Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
AlexAlex

big gap

Romanov

big gap

Samorukov

I don't see Samorukov as having anywhere near the upside of the other two. He'll be a good bottom pairing D or maybe a 4. Romanov has potential, but needs to prove himself. Playing 10 minutes per game isn't going to do that. AlexAlex is one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

I'd also throw in a few other Russian D prospects before Samorukov, and potentially Romanov.

That big gap wasn't seen at WJC honestly... I always vote for kids, who play on pro teams and do it well, in such polls. But I hope all three will become top4 NHL defensemen and help Russia to win a lot of international tournaments.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
All three are excellent prospects. Russia hadn’t had so many quality D prospects until very recently. I voted for Romanov. I was impressed by his play during the last WJC: he just made it look easy. I love players with high game IQ.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That big gap wasn't seen at WJC honestly... I always vote for kids, who play on pro teams and do it well, in such polls. But I hope all three will become top4 NHL defensemen and help Russia to win a lot of international tournaments.

WJC is a short tournament. I don’t think it’s always a good barometer.

And I do agree that I prefer players who play against pros, but only if the talent disparity is nonexistent. In my opinion, I don’t think the other two are that close in talent to Alexeyev.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
WJC is a short tournament. I don’t think it’s always a good barometer.

And I do agree that I prefer players who play against pros, but only if the talent disparity is nonexistent. In my opinion, I don’t think the other two are that close in talent to Alexeyev.

Well, best WJC Ds usually become very solid players at least.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Has anyone actually seen more than 5 games of each player?

Believe it or not many people have. Not including world Juniors, I know of many habs fans who I meet up with at whl games that have been meeting up to watch the storm playoff games. I've also shared KHL streaks with them. It's not at all rare to watch juniors eh.

Reactions: Chr1s97

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
My boi Romanov at the top, baby! If he can pan out, that would be a steal in the 2nd round.

Alexeyev is a beast. Slight edge to Romanov, tho, after the WJC.

Samorukov is looking good for sure, but I don't think his potential is as high as Romanov and Alexeyev. Maybe it's just me and he'll end up better, but I don't think so.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My boi Romanov at the top, baby! If he can pan out, that would be a steal in the 2nd round.

Alexeyev is a beast. Slight edge to Romanov, tho, after the WJC.

Samorukov is looking good for sure, but I don't think his potential is as high as Romanov and Alexeyev. Maybe it's just me and he'll end up better, but I don't think so.

What makes you think his potential is lower?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What makes you think his potential is lower?

He doesn't possess much offensive upside. He doesn't have the puck skills that those other two have. And I don't think either is going to be a PP1 guy in the NHL, but I think they have at least above-average ability with the puck. I think Samorukov is about average with the puck.

A big deal was made over his playoffs in the OHL last season, as if his game had all of a sudden shifted and he'd added a skill gear, but I still have yet to see a skill gear in his game, and I've long been a fan. When he was a draft-eligible player, I thought he had high potential. I still think he'll be an NHL'er and I think he's probably not much worse than a second round pick in a re-draft, but a skill part to his game hasn't developed. There was too much box score watching at the end of last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad