Speculation: The best NHL player your team would offer for Jeff Skinner

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...has-work-to-do-for-leafs-to-improve-1.1085174

Unsurprisingly, most of the discussion has related to Slavin, Pesce and Hanifin. What’s largely been ignored is this juicy quote about Jeff Skinner, said at ~14:35: “Skinner’s getting moved, I think.”

Now, Waddell (Dundon) and co. have not come out and suggested that a retool or rebuild is coming. However, it is evident that they do want to change the makeup of the roster. Is there an opportunity somewhere to make a change of scenery trade using Jeff Skinner?

I’m aware of Skinner’s contractual status. That may mean that the NHL player coming back from the team you follow is a 4th liner. That’s okay; I'm asking for your best guess at what your GM would do in this circumstance. To my fellow Canes fans, don’t get triggered here; this hopefully turns out to be more informative than the drivel in the other thread.

Operate under the assumption that he is not coming with an extension; this is for 1 guaranteed season of Jeff Skinner only.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
For only one season guaranteed? Patrik Berglund. Before someone freaks out, I don’t think that’s fair, but for one season for sure of Skinner based only on an NHL player, Berglund is probably the best I’d offer from the Blues.

Reactions: iSophagus

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
No. I want to see what he does without BP in his way, now that we cleared the way for him. Also I'd like to see what Rod does with him next year. Unless we get something stupid huge for him...

I don't necessarily disagree, but that was a rather direct statement by McKenzie. We may need to start bracing ourselves for a trade.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
For only one season guaranteed? Patrik Berglund. Before someone freaks out, I don’t think that’s fair, but for one season for sure of Skinner based only on an NHL player, Berglund is probably the best I’d offer from the Blues.

Right. This is not your typical proposal thread. I'm interested in knowing what's out there. This is about what your team has to offer, not necessarily what Carolina would accept.

Reactions: iSophagus

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Probably Andrew Shaw, Artturi Lehkonen, Charles Hudon or Paul Byron.

None come close to the value of Skinner, but I wouldn't move Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Danault (due to C issues), Drouin, Pacioretty, Petry, Weber, Price, Juulsen (due to lack of depth at D) or Mete (same) for Skinner.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
I don't necessarily disagree, but that was a rather direct statement by McKenzie. We may need to start bracing ourselves for a trade.
McKenzie was quoting what was said at the end of the season, that was to basically calling out the team for falling short. I don't believe he literally meant he would trade the whole team. It was a warning that no job is safe, unless you earn it...like Aho.
People are taking it much too literal. I'm sure he'll not trade the likes of Slavin or Pesce, for instance. He needs to watch what he says in the future, cuz it gets picked up in the outside media and causes **** we don't need.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
McKenzie was quoting what was said at the end of the season, that was to basically calling out the team for falling short. I don't believe he literally meant he would trade the whole team. It was a warning that no job is safe, unless you earn it...like Aho.

I'm not referencing the broader comment that's getting play. I'm talking about this quote: “Skinner’s getting moved, I think.” That's as definitive of a speculative statement as you can get.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Sabres only have players I wouldn't offer or cap dumps/bottom 6 players. Rodrigues is probably our best NHL-player not named Eichel/Reinhart/ROR/Scandella/Ristolainen... I bet most haven't even heard of him. That's depressing.

Players that might hold mid round draft pick value: Okposo 50% retained, McCabe, Girgensons, Rodrigues, Bogosian 50% retained.

A serious attempt at an offer would be:
We take on the Darling contract and pray to God he rebounds
Asplund (projects as a really good 3C, could have a shot at the NHL in 19/20)
Bogosian 50% retained (at that cap hit he's an ok option for the third pair)
Girgensons (change of scenery, doesn't hold any value)
2nd round pick in 2018 (no 32)

We're a bad fit when it comes to Skinner since we're rebuilding. He should return a 1st+ from a contender or a similar player on a one year deal.

Reactions: Chainshot

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
I think PIT would be a decent trade partner. I know theyve shown interest in Skinner before. Letang + ??? for Faulk + Teuvo + Skinner makes some sense. Guentzel probably off the table in any trade scenario but PIT probably comfortable moving Sheary/Rust/Sprong + picks to get the most out of the remaining years of Crosby/Malkin

Doyoulikeapples*

We stole Tavares
Feb 5, 2018
Wouldn’t offer any player off current leafs roster (assuming komarov jvr bozak are gone). Probably a prospect like bracco

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think PIT would be a decent trade partner. I know theyve shown interest in Skinner before. Letang + ??? for Faulk + Teuvo + Skinner makes some sense. Guentzel probably off the table in any trade scenario but PIT probably comfortable moving Sheary/Rust/Sprong + picks to get the most out of the remaining years of Crosby/Malkin

That + better be one of Crosby or Malkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad