THE BIGGEST ISSUE: CULTURE

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I was among the biggest Petry and Gilbert fans on this board. How good would D like that look offensively with a McDrai arsenal?

Both actually played well here and got scapegoated for no sound reason.

Schultz did play badly here but you wait with players like that.
I think Schultz was done here but it was mostly the trickle down effect of the bad situation he was put in after Petry was traded. Petry wanted 4.5 mil for 5 years. My god MacT was an idiot for not giving it to him.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The problem is that there is a bald headed f*** trading away all of our futures, who has impunity because he's surrounded by a bunch of morons who are too busy circle jerking each other off watching 40th anniversary videos to make any changes. Meanwhile you have the sloppy, greasy owner paying mistresses to pretend to be interested in him enough that he's blinded to the fact that his childhood heroes aren't his friends, they're just in his pocket and the record and on-ice product is irrelevant at this point.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I was among the biggest Petry and Gilbert fans on this board. How good would D like that look offensively with a McDrai arsenal?

Both actually played well here and got scapegoated for no sound reason.

Schultz did play badly here but you wait with players like that.

Ill give Schultz a pretty huge pass. He was thrust into a top pairing role he clearly wasnt ready for. Had we kept Petry and Gilbert, he would have developed very well in a bottom pairing role. Our right side would have been pretty good

Theyll do a case study on the Oilers one day, and students will have to analyze why the Oilers traded away 2 top 4 puck moving RHD for next to nothing, and then spent the next 3-5 years searching for those same type of D and never succeeding.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Drafting and development is this groups biggest concern imo

Can't do it with 1st round picks and free agency alone.
To be fair, I think the drafting has improved since PC took over.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
People are overreacting, we are only 2 points out of a wildcard. We are about to go on a nice little run I think.

You are either an official Oilers burner account or the most positive guy here. I applaud you never wavering from your steadfast beliefs!

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I watched the Jets/Avs game before the Oil/Sharks last night. The level of talent in the 1st game was light years ahead of the Oilers. Passing so fast it's amazing the player's brains are able to keep up.

The Oilers top 5 players aren't that far ahead of any team's top 5, certainly not enough to compensate for the rest of the team. Definitely tired of hearing the players just aren't tring hard enough, if they have to try way harder than the opposition every night it's obviously a talent problem.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers "culture"

1.) Rely on very young players to carry franchise.

2.) Hire stupid management that cannot surround said players with a good team.

3.) Add 2 scoops of poor/crap drafting in rounds 2,3,4,and 5.

4.) Be sure to pass on Matt Barzal, Chabot, Conner when given a chance.

5.) Trade you 2nd best player who can drive a secondary line and give your star player a break once in a blue moon for a no-offence, mediocre at puck moving ability no.3 D-Man. Be sure to act surprised when 2 years later you are a one line team.

6.) Most important step ... now blame young players for the reason the team isn't good. They'll probably have decent stats, so to get around that you push the term "culture".

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Oilers "culture"

1.) Rely on very young players to carry franchise.

2.) Hire stupid management that cannot surround said players with a good team.

3.) Add 2 scoops of poor/crap drafting in rounds 2,3,4,and 5.

4.) Be sure to pass on Matt Barzal, Chabot, Conner when given a chance.

5.) Trade you 2nd best player who can drive a secondary line and give your star player a break once in a blue moon for a no-offence, mediocre at puck moving ability no.3 D-Man.

6.) Most important step ... now blame young players for the reason the team isn't good. They'll probably have decent stats, so to get around that you push the term "culture".

You forgot, "bank on hope, whilst everyone knows that you're going to constantly tank for talent. Build up reserves of talent and right before it blooms: step 5."

fifty_in39

Feb 19, 2004
: ... the culture set by ownership!

The only culture issue is we can't find a goalie. Stop the fricking puck! What was Talbot looking at on that first one last night? A deflection along the ice from outside the ringette line. That has been the number 1 problem with this team for 2 years.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Winning begets winning and losing begets losing.

Came here to say this. Winning creates a positive culture. Clean out the hockey ops and replace them with competent people that know what they're doing, that build the right team and winning will happen. The culture will follow. It always starts at the top, like any business.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
DISCLOSURE: Even though this is my first post, I want to say that I have been a huge fan of the Edmonton Oilers since Esa Tikkanen's Game 7 goal against Calgary in 1991. And that is when I was living in Calgary! It is now approaching my 18th year as a fan of the Edmonton Oilers and yes I have been with this team as a fan through its ups and downs

Not to make you feel old, but that was 28 Years Ago not 18 :wally:

Reactions: fuswald

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The fans also need to stop driving players out of town. Gilbert, Petry, Schultz, Eberle, etc.
Never once, in Oilers history, has a fan ever been able to pick up the phone and trade anybody, anywhere, for any reason. Players shouldn’t give a damn what some donkey said about them on twitter, and I am certain that GMs dont care. Gilbert was traded because Tambellini was an ass. Petry was traded because MacTavish was an ass. Schultz was traded because, without Petry, he was force fed top line minutes on a shallow team, and was basically shattered and playing terribly when he got the bullet. Eberle was traded because Lucic was sucking $6M out of us (cuz Chia is an ass), we had McDavid and Draisaitl contracts looming, and he had become a soft, perimeter, shadow of his former self while still sucking up $6M of his own.

Fans dont run players out of town. Mismanagement does. There is some correlation between fans hating a player and that player getting traded. Newsflash- players playing poorly make managers as unhappy as the fans, and they get traded.
NOTE: This is not to say that idiots dont make players unhappy chirping them and their wife and kids when they are trying to live their lives off the ice, and I sincerely wish those few jerkoffs that engage in that kind of behaviour would STOP IT.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Gilbert is, was, and always will be terrible at hockey. Cashed in on one good season where i believe he racked up a lot of secondary assists.

Petry was too far up the line up. Couldn't handle top 3 minutes consistently. Little I have followed him he has still struggled with consistency overall in Montreal. If his play is improving again I wonder if it's his contract year?

Schultz is the best of the bunch ironically although he had zero chance of playing well in Edmonton. Still not the great impact top 3 option I thought he would be.

I agree but the underlying issue with all 3 still exists. We are playing our defence 1 or 2 positions higher than they are capable of playing.

Didnt Gilbert get waived shortly after he left town?

Petry wasnt going to sign here unless we massively over paid.

Schultz should have been given help not traded. As soon as we traded him we were looking to find someone just like him and still havent found an answer. Another stupid Chia trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->