GDT: The best team ever. 1977 Habs-Bruins game 4. RDS 7PM.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Observe the Big Three.

Easy to notice them. No one else plays on D. :laugh:

Edit.

It's so much night & day between the RDS feeds and TVAS. Though Lecavalier made me chuckle a bit earlier in the game as he said "the Habs have 4 players injured missing the game, as you know, we have been knowing them for the last 2 days".. but doesn't say who they are. (where was I two days ago?)

Reactions: angusyoung

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Amazing they were playing with no helmets, (avec pas d'casque, lol) so we can see their afro heads, lol.
Amazing also Habs were not a smurf team : the Big 3, Mahovlich, Lambert, Wilson, Chartraw, Gainey.
It's late in the PO so both teams were a bit tired, the pace of the game is not so fast. It wasn't the modern skates of today and the clothes were heavyer with the sweat. Good to ear again Lecavalier and Tremblay analyst : "il est très fort le long des bandes", lol.

Cheevers was a pretty good goalie, he's very underestimated.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Amazing they were playing with no helmets, (avec pas d'casque, lol) so we can see their afro heads, lol.
Amazing also Habs were not a smurf team : the Big 3, Mahovlich, Lambert, Wilson, Chartraw, Gainey.
It's late in the PO so both teams were a bit tired, the pace of the game is not so fast. It wasn't the modern skates of today and the clothes were heavyer with the sweat. Good to ear again Lecavalier and Tremblay analyst : "il est très fort le long des bandes", lol.

Jarvis, Houle, Tremblay and Mondou was about it for smurfs and even they don't quite fit the bill.

Watching that game was a constant flow of Déjà vu's. Individual plays that somehow got carved in memory. :nod:

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Jarvis, Houle, Tremblay and Mondou was about it for smurfs and even they don't quite fit the bill.

Watching that game was a constant flow of Déjà vu's. Individual plays that somehow got carved in memory. :nod:
The systems of play changed a lot. You can add Shutt and Lemaire in the smurfs, and Lafleur can fit the bill in the smurfs. Roberts was a smurf too. Tremblay wasn't tall like others but he was built like a tank. Jarvis was exactly like a Guy Carbonneau defensivly, except Carbonneau was able to score when he had the occasion.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Oh no, RDS are gonna broadcast rehearsals of Mini-Putt. OMG !! :eek::popcorn::help:
If I remember, the commentor Serge Vleminckx was making birdies sounds like winning goals in over-time play-offs. A must see once in a lifetime.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The systems of play changed a lot. You can add Shutt and Lemaire in the smurfs, and Lafleur can fit the bill in the smurfs. Roberts was a smurf too. Tremblay wasn't tall like others but he was built like a tank. Jarvis was exactly like a Guy Carbonneau defensivly, except Carbonneau was able to score when he had the occasion.
Actually, all players were smurfs next to Larry Robinson. :laugh:

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Actually, all players were smurfs next to Larry Robinson. :laugh:
Yes back in the day...........not anymore that's for sure.
Big Bird was beyond a force...amazing player and leader. Grew up for a few years in the Halifax area, saw him play for the Nova Scotia Voyageurs, man what a team he was on, and what a player as a kid....took his talent to Montreal and never looked back!!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Funniest thing about that era is I think 99% of the goals wouldn't go in against the goalies/defense of today.
Actually even the way most of them skate...it's so awkward and not fluid.

Reactions: rickthegoon

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
What a difference 40 or so years makes.When they won the cup in those days it was ho hum.Such talented team for so many years.I can remember watching games on Saturday night and it wasn't a question of who would win but by how many goals we would score.Really really sad how far we have dropped,embarrassing really.What a pityfull excuse we have for a team the last couple of decades.Imagine haven't won a cup in 27 years.Can't even make the playoffs for crying out loud.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What a difference 40 or so years makes.When they won the cup in those days it was ho hum.Such talented team for so many years.I can remember watching games on Saturday night and it wasn't a question of who would win but by how many goals we would score.Really really sad how far we have dropped,embarrassing really.What a pityfull excuse we have for a team the last couple of decades.Imagine haven't won a cup in 27 years.Can't even make the playoffs for crying out loud.
What we live today is an embarrassement when I think of what it was before. We don't even make the playoffs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The way to do these classic games is to get a player who played in it to help narrate the game.

Sportsnet had game 2 of the habs/kings from 93, but what made it good tv was that Gretzky was narrating it at the same time.

It's a great way to add value to a game that you already know the outcome to.

Anyways, I can never get used to how everyone pours off the bench after a goal. I'm sure it felt normal back then.

Also, I have forgotten how common it used to be, even in the 90s, to have plays whistled down when the puck gets stuck in a scrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad