The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

May 13, 2005
That explains it but I don't really get your logic. Holmstrom is in the org now and what's done is done. As an Isles fan I would think you'd be wishing for him to succeed. I didn't love the pick either but I'm a Holmstrom fan now.
Of course I am wishing for him to succeed big time, and I'll be rooting for him like crazy. That being said, though I've been wrong more than I've been right, there have been draft moments where I just feel I know a mistake has been made. Like with Leduc, Cammarata, Reinhart, and several others. I even remember back in 1984, I was a 21 year old punk, and I knew drafting Duncan Mcpherson was a bad move, I remember telling my dad, he will never make it in the NHL. Same thing with Dean Chynoweth in 1987 (over Joe Sakic for God's sake). Sometimes you can just tell it's a HUGE mistake. I feel Holmstrom over Connor McMichael and others will go down as a huge mistake.

Not trying to hijack the thread, let's get back to UBS. I hope, one day, Holmstrom is carrying the Stanley Cup over his head at UBS Arena at Belmont Park.

Reactions: Capt Obvious

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Would love for someone to clarify what the "and development on Long Island" part of the deal is going to be. If not part of Malkin's mall then I have no idea. I mean dos Malkin/OVG own another property somewhere on Long Island that they could make part of this deal?

Islanders Belmont Park Arena Naming Rights Going To UBS

By Karn Dhingra and Mark J. Burns
Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Oak View Group has secured the largest naming rights deal for a standalone NHL arena. The venue developer and investment firm sold the naming rights to the Islanders mixed-use Belmont Park Arena and development on Long Island for $350 million to Swiss investment bank UBS, according to sources familiar with the deal.

The 20-year deal naming rights deal, which will pay out $17.5-18 million annually, has incentives related to the team’s performance that could push the deal's total value to nearly $400 million, sources said. As a part of the deal, UBS will also have an entitlement to the largest premium club in the arena.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2020/07/Islanders-UBS.aspx

Because they used the term “ mixed-use” I’m assuming they mean the Belmont park property including the Hotel and Mall. Belmont is on Long Island.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I watched the video in the article and it's a lot nicer inside. I suspect the outside was designed because of where the stadium is, as opposed to how Miami made the Marlins stadium. It looks like the retractable roof in Texas was designed to withstand a strong tornado while the one in Miami was designed to sustain a Cat 5 hurricane like Andrew. I didn't see any mention but it looks like solar panels might be on that roof too and you probably can't have a flat roof with panels. One thing I don't understand is why build a new one when the old one wasn't that old. I guess the summer heat issue was hurting attendance.

Glad to hear the inside looks nice because the outside looks like crap.

I saw an artist rending of what Belmont will look like...very cool.

New York Islanders Arena at Belmont Now Has a [ingloriously sponsored] Name

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So Belmont's naming rights are going to a Swiss bank? Basically, we are shrouded in hitmen, gangster, and every other degenerates bank roll.
Now that Lou will have a secret Swiss bank account connection, I think we'll see some of our players with "problem contracts" suddenly deciding to retire voluntarily.

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
I wonder if NY will finally pass sports book if they will put it in arena, Track Grandstand, or build a facility. It was packed at Monmouth Park near me in NJ.

Axe Man

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2009
Nearby
I wonder if calling it the UBS Coliseum was ever a viable option? That would have been cool.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
UBS Arena sounds nice and simple.

Having just watched the first season of "Fear City" the Netflix documentary series on the Mob in NY in the 70s/80s which partly centers on their involvment in the building industry, at one point the "Coliseum" is mentioned. I take it that may well be the NVMC? Fingers crossed they don't make that much from Belmont :naughty:

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Some people are never satisfied lol I love my fellow isles fans lol

Oh I've been saying this since the plans come out...And we're not even talking about the mall yet.

And I live up in Westchester so I have to drive, but I don't care. I'll take a LYFT every time.

Hopefully Isles allow those who park on the north lot next to Elmont LIRR to take shuttle buses to the rink

Belmont Park Arena project 9.23.2019.png

Meanwhile,

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I forget, I thought I saw Ledecky say we will have the most parking out of any NHL team. I'll google it

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I forget, I thought I saw Ledecky say we will have the most parking out of any NHL team. I'll google it
Cannot find it, I think it was recent. I'll go through this thread but I don't subscribe to Newsday so idk if it was in there.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I’m glad this fact isn’t lost on our owners. The Barn was well known to be one of the loudest buildings in sports. Hope they try and use whatever they can to have similar Acoustics To the coliseum.

Missed this, very nice compliment

Reactions: SI90

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Possible nicknames:
  • The Vault (bank connotations)
  • The Stable (obvious sequel to The Barn)
  • The Plug (because who isn't making the mistake of saying USB?)
  • The Ubbs (Pronouncing the initialism)
  • The Coliseum (old habits die hard, and I still call Citifield Shea)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I don't see how that's possible unless they're building a parking garage and/or underground parking.

Last edited:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Was able to listen to the interview. Here's a summary...

Comments from Ledecky:
  • Repeats that they're taking no public money to build the project
  • The roof will be up by the end of the year and still on schedule for 21-22
  • Tim/OVG/overall group approached rock groups and their managers to ask what they would want to see when performing in a new arena. Said no one had done that before.
  • Going to be an intimate bowl with seats close to the ice.
  • Repeats that Ovechkin told him NVMC was his favorite arena to play in because of the fan noise, and "we're transporting that over to the UBS arena..."
  • ...But leaving behind the 30 minute wait to use the bathrooms. More bathrooms than any other arena in the NHL. (thank god)
  • ...Also getting rid of 20 minute lines to get a "cold hot dog." You'll be able to get your food through an app "in under 2 minutes."
  • In response to Covid each NHL team is creating their own policies to deal with downtime in-between games in Toronto/Edmonton. Anders Lee is in touch with the NHL to come up with this plan for the Islanders.
  • Was asked why other owners aren't as out in public as he is. Said he/Malkin wanted to be "good stewards" of the Islanders and that's why he walks around the arena to hear what fans want to say and gets to hear things like, "Hey knucklehead - You gotta retire Tonelli's/Goring's jerseys."
  • Never talks to Lou about hockey moves as he is the "czar" of hockey for the Isles
  • Says no free agents wanted to play for the Isles because they played in a dump. Now we're moving to a state of the arena with a hall of fame GM/coach and now Isles are elevated to the discussion of players wanted to play here now.
  • Feedback from fans has been terrific. End of the day the fans are the ones paying the player's salaries. They're the ones who love the team. We love the team too, but in the context of putting the best possible product on the ice for our fans.

Comments from Leiweke:
  • Where the arena is located puts the Islanders within an area of 10 million people, meaning if they were put into a city of 10M people they'd be the 4th largest NHL Market.
  • 1.5 billion privately from the Islanders/Oak View Group.
  • You needed to privatize the arena to get the deal done.
  • Most expensive arena ever built in NY history.
  • "The arena of the next century."
  • Referenced story when he was trying to get the Staples Center done and had opposition groups against it he called "CAVE people" - Citizens Against Virtually Everything.
  • Tells people that OVG is not that creative or ingenious - "They're just really good thieves."
  • Currently building the 2 most expensive arenas in NHL history (Seattle/Belmont)
  • Group/reach is so big that has ability to share ideas/technology. For example has a guy who is running the security in Toronto/Edmonton right now and will be implemented in Belmont/Seattle.
  • Seemed to infer there will be technology in new arena where you can go in to a mini store and grab food and leave without having to pay (like Amazon technology will automatically charge your credit card via your phone)
  • Can't make long-term decisions because of the fear of the last few months. Things will come back bigger and better and it's a godsend that Bettman/players extended the CBA so there is 6 years of stability/predictability.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I really love our owners. Ledecky does a tremendous job representing the Isles and these guys don't bullshit. They put their balls on the table getting this arena and Lou and Trotz etc.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
God this makes me excited!! Could possibly create that coliseum atmosphere with the crowd on top of you.

• Going to be an intimate bowl with seats close to the ice.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Possible nicknames:
  • The Vault (bank connotations)
  • The Stable (obvious sequel to The Barn)
  • The Plug (because who isn't making the mistake of saying USB?)
  • The Ubbs (Pronouncing the initialism)
  • The Coliseum (old habits die hard, and I still call Citifield Shea)
The vault and the stable both have a nice ring to them.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
I can see it now, “ There’s way too many bathrooms” lol
And too many damn food options, how the hell am I supposed to decide!? Typical islanders stressing out their fan base. I want nachos with cheese from a can, god damnit!!!

Reactions: SI90 and MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad