" The Best Moment in Hockey History "

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not in hockey you don't.

The eight game series became a match against east vs west, free world culture vs the communist culture, and when Henderson scored all of North America, Canada and the US cheered. It was the defining moment in hockey.

You could say the same thing about the Miracle on Ice. I understand the Henderson goal being a bigger deal to Canadians, but to say it's not even close is pretty absurd to be honest.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
8min Standing-O for Koivu's return from cancer

I love how they try to tell the crowd that it's time for the National Anthems... but they just start cheering louder.

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
As a Kings Fan:
Alec Martinez 2OT Cup Winning Goal
-Though it wasn't the first cup it was much more emotional and surprising. Both cup winning games tell the whole story of each playoff year in my opinion. in 2012 the Kings went up 3-0 in every series and in the cup winning game scored 6 goals. it was special of course, but you just knew it was gonna happen. 2014 however, this was an emotional rollercoaster.

As an American:
Miracle on Ice

As a Hockey Fan:
The greatest pass in Hockey history, Sakic to Borque

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Second place, the "miracle" was already done in 1972.

No, the "miracle" was a bunch of college kids beating the best team in the world.

'72 was significant for alot of reasons. An underdog story is not one of them. It was the Canadian National Team. They were supposed to win.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
No, the "miracle" was a bunch of college kids beating the best team in the world.

'72 was significant for alot of reasons. An underdog story is not one of them. It was the Canadian National Team. They were supposed to win.

I think both sides felt they were superior, going into the tournament. Everyone on this side knew what the NHLers were capable of, while the Soviets were more of an enigma, no one knew them. But they were equally dominant, running roughshod over their competition as well.

If it wasn't for Clarke taking out their best forward, I still think the Soviets would have had the edge.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think both sides felt they were superior, going into the tournament. Everyone on this side knew what the NHLers were capable of, while the Soviets were more of an enigma, no one knew them. But they were equally dominant, running roughshod over their competition as well.

If it wasn't for Clarke taking out their best forward, I still think the Soviets would have had the edge.

Both sides were fantastic, yes. But they're still the Canadian National Team. Winning a hockey game will never be a miracle for Canada.

The Summit Series being equally significant for Canadians because of the cultural implications mentioned before is fair.

To say the Summit Series was significantly more important, or that the Miracle is inherently secondary because the Series came first just doesn't work. 1980 was a completely different animal.

RoyalDuder

Dec 26, 2011
NY
Miracle on Ice, clearly. Not only one of the most defining moments in all of hockey, but top 5 in all of sports history.

Pegi90*

Mar 3, 2014
Helsinki, Finland

I actually were there. I saved for a long time to get the possibility to get to see Selanne live once. Totally worth it.

i was coming to post these, beautiful.

2000 cup finals jason arnott's goal stands out as well and of course brodeur breaking sawchuk's shutout record and roy's win record.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Miracle on Ice.

Not even close to Henderson's goal.

Ok you realize Hendersons goal was when the Russians had never played a tournament against NHL players before , and the Canadians had a ridiculously overstacked roster chock full of NHL superstars.

The 1980 Red Army team was a well oiled group who had just trounced the NHL in the 79 summit series , considered the best team in the world.................then lost in the Olympics of all places to a bunch of American amateurs who were at that point misfits.

You think Hendersons goal was a bigger moment in sports than that?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I am surprised some people view the 2010 olympic finals as their favorite moment...

I'm not. Nostalgia is great, and as such some people always think the older the memory the "cooler" it is. But sometimes, things that happened recently can be better.

It's hard to top 2010 from a Canadian perspective - so many things that were just "right" about it.

- Before 2010 - Canada had never won a single gold medal on Canadian soil (all sports combined, not just hockey). We had 0 gold in Montreal 76, and 0 gold in Calgary 88.

- Tons of pressure for Canada in hockey specifically to show the world we were #1 and could win gold, after fiasco in 2006

- Not only did we win gold - that gold medal (remember, before 2010 0 golds ever in canada) put us over the edge as the MOST Gold medals EVER, in the HISTORY of the winter olympics, by a country in a year. (we didn't have the most total medals, but that gold made us most gold medals in history for one olympics)

- Sidney Crosby scored. Love him, or hate him, and no offense to any other player, but to me had someone like Doughty or Bergeron scored instead of Sid, it might have been just a tiny bit less "special". When someone is billed as the best in the world, and he delivers in the most important situation possible, it feels special. And no, it wasn't the most beautiful goal of all-time, but that's ok, I think it's cool that Sid got it. I'm sure if Russia had won the gold in Sochi in a similar scenario, having Ovechkin score an OT winner to clinch would have been more memorable than anyone else.

There were just a lot of things going that made this pretty special.

When I saw this thread title, this was my first moment i thought of too. I'm sure there are other moments that are more important/memorable for different people - but if you are serious about being surprised that people view 2010 as important - don't be. It was special.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Miracle on Ice, clearly. People talking about Canada's wins in 72 or 10 are being widely inconsistent. Canada was SUPPOSED to win every time. AAMOF it is precisely because of this attitude I cheered against Canada in 98. Hasek's save on Shanahan is my second favorite hockey moment of all. Just to watch Cherry choke on his own vomit.

My favorite moments:

1. Yzerman raising the Cup in 97, then passing it to Larionov and Fetisov.
2. Hasek's save on Shanahan in 98.
3. Kovalchuk's OT goal in 08.

Most important moments:

1. MOI
2. Game 1 of the 72 SS. It showed the world there are other people besides Canadians who can play hockey. USSR was heavy underdogs. Before the game people in Russia only discussed which score would they lose by. Brezhnev asked Bobrov if he can guarantee they won't lose the series 0-8, which Bobrov did.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
my funniest moment came back in Edmonton in the 80's. I had been dating a girl for awhile and she told me that her parents where out of town for the night and she said I could stay over. Next morning when I got up I found two nhlers sitting at the breakfast table, eating breakfast and having a discussion. Mym girlfriends father worked for the oilers and some players had a key to the house so the could crash or a few hours before heading to the rink (she lived by northlands) and I immidiately went into panic mode thinking that the father had sent them to check up on her and I asked "what are the chances that we pretend this did not happen." One guy smiled and said "Depends" and pointed to the dinning room where a two women were getting dressed. "If you see nothing--we see nothing"--Found out later my girlfriend's father had a rule about the boys bringing girls over to use the spare bedrooms--wasn't aloud.

Second story is when I was at a buddies house and when I looked out back I saw one of the top oilers of all time parking his jeep next door and heading to the apartments behind my buddies house--I said to my buddy that pretty run down place for a player to live. Turned out the players girlfriend lived there. Problem was that two blocks away--was an ex-girlfriend of the player and 7am the next morning she saw the black jeep and took ac knife to the roof and what not. My buddy saw it. When the player came back to his jeep he asked my buddy if he saw who did it--my buddy goes "A real mad girl." Player thought for a moment "Blond or Brunette?" my buddy goes "Brunette with Glasses." The player swore and said "Damn, thought she was out of town". Turns out the new girl was best friends with the other girl and the players was doing what oiler players did back in the 80's.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It would have meant something to me if Bourque had done it as a Bruin, and not as a mercenary. So no, even though I liked that AV's team, I don't think that's a great moment to me.

My all time favourite moment is lafleur tieing the game against the bruins in 79 with gallivan making the call.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The 1981 Canada Cup final was the best moment ever in hockey history. Just for the balance!

The 1980 Red Army team was a well oiled group who had just trounced the NHL in the 79 summit series , considered the best team in the world.....

The Soviet national team, actually. 1979 Challenge Cup. And they didn't look very well-oiled to me in the 1980 tournament (needed some last period heroics to beat Finland and Canada, for example).

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
my funniest moment came back in Edmonton in the 80's. I had been dating a girl for awhile and she told me that her parents where out of town for the night and she said I could stay over. Next morning when I got up I found two nhlers sitting at the breakfast table, eating breakfast and having a discussion. Mym girlfriends father worked for the oilers and some players had a key to the house so the could crash or a few hours before heading to the rink (she lived by northlands) and I immidiately went into panic mode thinking that the father had sent them to check up on her and I asked "what are the chances that we pretend this did not happen." One guy smiled and said "Depends" and pointed to the dinning room where a two women were getting dressed. "If you see nothing--we see nothing"--Found out later my girlfriend's father had a rule about the boys bringing girls over to use the spare bedrooms--wasn't aloud.

Second story is when I was at a buddies house and when I looked out back I saw one of the top oilers of all time parking his jeep next door and heading to the apartments behind my buddies house--I said to my buddy that pretty run down place for a player to live. Turned out the players girlfriend lived there. Problem was that two blocks away--was an ex-girlfriend of the player and 7am the next morning she saw the black jeep and took ac knife to the roof and what not. My buddy saw it. When the player came back to his jeep he asked my buddy if he saw who did it--my buddy goes "A real mad girl." Player thought for a moment "Blond or Brunette?" my buddy goes "Brunette with Glasses." The player swore and said "Damn, thought she was out of town". Turns out the new girl was best friends with the other girl and the players was doing what oiler players did back in the 80's.

These are great

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

So only underdog stories count now?

Canada being 'supposed' to win is actually one of the reasons why the Summit Series was so significant. It completely changed the perception of the skill level of European players and was really the first time we got to see a long drawn out series between the two best hockey teams on the planet. It was a unique and defining moment in hockey history.

I just don't think a semi-final matchup in a single elimination tournament that didn't even feature the best players the World had to offer is the best moment in hockey history. It wasn't even a championship clinching game. I mean, if simple being an unlikely upset (which let's be honest in a single hockey game isn't hugely shocking) is criteria for best moment in the sport's history then Belarus over Sweden in 2002 and Poland over USSR in 1976 are at least as impressive (with the former of the two being in a much more competitive hockey tournament). People are more infatuated with the narrative than they are with its actual significance to the sport. Most people probably couldn't even tell you who the USA played in the final matchup, or who the medalists were in the Olympics before and after 1980. Why? Because 80s era Olympic hockey wasn't really that important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad