" The Best Moment in Hockey History "

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I am surprised some people view the 2010 olympic finals as their favorite moment...

I wonder why.. Home soil, overtime, Sidney crosby, Gold medal game, it had the recipe for an amazing moment, and it was. if the USA won that game, it would possibly be just as big as 'Miracle on Ice" for the Americans.

You are saying Henderson's goal was the greatest moment in hockey history and backing it up by saying it was rated the best moment in Canadian sports in the 20th century. The Miracle on Ice is rated the best moment in American sports history and we have a much better sports history overall than Canada.

This is a tainted view. first off, Canada has a MUCH bigger hockey history than the USA; the USA is a toddler compared to Canada's hockey history.

Another reason why this view is tainted, is because this is coming from an American perspective. I wonder why Americans don't view the '72 Summit Series as one of the most important games in the history of hockey, or sports? Maybe it's because America wasn't involved in the game?

The same goes for Canada and Miracle on Ice.

-----------------------------------------

Personally, the best moment in my lifetime is 2010 Golden Medal Game.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Second place, the "miracle" was already done in 1972.

If:
- Your goaltending choice is between a prime Esposito or a prime Dryden, and
- You don't need Wayne Cashman, Gilbert Perreault, Red Berenson, Stan Mikita, Mickey Redmond, Vic Hadfield, Marcel Dionne, and Rick Martin because the rest of the lineup is good enough, then
- You basically forfeit the right to call anything that happens "a miracle"

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The only problem I have with putting the Henderson goal up there is that it served the rescue Canada's self-image and self-esteem from its own hubris. That moment doesn't have nearly the significance if there wasn't so much over-confidence before the Summit Series started. It lessens the moment in my mind. That goal is absolutely one of the most important in hockey history, but it does not trump Miracle as the "best" of them. Also, :laugh: at calling anyone who doesn't remember the Henderson goal a young kid. Someone born the day after is in their 40s.

I'll put in a homer vote for the 1994 Rangers Cup and the presentation to Messier. That was the longest Cup drought in league history that was broken and the organization was considered to be cursed. It's the sport's equivalent of the Red Sox winning the World Series (oddly, the White Sox broke a longer drought the next season, but the Red Sox one is bigger) or if the Cubs ever win one. The pure joy on Messier's face at the presentation was incredible and in a lot of ways, tells you everything you need to know about why we love hockey. The Maple Leafs have 7 more years before matching the length of the Rangers drought, but does anyone consider them cursed with anything other than bad management?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The only problem I have with putting the Henderson goal up there is that it served the rescue Canada's self-image and self-esteem from its own hubris. That moment doesn't have nearly the significance if there wasn't so much over-confidence before the Summit Series started. It lessens the moment in my mind. That goal is absolutely one of the most important in hockey history, but it does not trump Miracle as the "best" of them. Also, :laugh: at calling anyone who doesn't remember the Henderson goal a young kid. Someone born the day after is in their 40s.

I'll put in a homer vote for the 1994 Rangers Cup and the presentation to Messier. That was the longest Cup drought in league history that was broken and the organization was considered to be cursed. It's the sport's equivalent of the Red Sox winning the World Series (oddly, the White Sox broke a longer drought the next season, but the Red Sox one is bigger) or if the Cubs ever win one. The pure joy on Messier's face at the presentation was incredible and in a lot of ways, tells you everything you need to know about why we love hockey. The Maple Leafs have 7 more years before matching the length of the Rangers drought, but does anyone consider them cursed with anything other than bad management?

As a life-long Red Sox, its not even close.

You kids in your 40s have a lot to learn.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So only underdog stories count now?

Canada being 'supposed' to win is actually one of the reasons why the Summit Series was so significant. It completely changed the perception of the skill level of European players and was really the first time we got to see a long drawn out series between the two best hockey teams on the planet. It was a unique and defining moment in hockey history.

I just don't think a semi-final matchup in a single elimination tournament that didn't even feature the best players the World had to offer is the best moment in hockey history. It wasn't even a championship clinching game. I mean, if simple being an unlikely upset (which let's be honest in a single hockey game isn't hugely shocking) is criteria for best moment in the sport's history then Belarus over Sweden in 2002 and Poland over USSR in 1976 are at least as impressive (with the former of the two being in a much more competitive hockey tournament). People are more infatuated with the narrative than they are with its actual significance to the sport. Most people probably couldn't even tell you who the USA played in the final matchup, or who the medalists were in the Olympics before and after 1980. Why? Because 80s era Olympic hockey wasn't really that important.
I think you miss the context behind what made it such a huge moment. Political context made that game much bigger than it would have been without, and I don't think you can just ignore that.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I think you miss the context behind what made it such a huge moment. Political context made that game much bigger than it would have been without, and I don't think you can just ignore that.
The same can be said for the Summit Series, only that series would have been extremely important to the history of the game even if it weren't for political hostilities.

Do you really think 'mutually assured destruction' was something that only weighed on the minds of Americans? Canada may not have been one of the two superpowers of the Cold War but that doesn't mean they weren't a part of it. There's a reason Canada and the US collaborated on things like NORAD during this time span, Canada was the massive landmass between these two rival superpowers and it wasn't a secret that they were aligned with the Americans.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I wonder why.. Home soil, overtime, Sidney crosby, Gold medal game, it had the recipe for an amazing moment, and it was. if the USA won that game, it would possibly be just as big as 'Miracle on Ice" for the Americans.

This is a tainted view. first off, Canada has a MUCH bigger hockey history than the USA; the USA is a toddler compared to Canada's hockey history.

Another reason why this view is tainted, is because this is coming from an American perspective. I wonder why Americans don't view the '72 Summit Series as one of the most important games in the history of hockey, or sports? Maybe it's because America wasn't involved in the game?

The same goes for Canada and Miracle on Ice.

-----------------------------------------

Personally, the best moment in my lifetime is 2010 Golden Medal Game.

Read my post again and tell me where I said we have a better hockey history than Canada.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Lol are you kidding with the Summit Series? A team comprised of Phil Esposito, Bobby Clark, Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, Gilbert Perreault, Frank and Pete Mahovlich, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Ken Dryden etc. is not a Miracle victory.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It gets tricky. Obviously I am going to pick things that are personal to me. Henderson. Mario in 1987. 2002. The Crosby Golden goal. These are great moments, and were great games and classic games. They belong on lists like this. But more importantly what moments carry a broader appeal? Not that these ones don't, but I tend to say that Ray Bourque lifting up the Stanley Cup has got to be up there as one of the best "moments" ever. If you are a Bruins fan chances are you are happy, even if you resent him you still loved Bourque and were happy to win. Maybe Devils fans don't like it as much, but to look objectively that has to be a moment where it was a near unanimous moment where the hockey world had goosebumps. Bourque lifting the Cup, even the irritating Gary Bettman had a nice line before he presented the Cup..............."there is someone who has waited to win this for a long time.............." you couldn't help but recognize this as a great moment. His son is crying in the background watching his dad finally win, I mean come on, you have to be made of stone if that didn't touch you.

To me Bourque is a moment similar to Lou Gehrig's "I am the luckiest man in the world" speech. Almost everyone was touched by it.

Now, since the 2001 finals didn't have that one single play that stands out like the rest I think you have to pick a moment within the game, a certain play that got everyone talking, even to this day. Something like the "Shot Heard Round the World" from the 1951 Pennant race with the Giants and Dodgers. To this day fans still get goosebumps.

So I might just go with things like Orr's 1970 goal, Henderson's goal, Crosby's goal (hey it was the Olympics on home ice), the Miracle on Ice, The Nystrom Islanders goal. Although I realize something like this is rarely universal. But Sakic-to-Bourque in 2001. Wow, that gets you.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Lol are you kidding with the Summit Series? A team comprised of Phil Esposito, Bobby Clark, Jean Ratelle, Brad Park, Gilbert Perreault, Frank and Pete Mahovlich, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Ken Dryden etc. is not a Miracle victory.

The thread is about greatest moments in hockey, not miracle wins.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
Steve Yzerman lifting the Cup in 1997. I remember seeing a bunch of grown men and women crying their eyes out and not understanding the significance of it (I was 5). But looking back, I get goosebumps.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The same can be said for the Summit Series, only that series would have been extremely important to the history of the game even if it weren't for political hostilities.

Do you really think 'mutually assured destruction' was something that only weighed on the minds of Americans? Canada may not have been one of the two superpowers of the Cold War but that doesn't mean they weren't a part of it. There's a reason Canada and the US collaborated on things like NORAD during this time span, Canada was the massive landmass between these two rival superpowers and it wasn't a secret that they were aligned with the Americans.

"Mutually assured destruction" was only one facet of the political context surrounding that game. The United States was at their lowest point in their history, from the early 70s to the 1980 game. Kent State, Watergate, Vietnam, Three Mile Island, the gas crisis, the Iran hostage crisis, and probably other issues that I can't think of off the top of my head. There was much more surrounding it than just USA vs. Russia and just the game itself.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'm with this guy. That best of three tournament final between Canada and the Soviets was hockey at the highest level I've ever seen it played. The Lemieux series winner meant much more to me than the Henderson or Crosby goals.

Glad to hear I'm not alone. I understand the importance of 72, but there were key players missing. Had we lost, Canada would have made a lot of excuses. I understand the long odds of 80, but Buster Douglas beat Tyson, these things happen.

87 felt like a true best-on-best. And we had two of our all-time best in their primes (meaning no disrespect to Mr. Howe and Mr. Orr). For me, there could be no finer pairing in hockey history than Gretzky and Lemieux. Had we lost in 87, it would have ripped my heart out.

As an aside, I felt the same way about the 79 Challenge Cup when we lost. The NHL's best were there, and it hurt when we lost.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
If you think differently, it just proves you are a young kid and haven't seen enough yet.
No, it doesn't prove that at all, it only proves that someone has a differing opinion. I'm no young kid and I've seen plenty, and the Summit Series to me is tainted by Canada's arrogance before the series, and their barbarism later on.

I think my favourite hockey moment is the standing ovation for Maurice Richard at the final game at the Forum. It didn't seem it would ever end. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Here's a link.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm with this guy. That best of three tournament final between Canada and the Soviets was hockey at the highest level I've ever seen it played. The Lemieux series winner meant much more to me than the Henderson or Crosby goals.

Agreed.

That moment should be right up there near the top.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Mutually assured destruction" was only one facet of the political context surrounding that game. The United States was at their lowest point in their history, from the early 70s to the 1980 game. Kent State, Watergate, Vietnam, Three Mile Island, the gas crisis, the Iran hostage crisis, and probably other issues that I can't think of off the top of my head. There was much more surrounding it than just USA vs. Russia and just the game itself.

The game was so big that it was not covered live in the US.

There was little interest in it until the US won. I'm sure if the game had gone as expected there would have been merely highlights on the nightly Olympic coverage.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

Amazing moment, yes. But, seriously... if Canada didn't win it would be a surprise. And it is not like the US was ranked near the bottom like in 1980. They were arguably a top 3 hockey nation.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
No, it doesn't prove that at all, it only proves that someone has a differing opinion. I'm no young kid and I've seen plenty, and the Summit Series to me is tainted by Canada's arrogance before the series, and their barbarism later on.

I think my favourite hockey moment is the standing ovation for Maurice Richard at the final game at the Forum. It didn't seem it would ever end. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

Here's a link.

That was surely magical, but the greatest standing ovation in the history of the greatest franchise in Hockey is surely when a young Saku Koivu returned from Cancer. You will surely never find an 8 minute ovation of such magnitude in Hockey history.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
The game was so big that it was not covered live in the US.

There was little interest in it until the US won. I'm sure if the game had gone as expected there would have been merely highlights on the nightly Olympic coverage.

Well the game didn't, that's the point. And I don't think anyone is arguing that hockey is/was bigger in the US than Canada, otherwise every single "greatest" moment would be the all-time best Canadian moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad