Speculation: The best NHL player your team would offer for Jeff Skinner

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Isn't Fabbri almost as good as Skinner? At least somewhat close, if you factor in potential for further development at his young age? Blues fans all of a sudden want to trade like 4/5 years of Fabbri RFA control for one year of Jeff Skinner, AND add Berglund?

Am I misjudging how good Fabbri is, or are Blues fans really iffy on how good he will be post-injury, or... what's the deal here?
That's the trade off....giving up the potential Fabbri has for a known commodity. Fabbri did look like a 25+35 great skating winger. BUT if he doesn't come back close to what he was pre injury, he'll struggle. I absolutely love Fabbri but moving him makes sense in some cases. Berglund is just a Berglund. He's very useful, but he's a 20ish goal 3rd liner. We have Steen for that and he'd be hard to move

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
That's the trade off....giving up the potential Fabbri has for a known commodity. Fabbri did look like a 25+35 great skating winger. BUT if he doesn't come back close to what he was pre injury, he'll struggle. I absolutely love Fabbri but moving him makes sense in some cases
What if he comes back fine, and over the next year or two increases that by 5G 5A per year?

30-40-70 homegrown talent for one year of Jeff Skinner...

Maybe I'm just crazy here, but I wouldn't even think about risking that without talking to Skinner about an extension first.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What if he comes back fine, and over the next year or two increases that by 5G 5A per year?

30-40-70 homegrown talent for one year of Jeff Skinner...

Maybe I'm just crazy here, but I wouldn't even think about risking that without talking to Skinner about an extension first.
Then the Blues will look like a bunch of idiots.... its risky. I think the Blues would look to extend Skinner though, so while the premise of the thread is 1yr only, it wouldn't be a concern to me.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Zuc + or Vlad ++

Rangers shouldn't even be involved. They need to rebuild. If they're going to trade those players, it should be for picks and prospects, not Jeff Skinner. If not, the organization shouldn't have written that letter to the fans. This would contradict everything they've done since February.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sabres only have players I wouldn't offer or cap dumps/bottom 6 players. Rodrigues is probably our best NHL-player not named Eichel/Reinhart/ROR/Scandella/Ristolainen... I bet most haven't even heard of him. That's depressing.

Players that might hold mid round draft pick value: Okposo 50% retained, McCabe, Girgensons, Rodrigues, Bogosian 50% retained.

A serious attempt at an offer would be:
We take on the Darling contract and pray to God he rebounds
Asplund (projects as a really good 3C, could have a shot at the NHL in 19/20)
Bogosian 50% retained (at that cap hit he's an ok option for the third pair)
Girgensons (change of scenery, doesn't hold any value)
2nd round pick in 2018 (no 32)

We're a bad fit when it comes to Skinner since we're rebuilding. He should return a 1st+ from a contender or a similar player on a one year deal.
Rodrigues is super underrated, love that kid.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Unfortunately, I think you are correct.

Skinner's value is hard to gauge.

I don't think it's that hard to gauge. He's basically valued at a 1 year rental. If people are expecting a return as if he was signed for 4 years, then sure, they are going to be disappointed. At the deadline, Skinner's value is likely a late 1st and a decent (but not great) prospect. His value might be a little better than that right now, but also could be a little less. Here's why:

At the deadline, there are 16-20 teams that are in the playoffs/playoff hunt and by then, most of them know what they need to improve the team and at least 12 of them probably know their pick will be mid-late 1st round (non-lottery). So you probably have 10-15 teams that could use a guy like Skinner as a rental and might be asking for him.

That number could be significantly less today. Today, there are 17 teams that didn't make the playoff and have top 17 picks in the NHL. In addition, 6 first round picks from playoff teams have been traded to non-playoff teams: Ottawa (from Pitt), NYR (from Bos and TBL), Chi (from NSH), DET (from VGN), STL (from WPG). Most non-playoff teams are unlikely to want to trade for 1 year of Skinner so now the pool is maybe a half-dozen teams right now.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I think there's definitely room for a deal there. Some insider info seems to indicate Hoffman will be on his way out this summer and Skinner would be a good alternative.

I'm struggling to understand why the Sens would do that. Hoffman is signed for 2 years, Skinner for 1. Then, after next year, the Sens are going to have to sign Duchene, Skinner, and Karlsson who will all want pretty big raises. Unless they need space for Karlsson/Duchene so want Hoffman off the books and will let Skinner walk, but that seems like poor asset management to me. Not sure this makes sense to the Sens.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
I think it is the biggest mistake that Carolina would make if they traded Skinner. Trade value is not high atm and I still don't trust other guys we have to score except Aho.

Teräväinen, Staal, Lindholm, Rask, McGinn etc. - probably most of the other roster will have same or worse seasons next year.

Zykov, Svec?, Foegele might produce close to none.

I have a feeling that Skins will have 30-35 goal season next year wherever he plays and if not with us we're gonna be out of the playoffs once again.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think there's definitely room for a deal there. Some insider info seems to indicate Hoffman will be on his way out this summer and Skinner would be a good alternative.
Biggest problem there is that Skinner has a full NTC this year and in his final year. So he'd have to ok going from one dumpster fire into another. I doubt he does that and I know I wouldn't in his position. If he is traded before the deadline, it will be to a team he thinks can make the playoffs or he has some other sentimental attachment to. Did he grow up in Ottawa?

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Andre Burakovsky, straight up? Be willing to add Madison Bowey or a 2nd or something to sweeten the deal?

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'm struggling to understand why the Sens would do that. Hoffman is signed for 2 years, Skinner for 1. Then, after next year, the Sens are going to have to sign Duchene, Skinner, and Karlsson who will all want pretty big raises. Unless they need space for Karlsson/Duchene so want Hoffman off the books and will let Skinner walk, but that seems like poor asset management to me. Not sure this makes sense to the Sens.

Why exactly do you think Skinner would deserve a pretty big raise? Guy has been making 6 mil the last 4 years. Do you think he is worth more than that??

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Why exactly do you think Skinner would deserve a pretty big raise? Guy has been making 6 mil the last 4 years. Do you think he is worth more than that??

Yeah, "Pretty big" was probably the wrong phrase, but it depends on what he does this season. Skinner scored 37 goals last season. If he has another 35+ goal season, then yes, I expect he'll ask for more than $6M. Andrew Ladd got $5.5M and was much older and never as productive as Skinner. Okposo got 50 points on the coattails of Tavares and got $6M. etc..

Even with his warts, Skinner has averaged 29G / 82 games through his career, has hit 30+ goals 3 times, and is still young. If he has another big season this coming season, I can see him asking for a raise from the team he is on. If the team he is on doesn't give it to him, then he would probably go to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad