pump the brakes, horrible timing.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Ugh. I hate these "please tell me how great my home team is threads." Even more so when I see my favorite team (Blues) being the team in question. Not only is it eye roll inducing it almost guarantees a long losing streak for the team mentioned
Agreed. I'd rather see a "blues are overrated" thread pop up if they lose to the Leafs on Saturday....

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
It might be because Shattenkirk is gone.

He's a liability in his own zone and doesn't know how to play defense.

I don't think we have the white text option on this forum haha.

Shattenkirk is not the solution. Another scoring line is that would create some easier matchups for Tarasenko Schwartz and Schenn.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I think they did well to transition from the heavy game to a two-way hard working scheme.
It's funny though that while many names from failed years gone by are still there they look and give me the feeling they are very much different now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Shattenkirk is not the solution. Another scoring line is that would create some easier matchups for Tarasenko Schwartz and Schenn.
My post was mostly just a mock at all the ''Shattenkirk is a liability in his own zone'' posts that I saw over the offseason, and the vocal contingent of Washington fans that blamed their playoff loss at being a big part due to his acquisition.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
This thread was never going to go well. These self serving threads always do. Anyways, I think the Blues should make the playoffs but outside of that who knows? They need another top 6 player at either C/RW, and for Berglund to get back to solidify the 3rd line. If those things happen, I could see them getting to the WCF again if Jake plays like he did last postseason.

I look forward to the measured, objective posts from other fan bases in this thread. And I’m sure this will be a real treat if the Blues lose 3 of their next 5 games or something (which is all but guaranteed now.)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Blues just need an inkling more skill and creativity.
Someone like a Vadim Shipachyov on their third line would put them over the top. They can shelter him and the Blues have plenty of Russian-speakers.
----

To STL:
Ship

To LAS VEGAS:
3rd Round Pick 2018
blues would need to clear cap for that and bouwmeester is basically the only option to make that trade possible

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Even though the Blues lost to the world's most boring roster ever assembled last night, they looked like the superior team the entire night. The

Probably had something to do with the Flyers playing without their 2C (Patrick) and 3 of their top 4 defensemen (Ghost, Gudas, MacDonald) along with their top 2 AHL call-up options on D also being injured (Morin, Brennan).

The Blues failed to score on a Defense that consisted of:

Ivan Provorov (20 year old sophomore)
Robert Hagg (22 year old rookie playing 14th NHL game)
Travis Sanheim (21 year old rookie playing 10th NHL game)
Brandon Manning (27 year old plug)
Mark Alt (26 year old rookie playing 4th NHL game)
Will O'Neill (29 year old rookie playing 1st NHL game)

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Premonition of the Blues come round 2
giphy.gif

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I figured they would be a playoff team once again but not this good. Theyve had some bad injury luck too.

This.

Each year they get underrated. They have one of the best Dman and winger in the league. Just a solid good team overall. I would be really happy if they won it all.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Predicted them to win the Central this season.

Then we got news of all their injuries and i thought they'd be playing just a bit over .500 hockey until guys come back.

Turns out injuries didn't matter. Only strengthens my view of seeing them as a very strong team.

Part of it has to do with Yeo and i think he's a very good fit for the Blues. I still remember one playoff round against the Hawks when he was with the Wild. I think they got swept or lost in 5 games, but outplayed the Hawks for a big parts of the series. Basically they just got out-talented. Those were the golden years of the Hawks. But i always remember myself thinking if only the Wild could capitalize on their chances, they could beat anyone.

The Blues group can play Yeo hockey to the T and they're a much better team compared to the Wild back then. D one of the best in the league, Tarasenko, better scoring depth than in years past (IMO). Allen looks like he's now a legit #1. And they have a ton of experience.

Only weakness is the lack of dominant 1C, but if there's a team that can overcome this it's the Blues. Stastny-Schenn-Berglund-Brodziak still isn't bad.

It's a damn shame Fabbri is out though, i really thought he could be sort of x-factor for them and score some big goals in the playoffs. Now we're looking at guys like Sobotka or Jaskin, so, im not sure how that's going to go.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
The Blues have been contenders for the last 6 years. They haven’t finished a season with less than 99 points in a full season since then. They happened to play Chicago and LA teams that were really good teams and lost to them like the rest of the teams in the league did those years. The biggest disappointment was the year they lost to Minnesota.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I don't get a couple things.

This thread says they are starting to look like contenders? Do people foget just 2 yeards ago already? More on that below.

In my opinion, they have been contenders for the last 5 years. I also don't get something else. Why people are surprised there doing good? And all the talk they can't get it done in the playoffs. As if drawing the Blackhawks during their mini-modern day dynasty in the first round is easyy after dominating regulasr seasons because of a ridiculously tough division. They have had to do that twice, one time they went up 2-0 in the series and lost the next four but it was close. THe next year in 2016 they slayed the dragon so to speak ala VAN in 2011, beating the Hawks on Home Ice in Game 7 to finally get past them the first round and past the defending champions at the time. The Blues also won the next series against the team that would go onto the cup finals the next year, Nashville. Then , they came two wins away from the cup final just the year before last! Do people forget that already. No matter what way you may say about the Blues not getting it done, they are always clse and a borderline contender. But it's nothing NEW.
.The Media, at least on hockeycentral are all surprised by this start. As if they don't have a terrific top 6, deep in the middle, one of the best d coress, good role-players on the third and fourth lines, (although that's there weakest part of their team) and a GOalie who has been very solid and has been helped by Marty Brodeur.

I think they are more dangerous with Mike Yeo then Ken Hitchcock. I don't know much about Mike Yeo other then the fact he took the Wild on a couple decnet playoff runs and went apsycho in one practice, but I think they play a better team game now. The Schenn pick-up was flat out robbery, adding Sundqvist and Klostin, two great prospects at center and giving up Ryan Reaves was robbery. Doug Armstrong has done a fine job.

At the beginning of the season I called for Schwartz and Petriangelo to have a great year and so far so good. If Robbi Fabbri gets going, look out.

Vince Dunn is looking like a good depth d-man for now, COlton Parayko is among the bet young D-men in the league, they still got a VET in Jay-Bo, Gunnarson and especially Joel Edmundson really had a coming out party in the playoffs as guys that could step up in higher defensive roles. I think the loss of Shattenkirk didn't really efect them, it has allowed Petriangelo to play in more key situations on the powerplay he is excelling with the opportunity, he's probably been the best Defensemen this year all around in the first month.

If you have a problem remembering the Blues FOrward's just think the letter S.

Schenn
Stastny
Schwartz
Sobotka
Sundqvist
Steen
Scottie UpShall
TaraSenko\\\Okay, I'm stetching on the lsst two.

Reactions: Edgar Carrow

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The Blues have been contenders for the last 6 years. They haven’t finished a season with less than 99 points in a full season since then. They happened to play Chicago and LA teams that were really good teams and lost to them like the rest of the teams in the league did those years. The biggest disappointment was the year they lost to Minnesota.

You just said pretty well what I did., at the same time. My post was longer and took time to write on my slow laptop but the same kind of deal.

They may of lost to Wild also, however they went far in that series and the next yeasr more then made up for it by not only playing CHicago but beating them and then beating Nashville as I said above, almost going to the cup finals. Then getting there revenge on Minnesota last year outing them in what, 5 was it? Then eventually losing to the west champs in 6 in ROund 2. Nothing wrong with those runs, I don't get why people think this team chokes. They have had solid runs the last couple of years and have been an elite team as said above for 6 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad