THE BIGGEST ISSUE: CULTURE

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Ill give Schultz a pretty huge pass. He was thrust into a top pairing role he clearly wasnt ready for. Had we kept Petry and Gilbert, he would have developed very well in a bottom pairing role. Our right side would have been pretty good

Theyll do a case study on the Oilers one day, and students will have to analyze why the Oilers traded away 2 top 4 puck moving RHD for next to nothing, and then spent the next 3-5 years searching for those same type of D and never succeeding.

Kind how we traded 2 excellent faceoff centermen and spent 5 years looking for replaxements.
Stoll and Broziak

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Never once, in Oilers history, has a fan ever been able to pick up the phone and trade anybody, anywhere, for any reason. Players shouldn’t give a damn what some donkey said about them on twitter, and I am certain that GMs dont care. Gilbert was traded because Tambellini was an ass. Petry was traded because MacTavish was an ass. Schultz was traded because, without Petry, he was force fed top line minutes on a shallow team, and was basically shattered and playing terribly when he got the bullet. Eberle was traded because Lucic was sucking $6M out of us (cuz Chia is an ass), we had McDavid and Draisaitl contracts looming, and he had become a soft, perimeter, shadow of his former self while still sucking up $6M of his own.

Fans dont run players out of town. Mismanagement does. There is some correlation between fans hating a player and that player getting traded. Newsflash- players playing poorly make managers as unhappy as the fans, and they get traded.
NOTE: This is not to say that idiots dont make players unhappy chirping them and their wife and kids when they are trying to live their lives off the ice, and I sincerely wish those few *******s that engage in that kind of behaviour would STOP IT.
Are you f***ing kidding me? At the end of his time here, Schultz was getting booed when he touched the puck AT HOME.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Never once, in Oilers history, has a fan ever been able to pick up the phone and trade anybody, anywhere, for any reason. Players shouldn’t give a damn what some donkey said about them on twitter, and I am certain that GMs dont care. Gilbert was traded because Tambellini was an ass. Petry was traded because MacTavish was an ass. Schultz was traded because, without Petry, he was force fed top line minutes on a shallow team, and was basically shattered and playing terribly when he got the bullet. Eberle was traded because Lucic was sucking $6M out of us (cuz Chia is an ass), we had McDavid and Draisaitl contracts looming, and he had become a soft, perimeter, shadow of his former self while still sucking up $6M of his own.

Fans dont run players out of town. Mismanagement does. There is some correlation between fans hating a player and that player getting traded. Newsflash- players playing poorly make managers as unhappy as the fans, and they get traded.
NOTE: This is not to say that idiots dont make players unhappy chirping them and their wife and kids when they are trying to live their lives off the ice, and I sincerely wish those few *******s that engage in that kind of behaviour would STOP IT.
I disagree here. This org, if they don't like a player, or don't want them, will invent a reason to stir up a controversy. Did this with all of Pronger, Smyth, Souray, Hall, Comrie, Gilbert, Petry etc. The org checks what gets stated on social media like this board as well. This org years ago actually had people posting favorable org comments online from confederate posters sought out for that express purpose. they like to shape and monitor what opinion is. It then justifies whatever latest crazy whacked out deal they can put together.

Years ago even when the Oilers were not affording being a contender they carefully sought out information on most popular players. Afairc they even polled season ticket holders. They had to move out players and wanted input on who they should keep. They ended up keeping Smyth and moving out Weight and Guerin. They felt they could do that due to the fan opinion at the time and that was around the time that Smyth was most popular player even though Weight was a more integral player.

But mostly paying fans have culpability because they allow the Oilers charade o incompetence to persist for so long. Endlessly really. Since the OP has been a fan. This org had about a decade of being astute and after that getting their lunch money stolen.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Are you ****ing kidding me? At the end of his time here, Schultz was getting booed when he touched the puck AT HOME.
Because he was playing way too high in the line up, he played like crap. Because he played like crap, he got boo’d and traded. You are confusing cause and effect. What you are trying to tell me is that an Oilers GM has had a good player that somehow the fans just dont like, so the GM says “well gee, I sure like him but the fans boo’d him so I guess I’d better phone Garth Snow and dump him.” Doesnt happen.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Ill give Schultz a pretty huge pass. He was thrust into a top pairing role he clearly wasnt ready for. Had we kept Petry and Gilbert, he would have developed very well in a bottom pairing role. Our right side would have been pretty good

Theyll do a case study on the Oilers one day, and students will have to analyze why the Oilers traded away 2 top 4 puck moving RHD for next to nothing, and then spent the next 3-5 years searching for those same type of D and never succeeding.
I have no doubt there will be a Harvard business case review done about the Oilers “management” that MBA students in university will study.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Are you ****ing kidding me? At the end of his time here, Schultz was getting booed when he touched the puck AT HOME.
At least the fans were knowledgeable enough to boo the right Schultz.

:sarcasm:

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
So did McDavids contract bust the franchise? It all seemed to go downhill once that happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad