The better career: Larionov vs Oates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Krutov-Larionov-Makarov is the best line i've ever seen. The way they dominated in Europe was insane. I love Oates, but career wise it has to be Larionov.

DBC Tweeker

Jun 25, 2003
Calgary AB
Visit site
Oates, Francis, and even Mike Gartner could all make a convincing case for being the most underrated player of the last 20 years. But to get back on topic, I'd take Larionov over Oates career-wise.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
canucksfan said:
If we are talking about the NHL then Oates easily. If we include international games still Oates but it's close.

How? Has Oates ever even PLAYED in an international game?

NHL? Sure, I will give the slight nod to Oates, but Larionov gets an incomplete grade considering he didnt even come into the NHL until he was 29.

But OVERALL? Larionov has put up very good individual numbers while having TREMENDOUS team success. Cups, Olympics, World Championships, etc... Larionov has been a part of 3 Stanley Cups, 3 Olympic Gold medal winners and numerous other international titles.

Other than total NHL points...what has Adam Oates accomplished that Igor Larionov hasnt?

KOVALEV10*

Higgy4 said:
How? Has Oates ever even PLAYED in an international game?

NHL? Sure, I will give the slight nod to Oates, but Larionov gets an incomplete grade considering he didnt even come into the NHL until he was 29.

But OVERALL? Larionov has put up very good individual numbers while having TREMENDOUS team success. Cups, Olympics, World Championships, etc... Larionov has been a part of 3 Stanley Cups, 3 Olympic Gold medal winners and numerous other international titles.

Other than total NHL points...what has Adam Oates accomplished that Igor Larionov hasnt?

What has Larionov accomplished in the NHL that Adam Oates hasnt other then a stanley cup?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
KOVALEV10 said:
What has Larionov accomplished in the NHL that Adam Oates hasnt other then a stanley cup?

You mean other than THREE Stanley Cups, which every NHL player I've ever heard interviewed has said is the pinnacle of any carreer, much preferred to individual stats. Besides, the message you initially replied to also mentioned Larionov's accomplishments at the Olympics and World Championships. But hey, at least Oates racked up more points per game in the NHL.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
kdb209 said:
The Wings didn't buy or steal him, but they did get him at a discount in trade. He pretty much demaned a trade after the Sharks cut Sergei Makarov in training camp - he felt the Sharks didn't even give Sergei a chance. And Ray Sheppard was one of the least valuable 30 goal scorers in the league - a locker room cancer who the Wings were glad to get rid of.

I still love the unnamed player who referred to Sheppard and Craig Janney as Carcinoma and Melanoma.

Remember also that Larionov was already 35 years old when he came to the Wings. Back then, most players didn't paly until age 40, so most people thought that he was maybe a year or two away from retirement. Who knew he'd try to take on Gordie Howe? :dunno:

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
KOVALEV10 said:

Did you read my post? I gave Oates the odd for NHL career. But these people who are giving total career success to Oates over Larionov are simply foolish. Larionov has done EVERYTHING a professional hockey player can possibly do.

Oates racked up alot of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad