GDT: The best team ever. 1977 Habs-Bruins game 4. RDS 7PM.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I was a channel flipper, so I've heard every Canadian broadcaster of Habs games. I still remember Gilles Tremblay's first game as color commentator. He was nervous and got fooled by his own monitor. He commented on a Habs goal, analyzed how the scoring chance was produced and moved on to the next play. However, instead of looking at the ice after his intervention, he looked at the monitor which replayed the same goal. He blurted out, something like "oh, and they score again, on a very similar play!" :laugh:
Amazing that you remember that, so do I.

Reactions: Runner77

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Funniest thing about that era is I think 99% of the goals wouldn't go in against the goalies/defense of today.
Actually even the way most of them skate...it's so awkward and not fluid.
I didn’t remember how bad a skater Steve Shutt was, and he managed to score so many goals. I guess playing with Lafleur kinda helped ;)

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I didn’t remember how bad a skater Steve Shutt was, and he managed to score so many goals. I guess playing with Lafleur kinda helped ;)
This must be the skates at the times. And no power skating trainer. When I watch them it's seem only Lafleur, Robinson, Lemaire and Gainey have some speed and good skating technique. Small players like Shutt and Jarvis "run" on the ice instead of fluid skating. They do little steps. I remember Keith Acton was a very good skater but he couldn't score like Shutt. The last game I saw (the '79 final game) I was amazed how good Lemaire was. His skating was good, his shooting too and his general play on the ice.

This is the game when Don Cherry made his famous move with his arms, the one opening his commentary moments at cbc, he did it after the ref called a penalty and that penalty was 100% justified. It was a clear hooking.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Every time I go back and watch the habs games from the 70s-80s I can't get over how bad the skating and especially goaltending was and I mean that in a general sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad