The best Russian D prospect atm

Who's the best Russian D prospect

• Total voters

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wait ? Where did I say that ? Surely YOUR judgement comes from that, because there's no reasons to put Samorukov above the other two, let alone Alexeyev who's looked better, much better than Samorukov.

And just a tidbit of info, all three players have played on the same team at the WJC19, and Samurokov played behind both Romanov and Alexeyev (And wasn't even close to them in performance, lets be honest.), they played together for the U17 and Samurokov was behind, he played with Alexeyev at the u17 2017 and was behind Alexeyev, they also all played at the u20 selects this year.. And guess who was behind Romanov and Alexeyev ?
You downplayed him because he didn't hit a PPG, and said he's the worst out of them because he has the least impressive stats and because he "clearly has the least talent". Meaning you haven't watched him at all.

And I hate to break it to you, but you can't just judge players based on international tournaments. That's how you end up with Puljujarvi.

Reactions: Numz

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Someone that realizes Alexeyev could be exactly that, or a number one Dman because he has way better potential ?
Someone that realizes Romanov has outplayed Samurokov everytime they were on the same team ?

What do I know though, I am not a Oilers fan.
You're opinions have zero basis, lol. You've used the terms "way better potential" and "clearly has less talent" but haven't said a word about what makes Samorukov worse. Could you please give an actual analysis? What is it that makes him worse than the others?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Someone that realizes Alexeyev could be exactly that, or a number one Dman because he has way better potential ?
Someone that realizes Romanov has outplayed Samurokov everytime they were on the same team ?

I wasn't quoting you or making any comparisons with Alexeyev or Romanov. lol Just describing what I think of Samorukov. I think he's like hybrid of Nurse/Chabot. Not saying he will ever hit that upside

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I went with Alexeyev and was surprised to find I was in the minority.
Does that realy surprise you? See post #5 Most habs fan voted for Romanov, Oilers fan voted for samorukov, couple of objective fans voted for Alexeyev. Most third party fans voted for Alexeyev who looks like to be the more complete of the 3 so far in all 3zone + the fact that Romanov is hard to watch + compare because of how little he played with his par. A vote like this should almost only happen after they all have NHL games under their belt or simply compare alexeyev vs Samorukov since they both play in the CHL.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hard to go against the kid that was the the best D at the U20... As an 18 y old! Incredible accomplishment.

Romanov all the way, with Alexeyev as a close 2nd, he was really good as well against the best of his age class.

Samurokov had a great 2nd half of the season a really strong team in the OHL, but Romanov was better than him at the WJC, and he is also more than a year and a half older (June 1999 vs Jan 2000).

All 3 are good prospect, but gimme the kids that dominate at 18 y old.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Hard to go against the kid that was the the best D at the U20... As an 18 y old! Incredible accomplishment.

Romanov all the way, with Alexeyev as a close 2nd, he was really good as well against the best of his age class.

Samurokov had a great 2nd half of the season a really strong team in the OHL, but Romanov was better than him at the WJC, and he is also more than a year and a half older (June 1999 vs Jan 2000).

All 3 are good prospect, but gimme the kids that dominate at 18 y old.
Your math is off. That's only half a year older

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Your math is off. That's only half a year older

True, my mistake.

Still Alexeyev and Romanov are in their D+1, while Samurokov is in is D+2... And like I said, IMO it is really close between the first 2 (1a vs 1b), but Samurokov is a step behind... Mainly because of their play at the WJC U20, I must say. Does not mean Samurokov does not ends up the best of the 3, but that seems unlikely to me. My money on the first 2.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
True, my mistake.

Still Alexeyev and Romanov are in their D+1, while Samurokov is in is D+2... And like I said, IMO it is really close between the first 2 (1a vs 1b), but Samurokov is a step behind... Mainly because of their play at the WJC U20, I must say. Does not mean Samurokov does not ends up the best of the 3, but that seems unlikely to me. My money on the first 2.
That's fair. I think it's also worth noting that Samorukov played in the WJC twice. Both times he played a shut down role. Also played a shut down role in Guelph prior to the Merkley trade and finally now asked to do everything from shutting down opposition to providing offense. Since then his offense skyrocketed.

Reactions: Michoulicious

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
lol how the f*** is Samorukov not running away with this yet ?

Samorukov is an absolute beast

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's true. So far there's three Oilers fans who've posted and chose the Dman with the least impressive stats and the least impressive pedigree, all because he got hot at the right time in the OHL playoffs.

Samorukov has had the lesser career so far and he clearly has the least talent, there's no reasons to go for him.

Should we mention every OHL Dman that didn't hit a PPG in their D+2 year ? Because that list is going to be much, much longer.

Habs fans are gaga over Romanov because of a handful of good games at the WJC but 60 games of elite hockey from Samorukov is right there in front of you and he “clearly” has the least talent? Oooookay.

As soon as he didn’t have to babysit Merkley anymore he exploded.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Habs fans are gaga over Romanov because of a handful of good games at the WJC but 60 games of elite hockey from Samorukov is right there in front of you and he “clearly” has the least talent? Oooookay.

As soon as he didn’t have to babysit Merkley anymore he exploded.

You don't have to downgrade Romanov and Alexeyev to make your point. Alexeyev was clearly the higher touted prospect coming into the season. Romanov and him were the top 2 defenders for Russia at WJC, and Bragin was not afraid to use them in all situations (PP, PK, end of game) even if they were younger, which quite unusual.

Romanov ended winning the best D in the tournament award an 18 y old. Before Dahlin (who won it amazingly at 17), Karlsson was the last player to do that.

Alexeyev outproduced Samurokov while playing on a bad team... Samurokov is playing on one of the top team in Canada, especially since the Guelph trade deadline acquisitions. Romanov was the youngest player (by more than 3 years) on a cup caliber (and winning) team in the KHL, and got as expected minimal ice time.

All three are good prospects, don't come here and say otherwise... Some people are going to pick Romanov/Alexeyev over Samurokov for good reasons. I know I would, for now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You don't have to downgrade Romanov and Alexeyev to make your point. Alexeyev was clearly the higher touted prospect coming into the season. Romanov and him were the top 2 defenders for Russia at WJC, and Bragin was not afraid to use them in all situations (PP, PK, end of game) even if they were younger, which quite unusual.

Romanov ended winning the best D in the tournament award an 18 y old. Before Dahlin (who won it amazingly at 17), Karlsson was the last player to do that.

Alexeyev outproduced Samurokov while playing on a bad team... Samurokov is playing on one of the top team in Canada, especially since the Guelph trade deadline acquisitions. Romanov was the youngest player (by more than 3 years) on a cup caliber (and winning) team in the KHL, and got as expected minimal ice time.

All three are good prospects, don't come here and say otherwise... Some people are going to pick Romanov/Alexeyev over Samurokov for good reasons. I know I would, for now.

And it’s great they’re doing those things, but all of your arguments are skewed for your player while downplaying everything Samorukov did. He had the most points in the playoffs by an OHL defenceman since Ryan Ellis, and offense isn’t even his strong suit.

The WJC’s are a great tournament and yes Romanov and Alexeyev were higher touted and drafted coming into this season but Samorukov has found an entirely new gear and hasn’t looked back, particularly since the WJC.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
And it’s great they’re doing those things, but all of your arguments are skewed for your player while downplaying everything Samorukov did. He had the most points in the playoffs by an OHL defenceman since Ryan Ellis, and offense isn’t even his strong suit.

The WJC’s are a great tournament and yes Romanov and Alexeyev were higher touted and drafted coming into this season but Samorukov has found an entirely new gear and hasn’t looked back, particularly since the WJC.

I tend to value more players that perform well against the best players, especially as underagers. The fact that players like Suzuki/Durzi/Samurokov produced as they did in the second half of the season + PO on a stacked team as older players in the OHL impresses me less. That's it.

You would really pick Samurokov more than Alexeyev or Romanov?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I tend to value more players that perform well against the best players, especially as underagers. The fact that players like Suzuki/Durzi/Samurokov produced as they did in the second half of the season + PO on a stacked team as older players impresses me less. That's it.

You would really pick Samurokov more than Alexeyev or Romanov?
Using this logic I would assume you would of voted for bouchard in his poll.

Yet you didn’t.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Using this logic I would assume you would of voted for bouchard in his poll.

Yet you didn’t.

Hahaha you are tracking me down, internet police? ;)

I might have, it was 2 months ago and I started the thread myself because I thought they were similar D prospects, close in age and in production. Brook was excellent in his D+1 season as a young June draftee after coming back from injury, even if his production was not on Bouchard level. I fell his progression was remarkable. He was considered with Ty Smith for best D in the WHL (which Smith won, deservedly so)... And I would not say Moose Jaw was a stacked team at all.

I was not impressed by either in the WJC, but Bouchard has proven being better since then (OHL + AHL PO). Not afraid to say so. Now do you want me to browse your voting history on Oilers players? ;)

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
All 3 prospect are doing well . Drafting means very little when it comes to developing . It a best guess and hope for the best . I am not voting because any of the 3 could end up as the better player .

Samorukov was voted best defensive D by OHL coaches
Best hitting D
3rd best PK D

Sportnet rate him the 2 best player at memorial cup .

Now like us on here it is opinion base but where these players were drafted should not even enter the conversation . If drafting was the be all end all Weber would not have been drafted in the 2nd round and Yakupov and Puljujarvi would have left the Oilers with 2 top 6 wingers that we need so badly . Also very few fans follow these players unless they were drafted by the team you are a fan of . Good luck to all these young players on a long healthy career in the NHL .

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I voted for Alexeyev but I honestly have not seen enough about Samurokov to judge him fairly. His stat line looks good.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Wait you mean you a Montreal fan think your prospect is better no way.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
AlexAlex

big gap

Romanov

big gap

Samorukov

I don't see Samorukov as having anywhere near the upside of the other two. He'll be a good bottom pairing D or maybe a 4. Romanov has potential, but needs to prove himself. Playing 10 minutes per game isn't going to do that. AlexAlex is one of the most underrated prospects in hockey.

I'd also throw in a few other Russian D prospects before Samorukov, and potentially Romanov.

Reactions: Kotkaniemi15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad