The Blues are starting to look like contenders.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
No you don't NEED one, it's just really useful in winning the cup. Which would be a championship team.
History suggests in order to win a cup, an elite center is necessary.

Barring some crazy luck, I don't think we'll win the cup. However, I don't think there's a single team we couldn't at least challenge and possibly beat in a playoff series.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Even though the Blues lost to the world's most boring roster ever assembled last night, they looked like the superior team the entire night. The Blues have looked great beating everyone worth a damn in their conference so far and the only team to worry about that they've lost to was Tampa by a score of 2-1. Jake Allen looks like a legitimate starter.

Can we talk about them please? They could go pretty far this year. Once they've got their 3rd line situation solved, this is a great team that will only improve next year. Jordan Kyrou, Klim Kostin, Robert Thomas, and Tage Thompson are all players that could be impact players next year.

also they're gonna beat Toronto tomorrow

Hey, congrats on watching your first ever hockey game!

Reactions: King'sPawn

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The Blues have looked like contenders for years. They are part of that group of teams that are very good but need to take that next step in the playoffs.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Blues would have won a cup or two if they had a legit #1C who can constantly win match-ups.

Pietrangelo is a straight monster. Guy's been one of the best in the game for years and people are finally noticing how good he is after Shattenkirk getting out of there.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
This thread was never going to go well. These self serving threads always do. Anyways, I think the Blues should make the playoffs but outside of that who knows? They need another top 6 player at either C/RW, and for Berglund to get back to solidify the 3rd line. If those things happen, I could see them getting to the WCF again if Jake plays like he did last postseason.

I look forward to the measured, objective posts from other fan bases in this thread. And I’m sure this will be a real treat if the Blues lose 3 of their next 5 games or something (which is all but guaranteed now.)

I think you guys are going to steamroll through the regular season and have either the most or 2nd most points in the West.

But you Blues fans spent years watching Yeo coach and lose in the playoffs the same way us Hawks fans did. You also spent years watching great regular season teams getting beaten by good regular season teams with more talent. The Blues still "only" have Tarasenko to provide dynamic offense. The defense is very good, the goaltending is very good, the depth is very good, but still as always lacking in elite/big game offensive players that know how to create chances in the playoffs.

Pending the unlikelihood that the Blackhawks turn it around I think the Blues will comfortably head into the WCF. But it's still Yeo and it's still the Blues so I don't see them winning a Cup this year

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
History suggests in order to win a cup, an elite center is necessary.

Barring some crazy luck, I don't think we'll win the cup. However, I don't think there's a single team we couldn't at least challenge and possibly beat in a playoff series.
That's what i was mostly saying. We're not winning a cup, no illusions there, but the Blues are a contender....just not what I would call championship material. It takes a big stroke of luck to win a cup in our situation...heck even make the SCF. Similar to Nashville last year

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think you guys are going to steamroll through the regular season and have either the most or 2nd most points in the West.

But you Blues fans spent years watching Yeo coach and lose in the playoffs the same way us Hawks fans did. You also spent years watching great regular season teams getting beaten by good regular season teams with more talent. The Blues still "only" have Tarasenko to provide dynamic offense. The defense is very good, the goaltending is very good, the depth is very good, but still as always lacking in elite/big game offensive players that know how to create chances in the playoffs.

Pending the unlikelihood that the Blackhawks turn it around I think the Blues will comfortably head into the WCF. But it's still Yeo and it's still the Blues so I don't see them winning a Cup this year
I think a healhty Schwartz is in that dynamic territory. His injuries really set him back. Given how Chicago and LA aren't running the show anymore, and Ananheim is a mess. The west is wide open for the good, but not great teams this year.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I don’t see why the OP had to be rude about the Flyers. They played a hell of a game under very difficult circumstances and Neuvirth deserves recognition for that effort.

I cringe when I see threads like this about my team. Nice start, but the injury hit to the depth is going to take its toll. There are lots of young promising guys, but the 3rd line is currently a mess. No Fabbri, Berglund and Sanford means it’s a bigger problem that Barbashev, Thompson, Snd Blais have all shown they’re not ready. Bennett, Jaskin Paajarvi, and Sundqvist should be 4th line players in an ideal situation.

There will be more injuries. The points the Blues are banking now will be needed in this tough division. There is nothing productive to say in a thread like this until the Blues are in a WCF again. Man, they sure could use Fabbri right now.

Reactions: The Note

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I always viewed this as year 2/2 of a transition for the Blues so I never had championship expectations for this team. Once Fabbri went down again my expectations lowered again. The long and the short of it is, the team needs to add a top 6 center. Turris would be a terrific add, and would put this team as firmly the best in the Western Conference. Obviously, Tavares would be the dream scenario but idt he’s leaving the Isles. As it stands now, I still think they’re one of the 3 best teams in the conference and could see them making a WCF appearance just as likely as them blowing up in the first round. IMO the Blues are gearing up for another real shot at the SCF starting next year -assuming they add a center- and with Thomas, Kostin and Dunn supplementing the current core. The Blues are set up nicely to be a very strong team for the next 3 years at the very least.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Like others have said, the lack of a high end center is the missing piece. They have the D, the goaltending is good enough and they have Tarasenko. It wouldn't be a shock to see them at least make the WCF. Problem is, I can see a bunch of other teams getting that far too. LA,San Jose,Chicago,Anaheim,St.Louis...it won't be easy to make it past round 2.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
All I know about this, is that the Leafs are going to lose another game. An easy win for the Blues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad