THE BIGGEST ISSUE: CULTURE

OilersRage

Mar 5, 2018
Dallas, TX
DISCLOSURE: Even though this is my first post, I want to say that I have been a huge fan of the Edmonton Oilers since Esa Tikkanen's Game 7 goal against Calgary in 1991. And that is when I was living in Calgary! It is now approaching my 18th year as a fan of the Edmonton Oilers and yes I have been with this team as a fan through its ups and downs.

The Edmonton Oilers have the most PASSIONATE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE FAN BASE in the entire NHL. Zero doubt about it. Who doesn't want to see this team relive the magic of the 80s and 1990? But remember, that team was built on a truly amazing and passionate culture, cultivated by none other than Glen Sather. Remember it is not Gretzky, Messier, Coffey or members of the OBC, it was Sather and his cultural mindset. Just ask the players themselves. Let us use that as the foundation of what I am about to say.

Fast forward to the early birth of 2019 and here we are. Nearly 10 years plus in the decade of darkness and this fan base including myself is up in arms as to what the heck is going on. We want to blame players, coaching staff, the GM, etc. We provide our insight on potential problems, issues, recommendations, trade proposals, who should stay, who should leave. Most of the time band aid solutions to the obvious problem: the culture set by ownership!

As a fan or even a player, you look up and see an inept set of individuals running the show including the current GM who has made some bone headed moves. We see, replacement of endless coaches, a revolving set of players coming in and out of the club, players who have voiced cultural issues, etc. But if I am a player with the current team or looking on the outside, you sense a broken home within the Edmonton Oilers. You witness some of the most head scratching decisions with management personnel or lack thereof, recent trades that send the wrong message (e.g. as recent as Manning, Petrovic), players who don't show a level of consistent compete or stand up for your star player and at the end of the day? Rinse and repeat for years if not over a decade! What message does that send to the club on the ice? To the fan base that spends their hard earn money to support not just the on ice product but the entire organization? The message is simple: less than mediocrity is acceptable and the latter will continue to define the management, their decisions and ultimately the on ice product. To me, that is one messed up way of thinking and culture to live within.

I appreciate you reading this. I have so much to say as a fan and look forward to sharing my thoughts and listening to yours.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
DISCLOSURE: Even though this is my first post, I want to say that I have been a huge fan of the Edmonton Oilers since Esa Tikkanen's Game 7 goal against Calgary in 1991. And that is when I was living in Calgary! It is now approaching my 18th year as a fan of the Edmonton Oilers and yes I have been with this team as a fan through its ups and downs.

The Edmonton Oilers have the most PASSIONATE AND KNOWLEDGEABLE FAN BASE in the entire NHL. Zero doubt about it. Who doesn't want to see this team relive the magic of the 80s and 1990? But remember, that team was built on a truly amazing and passionate culture, cultivated by none other than Glen Sather. Remember it is not Gretzky, Messier, Coffey or members of the OBC, it was Sather and his cultural mindset. Just ask the players themselves. Let us use that as the foundation of what I am about to say.

Fast forward to the early birth of 2019 and here we are. Nearly 10 years plus in the decade of darkness and this fan base including myself is up in arms as to what the heck is going on. We want to blame players, coaching staff, the GM, etc. We provide our insight on potential problems, issues, recommendations, trade proposals, who should stay, who should leave. Most of the time band aid solutions to the obvious problem: the culture set by ownership!

As a fan or even a player, you look up and see an inept set of individuals running the show including the current GM who has made some bone headed moves. We see, replacement of endless coaches, a revolving set of players coming in and out of the club, players who have voiced cultural issues, etc. But if I am a player with the current team or looking on the outside, you sense a broken home within the Edmonton Oilers. You witness some of the most head scratching decisions with management personnel or lack thereof, recent trades that send the wrong message (e.g. as recent as Manning, Petrovic), players who don't show a level of consistent compete or stand up for your star player and at the end of the day? Rinse and repeat for years if not over a decade! What message does that send to the club on the ice? To the fan base that spends their hard earn money to support not just the on ice product but the entire organization? The message is simple: less than mediocrity is acceptable and the latter will continue to define the management, their decisions and ultimately the on ice product. To me, that is one messed up way of thinking and culture to live within.

I appreciate you reading this. I have so much to say as a fan and look forward to sharing my thoughts and listening to yours.

1/2 here. Passionate and knowledgeable can never go hand in hand.

And like weve seen for 10 years now, cycling through many dozens of players, its not culture. Its just a lack of good players. You add skill, you get better on ice results, and everyone is happy. Boom, culture fixed.

GMs kill teams by chasing players with "intangibles" vs chasing skill to improve culutre. Often, GMs on bad teams target depth players on good teams because they think those players bring "intangiblez", so they over pay to get them and over play them once they get them. And it mostly always turns out, those grinders/role players had no impact on the former teams success, and dont actually ever improve culture. See Fraser/ Ference/ Lucic etc etc etc

Winning improves culture. Adding players with actual skill leads to winning. Culutre is always, always, always, a by product of winning/losing (not the driver)

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Katz is a very rich man and that is why his actions as owner of the Oilers is so surprising. He knows that if the person you have in control isn’t doing a good job then you let that person go. Yet he continues to let Bob N, Kevin Lowe, Craig MacT, PC, etc... ruin HIS business. I can only speculate how much money he loses out on when the Oilers don’t make the playoffs for the millionth time. Zero accountability in this organization for failure and that goes all the way to the top. Unless it’s scapegoating the coach.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
1/2 here. Passionate and knowledgeable can never go hand in hand.

And like weve seen for 10 years now, cycling through many dozens of players, its not culture. Its just a lack of good players. You add skill, you get better on ice results, and everyone is happy. Boom, culture fixed.

GMs kill teams by chasing players with "intangibles" vs chasing skill to improve culutre. Often, GMs on bad teams target depth players on good teams because they think those players bring "intangiblez", so they over pay to get them and over play them once they get them. And it mostly always turns out, those grinders/role players had no impact on the former teams success, and dont actually ever improve culture. See Fraser/ Ference/ Lucic etc etc etc

Winning improves culture. Adding players with actual skill leads to winning. Culutre is always, always, always, a by product of winning/losing (not the driver)

I agree with bolded but disagree with your final point. I think culture is a component of a winning formula, one which is bolstered by said winning. I think it's a much lesser component than having good players, but having a divisive locker room can absolutely ruin a supposedly good team. If you've ever thought of a good player being a bad fit on a team and ripe for a rebound on a new team? Well, there you go - culture. I also believe that locker room cancers can exist, but are widely overblown by the media and fans (see a 1OA of ours...).

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Teams that win a lot have good players - a lot more good players than we have. If this team didn't have so many top 9 forward and top 4 d holes, "culture" wouldn't be a concern, because we'd be a perennial 100+ point playoff team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
First of all to the OP my condolences to latching onto the train at the worst possible time in 91 just to see an extended period of bleakness after that. The dynasty was dead by then and with even Minny and Chicago kicking it in the junk in the playoffs and those were not world beater clubs back then. You caught the tail end, had a tease and the dream was done.

Now to the culture club.

I can't stress enough that its the culture of management that is rotten to the core with this org and has been the extent of time you have been a fan. Even Sather and Barry Fraser rotted here. But in the Klowe/MacT/Tambo/Chia/Nicholson/Gretzky time frame its best explained by this, I encourage everybody to read the link, and you've probably heard of it, and its enlightening and really applies to this clubs management structure. Never more exemplified than Klowe saying "I think I know a thing about winning if that's ever in question"

What’s behind the confidence of the incompetent? It’s not a disease, syndrome or mental illness

Reactions: Cypress and Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Knowledgeable fans though right haha
I was among the biggest Petry and Gilbert fans on this board. How good would D like that look offensively with a McDrai arsenal?

Both actually played well here and got scapegoated for no sound reason.

Schultz did play badly here but you wait with players like that.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I was among the biggest Petry and Gilbert fans on this board. How good would D like that look offensively with a McDrai arsenal?

Both actually played well here and got scapegoated for no sound reason.

Schultz did play badly here but you wait with players like that.

Gilbert is, was, and always will be terrible at hockey. Cashed in on one good season where i believe he racked up a lot of secondary assists.

Petry was too far up the line up. Couldn't handle top 3 minutes consistently. Little I have followed him he has still struggled with consistency overall in Montreal. If his play is improving again I wonder if it's his contract year?

Schultz is the best of the bunch ironically although he had zero chance of playing well in Edmonton. Still not the great impact top 3 option I thought he would be.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Gilbert is, was, and always will be terrible at hockey. Cashed in on one good season where i believe he racked up a lot of secondary assists.

Petry was too far up the line up. Couldn't handle top 3 minutes consistently. Little I have followed him he has still struggled with consistency overall in Montreal. If his play is improving again I wonder if it's his contract year?

Schultz is the best of the bunch ironically although he had zero chance of playing well in Edmonton. Still not the great impact top 3 option I thought he would be.

That's a whole lot of wrong for one short post.

Reactions: Jamin

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
when you land a generational talent, then go hire 1 old hermit and a GM who cant judge a stick from a log , and is stuck a decade behind everyone else, then you have cultural problems. This organization just killing themselves from the inside out. A joke.

Why is he still employed this morning ?

I am not surprised at all.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If the culture was better would they be better at drafting?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad