Prospect Info: The Big Mac Thread - Part 2 - Extra Bacon Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark24

Jun 17, 2013
wonder if Big Mac can work his way onto team USA?
I know he didn't do so well at the last camp, I think he was even cut before the end of it or something if my memory serves me correctly. His game seems to have taken a huge step in the right direction since then, so I think he must have at least worked himself back into the conversation.

Spectaculard

What am I a fruit?
Jan 25, 2007
Montreal
wonder if Big Mac can work his way onto team USA?
I know he didn't do so well at the last camp, I think he was even cut before the end of it or something if my memory serves me correctly. His game seems to have taken a huge step in the right direction since then, so I think he must have at least worked himself back into the conversation.

If he keeps this up they'd be crazy not to give him a call.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
1 secondary assist for McCarron so far tonight. London up 3-2
McCarron on the ice for 2 goals against, -1.

Pr3Va1L

Jul 2, 2008
You can clearly see the puck bounce off from him on that 6th goal. Should have been 2G and 4A...

Yep, the puck clearly changes direction in the last replay.

Such an intelligent player, though. In both preseasons, he struck me as a guy that always makes the right decision with the puck.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
You are entitled to your opinion, but don't lie about age to make your point. He's a 19 year old, just like all the 1995's drafted in 2013.

Go back and do some research - most of the 1st round were either late 94's or born in the first 4 months of 95. It's like that almost every year. McKinnon and Barkov were the exceptions, but they were exceptional talents.

Well, my point is still valid. McCarron is almost 20 yo. playing mostly against kids that are 16-18 yo.

Most scouts agree that the 17-18 yo. seasons are the most important in their evaluation of a player. And it's even more important for a big guy like McCarron. What the big kids do in juniors as 19-20yo. is almost irrelevant because the physical advantage they have just supersedes everything else.

Let's not fool ourselves, lots of big guys were PPG players or more during their 19-20yo season in junior.

I'm not saying he won't be good. All I'm saying is that what he does this year is almost irrelevant in terms of future projections. Scouts could tell you better than me if his game will translate to the NHL. I certainly hope it does.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well, my point is still valid. McCarron is almost 20 yo. playing mostly against kids that are 16-18 yo.

Most scouts agree that the 17-18 yo. seasons are the most important in their evaluation of a player. And it's even more important for a big guy like McCarron. What the big kids do in juniors as 19-20yo. is almost irrelevant because the physical advantage they have just supersedes everything else.

Let's not fool ourselves, lots of big guys were PPG players or more during their 19-20yo season in junior.

I'm not saying he won't be good. All I'm saying is that what he does this year is almost irrelevant in terms of future projections. Scouts could tell you better than me if his game will translate to the NHL. I certainly hope it does.

Yet historically we see big men take longer time to develop because they are just kids who are developing their coordination with their bigger bodies. Not to mention that with Big Mac we saw what he could do in the pre-season and he started out well, had a shoulder injury and never really recovered until late in the season/play-offs. Big Mac then goes on record as saying that he did not train enough and wasn't in shape for the season.

You can't just be cut and dry with developmental patterns. Right now we are seeing Big Mac do what Tinordi did for the London Knights. Add into that how impressive Big Mac has been this season and how great he has looked in pre-season games. There's reason to be optimistic that he can develop into a complimentary player that addresses a specific need of the team.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's kind of funny seeing people question how he will play in the NHL after his current start when the one thing that was clear about McCarron, even when everyone was doubting him, was how well he played in exhibition for the Habs against men.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yet historically we see big men take longer time to develop because they are just kids who are developing their coordination with their bigger bodies.

I would agree if we were talking about the NHL or even AHL.

A 6'6 230 pounds guy will dominate juniors in his 20 yo year. Anything less and you can bet your house the guy doesn't make it.

Look, I don't want to be Debbie Downer. What we see from McCarron right now means that he's more than likely to make it to the NHL.

All I'm saying is that it's way too early to pencil him as a guy who will produce a bunch of points in the NHL. He's more likely to be an effective 4th liner than a 2nd liner. And there's no problem with that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I would agree if we were talking about the NHL or even AHL.

A 6'6 230 pounds guy will dominate juniors in his 20 yo year. Anything less and you can bet your house the guy doesn't make it.

Look, I don't want to be Debbie Downer. What we see from McCarron right now means that he's more than likely to make it to the NHL.

All I'm saying is that it's way too early to pencil him as a guy who will produce a bunch of points in the NHL. He's more likely to be an effective 4th liner than a 2nd liner. And there's no problem with that.

So you're telling us it's too early to pencil him as a certain type of player but you pencil him in as a 4th liner....so which one is it, can we pencil him in or not??

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
So you're telling us it's too early to pencil him as a certain type of player but you pencil him in as a 4th liner....so which one is it, can we pencil him in or not??

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't project his current production straight away at the NHL level.

A whole lot of "energy players" with size had PPG seasons in juniors and never got more than 20-30 points in the NHL.

I don't even understand why I have to explain that concept here on HFBoards. Big guys will do well in their last season in juniors. It's been like this forever.

kazmanian

Sep 30, 2014
If this guy can turn out to a dwight king or bryan bickell for us I'll be happy. He could be better or he could be worse only time will tell.

Oct 22, 2012
All I'm saying is that we shouldn't project his current production straight away at the NHL level.

A whole lot of "energy players" with size had PPG seasons in juniors and never got more than 20-30 points in the NHL.

I don't even understand why I have to explain that concept here on HFBoards. Big guys will do well in their last season in juniors. It's been like this forever.

I keep thinking of Boyle, but you're right. It's way too early to say what he will be.

What we can say is that he is learning the proper way to play in the OHL. If you've been watching the London games it's like he is a different player. Doesn't get rustled after whistles, positioning is way better, and can make a pass. So, on the other side of the coin he could also learn to produce in the NHL.

Potential is all im sayin'.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Who cares who was right or wrong about McCarron either way none of you will know for another two or three years and all of you have been wrong at some point about another prospect.

I've been pretty stoked about him since we drafted him even after a bad first year. I don't care if there are prospects taken after him that have better careers statistically, I feel like what he has potential to bring to the Habs will generate more Ws than some winger putting up a few more goals and assists a year. We got a ton of prospects with some offensive upside, give me the 6'5 beast that's going to intimidate the other team and hammer them in the corners.

Also would be nice to have a forward that can actually screen a goalie on the PP and he's the type of guy that can have some pretty good playoff runs. Let's just be excited that combining camp and last weekend he's starting off on the right giant foot this year.
2nd your thoughts

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

True, you are spot on! It's almost impossible to ACCURATELY project a player, some big players blossom much later (Chara, Bertuzzi, Pacioretty), and some not at all (Antropov, Brendl, this list can go on forever). All I'm saying is you cannot discount someone who's high on a player and thinks he might be top 6 player, you just never know, especially if he's 1st round draft pick, just my opinion

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
Lol the guy already reached half his point total from last year in only 8 games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The guy can't win.

He doesn't score, he's likely to be a bust.

He does put up points, he's just one of several prototypes doing the same.

:skeptic:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I get what brainiac is getting at.

It's a wait n see where he'll fit in, and he'll def get a shot.
I think he ends up contributing to the club, it'd just where he'll fit that we gotta wIt n see on

His skill set projects to " potential" in a few different roles.

I'm hopeful Hes a Reg player after a year (or 2) in the A with a call up or two before he earns a permanent locker and montreal address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad