OT: ~The Beer and Nightlife Thread V4~ Bring On the Doppelbock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
Anyone familiar with Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron? The beer manager at a Giant Eagle (a true expert if ever there was one) recommended it, but when I see Dogfish Head, I think IPA's, which are decidedly not my cup of tea.

Lamar Latrell

Jun 25, 2007
Anyone familiar with Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron? The beer manager at a Giant Eagle (a true expert if ever there was one) recommended it, but when I see Dogfish Head, I think IPA's, which are decidedly not my cup of tea.

Their IPAs (especially the 60 minute) are their most famous, but they do some really good stuff. I'm not a big Brown Ale guy, but the Palo Santo was really good. I like all their IPAs, especially the Burton Baton.

I also really liked the Raison D'Etre which isn't as highly regarded, but I like most Belgian Dark Ale's, so it doesn't take much to impress me.

Also, try to get your hands on the My Antonia Imperial Pilsner. Totally changed my view on pilsners.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Picked up a case of this Nugget Nectar stuff since it's all you guys ever talk about and the sign at the distributor said "VERY LIMITED TIME!!" Better be good!

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Their IPAs (especially the 60 minute) are their most famous, but they do some really good stuff. I'm not a big Brown Ale guy, but the Palo Santo was really good. I like all their IPAs, especially the Burton Baton.

I also really liked the Raison D'Etre which isn't as highly regarded, but I like most Belgian Dark Ale's, so it doesn't take much to impress me.

Also, try to get your hands on the My Antonia Imperial Pilsner. Totally changed my view on pilsners.

I love their Burton Baton too. Wish it wasn't so freakin' expensive though.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Larry Sidor, former brewmaster at Deschutes (and creator of the Abyss, the Dissident, Red Chair etc.) started his own brewery in Bend, OR. It's called Crux and it's awesome. If ever in Bend, do yourself a favor and stop in. I sampled 10 beers and not one was bad or even just 'okay'. The food was pretty decent too.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Spent most of the night at Southern Tier, they have a pretty sweet set up for visitors. The place was packed.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
Spent most of the night at Southern Tier, they have a pretty sweet set up for visitors. The place was packed.

I've heard it's very nice there, you head to the game today?

Just got an email from Makers Mark that they're reversing their decision to water down their whiskey, said they had overwhelmingly negative feed back.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Just got an email from Makers Mark that they're reversing their decision to water down their whiskey, said they had overwhelmingly negative feed back.
Nice to see a company listening to their customers, but did they expect anything less from the public? If you are selling out of your product, find a way to increase production, don't dilute the product.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Picked up a case of this Nugget Nectar stuff since it's all you guys ever talk about and the sign at the distributor said "VERY LIMITED TIME!!" Better be good!
Okay you guys were right, this is good stuff. A little hoppier than I usually like my beers but still I can appreciate how well done it is.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, it was a really good time. Much bigger and more organized than most breweries' drinking spots, it was really a full blown bar. Beer was cheap as it should be ($5 12 oz pours of the high abv stuff, plus $3 and $4 pours as well) so I was downing Iniquity and Choklat all night.

We considered going to the game but our babysitter clock was running out at that point. Would have been a good one to go to...

Makers Mark had pretty much committed brand suicide so I'm not surprised. I was a Makers fan and this still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. In the long run it won't affect me too much as there are already several other brands I was wanting to try, and well, bottles generally last me a pretty long time. I don't drink a bottle a week or month, heck usually not even a year as I tend to switch what I'm drinking semi-frequently.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I got a bottle of Westvletern XII (2010) for free this week. I know a guy at work that has a case of them and he asked me for a favor so I jokingly said "I'll do it right now if you bring me a Westy 12". So yesterday he strolls in and places a bag on my desk and walks away. I was shocked. I am exercising a ******** of self control not to drink it.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I got a bottle of Westvletern XII (2010) for free this week. I know a guy at work that has a case of them and he asked me for a favor so I jokingly said "I'll do it right now if you bring me a Westy 12". So yesterday he strolls in and places a bag on my desk and walks away. I was shocked. I am exercising a ******** of self control not to drink it.
Buy a bottle of St Bernardus Abt 12 to compare side by side.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Westy 12 is so hyped that it almost ruins the beer. Gotta try to not think about it when drinking one.

I actually have been hording one as well, might as well drink it tonight...

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers

OH man! I love this brewery. They have some great great beers and a really cool little brewpub. Their imperial black stout, harvest ale and (obviously) pumking are all top-notch. I am really trying to be more hop-friendly, as they just aren't my thing. So I didn't really enjoy their Unearthly, but it is supposed to be quite good.
Their staff is really nice. They took me, my girlfriend and her father around in the middle of the day on an unscheduled tour just because we were decent people who were beer-curious.
Luckily my girlfriend's father lives <15 miles away, so I frequent this place during the holiday (beer) season.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The positive of Pittsburgh bars: ridiculously cheap beer.

The negative of Pitsburgh bars: smelling like an ashtray and increasing your risk of lung cancer.

I think it's a bit archaic that bars around here still allow indoor smoking - like.. really? We're in 2013, guys..

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
The positive of Pittsburgh bars: ridiculously cheap beer.

The negative of Pitsburgh bars: smelling like an ashtray and increasing your risk of lung cancer.

I think it's a bit archaic that bars around here still allow indoor smoking - like.. really? We're in 2013, guys..

What bars are you going to? I can think of a total of three off the top of my head that allow smoking and they're all in SS.

Smoking was outlawed in most bars here, food sales have to be 20% or lower of total sales for cigarettes to be allow. A bar can also get around it by designating themselves as a cigar bar however, think there are a couple other loopholes as well.

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
What bars are you going to? I can think of a total of three off the top of my head that allow smoking and they're all in SS.

Smoking was outlawed in most bars here, food sales have to be 20% or lower of total sales for cigarettes to be allow. A bar can also get around it by designating themselves as a cigar bar however, think there are a couple other loopholes as well.
I was speaking to the Lawrenceville/Bloomfield area mostly - a lot of the bars around there still allow smoking unfortunately.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
OH man! I love this brewery. They have some great great beers and a really cool little brewpub. Their imperial black stout, harvest ale and (obviously) pumking are all top-notch. I am really trying to be more hop-friendly, as they just aren't my thing. So I didn't really enjoy their Unearthly, but it is supposed to be quite good.
Their staff is really nice. They took me, my girlfriend and her father around in the middle of the day on an unscheduled tour just because we were decent people who were beer-curious.
Luckily my girlfriend's father lives <15 miles away, so I frequent this place during the holiday (beer) season.

Awesome. I plan to make a trip up there soon. Southern Tier is probably my favorite brewery overall.

2XIPA is in my top 5 favorite IPA's
2XMAS Ale is in top 3 favorite Winter Warmers/Christmas beers
Pumking - favorite pumpkin beer
Creme Brulee Stout - one of my favorite milk stouts
etc, etc.

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers
Awesome. I plan to make a trip up there soon. Southern Tier is probably my favorite brewery overall.

2XIPA is in my top 5 favorite IPA's
2XMAS Ale is in top 3 favorite Winter Warmers/Christmas beers
Pumking - favorite pumpkin beer
Creme Brulee Stout - one of my favorite milk stouts
etc, etc.

How can I forget the Xmas Ale. That along with the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I like their Oat stout. Never tried the Creme Brulee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad