The Belmont Arena: If Your Construction Lasts More Than 2 Years, Call a Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You don't need to be corrected - You're right on target. We know wang/Ratner had meeting about Barclays when they were in the design phase about the Isles/Nets being co-tenants of Barclays. Of course Ratner and company wanted the Isles there and the original Frank Gehry design called for Barclays to be a full two-sport (hockey/basketball) arena.

In 2009 due to the recession, and no doubt wang saying no to Ratner, they scaled back the project from Gehry's design (which was much more beautiful) and made it smaller (just for basketball) and saved a lot of money. wang was so mindnumbingly blind to Nassau that he tried to get two massive projects done with total obliviousness to how positics work and how to market a vote to the public, so he failed when he could've just jumped on Ratner's coattails earlier and the Isles wouldn't have had to play in an arena where some fans can't see the ice, but an SUV can.

Here's an article from 2009 when Gehry was let go from the project and it was scaled down:

Developer Drops Gehry’s Design for Brooklyn Arena

And here's the kicker line from it:

"If the arena is built, however, it will most likely take more than two years to complete. Unlike the Gehry design, the new arena would not accommodate a professional hockey team."

Little did they know that because he was such a failure with his other arena attempts, wang would have to come crawling back to Ratner when it was too late and shoehorn the Isles into what was then only a basketball arena. From there you know the rest.

All I can say is that it is a breath a fresh air to have ownership now who not only get it philosophically, but can get things done physically. What they've done in about 3 years is remarkable and should tell you even further what a putz wang was for the 15 years he was "running" the team.

Malkin/Ledecky 2020.

<and would have never gotten their own arena.>

You should add that.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
If you're intimating that wang deserves credit for Belmont happening because he's a total failure it's not going to come from me.

No, not really. I was just saying that sometimes there is better fortune down the road when things don't go your way. I already know how you feel about giving anybody even an ounce of credit when you don't like the job they did. You'd be a perfect wife to somebody, lol.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Justice dismisses Belmont Park lawsuits

Posted May 14, 2020

By Melissa Koenig
A State Supreme Court justice dismissed the Village of Floral Park’s and various Elmont civic associations’ lawsuits seeking to reverse state approvals on the Belmont Park redevelopment project on Monday, clearing all legal hurdles for the $1.3 billion project.

In his 13-page decision, Hon. Roy Mahon noted, “the Court recognizes that the approval of the project goes against the village’s legitimate concerns with respect to the impact on its residents. Nonetheless, the Court’s review is limited to the evaluation of whether the determination was made in violation of lawful procedure, was affected by an error of the law or was arbitrary and capricious or an abuse of discretion.

Accordingly,” he wrote, “the petition is denied, and the motions to dismiss … are granted.

Aubrey Phillips, the vice president of the Parkhurst Civic Association in Elmont said, “I think this is a disappointment to many of us in the community,”

As for the village’s claim that the New York Arena Partners — a consortium comprising the Islanders hockey franchise, Oak View Group and the Wilpon family — submitted a “Master Plan” to state officials before ESD put out a Request for Proposals and designed the RFP with the Master Plan in mind, Mahon said, the village did not have cause to question the RFP process because it did not submit a bid itself.

But Phillips said he disagreed with the decision and claimed that much of the state’s evidence “were lies.” For example, he said, ESD officials claim in court documents that they met with an Elmont community group that no longer exists. “This case was adjudicated in a way that was beneficial to the state,” he said, noting that community members will hold a socially-distanced meeting to determine whether they will appeal the decision, and saying it is “very likely that this case will end up in federal court.”...

I wonder what Phillips is smoking

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
FYI, horse racing (and car racing at Watkins Glen) will resume at Belmont Park on June 4th.

Hopefully construction on the arena will be allowed to resume soon.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
FYI, horse racing (and car racing at Watkins Glen) will resume at Belmont Park on June 4th.

Hopefully construction on the arena will be allowed to resume soon.

A family member is a city electrician and he'll be heading back to work on Monday, so it shouldn't be too far away.

Last edited:

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
It’s too bad they didn’t redraw the county lines, to make Belmont part of queens. That was a great idea.

The Nassau/Queens line in the Belmont Park actually goes through the Belmont Park LIRR, according to NYS.
Belmont Park Layout 6.6.2019.png

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
The Nassau/Queens line in the Belmont Park actually goes through the Belmont Park LIRR, according to NYS.View attachment 346808

Jesus christ

It actually doesn't. My inlaws live 100 yards away. Certain streets are right on red, certain arent It is not a straight line. Please listen when we tell you.......all of belmont is nassau. Please stop. There is no conspiracy. This is a hard read all the time

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Jesus christ

It actually doesn't. My inlaws live 100 yards away. Certain streets are right on red, certain arent It is not a straight line. Please listen when we tell you.......all of belmont is nassau. Please stop. There is no conspiracy. This is a hard read all the time

The map also shows bends in the line, where all the racetrack and parking lots are in Nassau. I also never suggested conspiracy. I thank NYS for providing correct maps.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The map also shows bends in the line, where all the racetrack and parking lots are in Nassau. I also never suggested conspiracy. I thank NYS for providing correct maps.
The border is a jagged line in some parts. Not straight until it gets up to the median along Jericho Tpk/Jamaica Ave. There is a tiny sliver of an access roadway on Belmont property between the railroad spur and the racetrack's turn that lies in Queens. That's it. 99.999% of the property lies in Nassau County.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
The border is a jagged line in some parts. Not straight until it gets up to the median along Jericho Tpk/Jamaica Ave. There is a tiny sliver of an access roadway on Belmont property between the railroad spur and the racetrack's turn that lies in Queens. That's it. 99.999% of the property lies in Nassau County.

Thanks for the analysis.

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
Correct me if I am wrong,isn't Belmont considered in the LI town of Elmont? If that is the case, that would make it part of LI not queens. Though there are some part of those bordering towns that are in both nassau and queens, I think New Hyde Park might be one of them. The cross island parkway twists and turns through queens/nassau. IDK NY is messed up anyways.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
To appease the locals in Elmont, I think the plan is that fans will throw away their trash and urinate on lawns in Queens.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Correct me if I am wrong,isn't Belmont considered in the LI town of Elmont? If that is the case, that would make it part of LI not queens. Though there are some part of those bordering towns that are in both nassau and queens, I think New Hyde Park might be one of them. The cross island parkway twists and turns through queens/nassau. IDK NY is messed up anyways.
Bellerose is the only one that lies in both. Terrace vs Village

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad