Status
Not open for further replies.

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
BCdl6AUCMAAzhxL.jpg

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Hopslam > Nugget Nectar this year. Not an opinion I have held in the past.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The OP needs more Goose Island in the North America category.

Meantime, would anyone care to guess what beer is Joe's favorite? Hint: Joe doesn't like IPAs because bitter beers are just as much beneath him as bitter people are.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I've been to Goose Island and they've made plenty of good stuff over the years. The AB purchase still rubs me the wrong way though.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I've been to Goose Island and they've made plenty of good stuff over the years. The AB purchase still rubs me the wrong way though.

Yeah that's my issue. I know it's probably silly, but I want no part in the consolidation of the craft beer industry. So I will not purchase beer from any craft brewery that sells to the big boys.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hopslam > Nugget Nectar this year. Not an opinion I have held in the past.

Agreed.

I had the Victory NATO IPA the other day on tap, very good and citrusy. Was looking for the reason they went with NATO (even has NATO's logo on the tap), but there is no info for this beer in general on Victory's site, let alone an explanation...

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

Wow. I am out of it; I hadn't heard that and it is distressing. Hopefully they don't mess with the recipes. 312 is good stuff.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thoughts on Maker's Mark watering their product down, anyone?

Demand for Maker's Mark has gone through the roof over the past 7 years, so they've decided to reduce the ABV to stretch out the supply (AKA water it down).

I've never been much of a Maker's Mark drinker (I don't drink much bourbon, and when I do it's usually Buffalo Trace), but it's hard to see me buying it any time soon. Considering the move was done to help meet demand it's clear that the price won't go down, and I considered it overpriced for the quality of it to begin with.

Such a shame to see something like that happen. I'm not sure which development is more disturbing...this or Goose Island selling out. I'm leaning towards this one just because of the impact it may have on the industry as a whole...Goose Island (which happened almost 2 years ago) is a more isolated incident. Most of the good, larger microbreweries are on stable financial ground.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The responses I've heard from Bourbon snobs is, they are very disappoint, but saw it coming because it used to be a more rare commodity and now you can get it in places like Fridays and what not. They will not be buying in the future.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Thoughts on Maker's Mark watering their product down, anyone?

Demand for Maker's Mark has gone through the roof over the past 7 years, so they've decided to reduce the ABV to stretch out the supply (AKA water it down).

I've never been much of a Maker's Mark drinker (I don't drink much bourbon, and when I do it's usually Buffalo Trace), but it's hard to see me buying it any time soon. Considering the move was done to help meet demand it's clear that the price won't go down, and I considered it overpriced for the quality of it to begin with.

Such a shame to see something like that happen. I'm not sure which development is more disturbing...this or Goose Island selling out. I'm leaning towards this one just because of the impact it may have on the industry as a whole...Goose Island (which happened almost 2 years ago) is a more isolated incident. Most of the good, larger microbreweries are on stable financial ground.

I think it's BS. I am part of their ambassador program (based on a tip from Dock here if I remember right) and I thought the email on Sunday was a spoof.

This decision comes to down to them making as much money as possible. Sell less until you can meet demand or raise the price. I am not THAT mad but I wasn't a big enough fanatic that I'm not going to go elsewhere from here out.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I've been migrating towards craft liquor anyways.....

On that note - Boyd and Blair vodka from Pittsburgh is absolutely top notch. A must buy.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I want to get into craft liquor, but the costs are prohibitive when it comes to trial and error.

I'm absolutely in love with this stuff
roughstock_montana_whiskey.jpg

...but I can get 3.5 liters of Crown Royal for the cost of a fifth of Roughstock.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I want to get into craft liquor, but the costs are prohibitive when it comes to trial and error.

I'm absolutely in love with this stuff
roughstock_montana_whiskey.jpg

...but I can get 3.5 liters of Crown Royal for the cost of a fifth of Roughstock.

The vibe I get from this liquor is, it should be renamed to "Swanson Select". Just looks like something he'd drink / have stashed in the desk under lock and key for those late nights at the district.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
I think it's BS. I am part of their ambassador program (based on a tip from Dock here if I remember right) and I thought the email on Sunday was a spoof.

This decision comes to down to them making as much money as possible. Sell less until you can meet demand or raise the price. I am not THAT mad but I wasn't a big enough fanatic that I'm not going to go elsewhere from here out.

Yeah, that was me. Was my go to bourbon and will def try the cut down version to see if I can tell the difference. I know it's blasphemy to some, but I normally put a little ice in my bourbon anyway (actually have a sphere ice mold MM sent me as part of their ambassador program, the sphere shape mean the ice doesn't melt as fast).

I've been migrating towards craft liquor anyways.....

On that note - Boyd and Blair vodka from Pittsburgh is absolutely top notch. A must buy.

My mom swears by that stuff, but it's a bit pricey isn't it? My wife and I normally stick with Tito's even though it's made in the cesspit that is Austin, TX (most my family went to OU, hence the hate...).

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Usually see Boyd and Blair sold for 28-30 bucks. Kinda on point with the big name high end brands but of course I prefer to buy a Pittsburgh product. And honestly, it's awesome. A noticeable different taste than what you associate with vodka, in a good way.

DockEllisExperience

Feb 1, 2007
Pittsburgh
Usually see Boyd and Blair sold for 28-30 bucks. Kinda on point with the big name high end brands but of course I prefer to buy a Pittsburgh product. And honestly, it's awesome. A noticeable different taste than what you associate with vodka, in a good way.

I'll have to give it a go, I've had it a couple times when I go to my parents house.

JimsDoors

May 11, 2010
Tri-State County
I see Troegs raised the price of their NN. Bought a 6 last Friday for $12.99. Think I paid a dollar less last year (only had it 2x)

I wouldn't mind shelling out the cash for it if I was a moderate drinker, but.......that's not the case.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Strange situation with Makers Mark diluting their product. It's going to change the flavor when drinking it neat. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, but did enjoy some Makers every now and then.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
But obviously at some point adding water will change the flavor. Seems like they added as much as they thought they could get away with.

The fact that it was done strictly as a cash grab is what bothers me. I read estimates that this could almost instantly add 13M to their bottom line. Have some integrity.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Aria gin is the bomb. Equally as good as Aviation. Very smooth, deceptively easy to drink gin. I had a bunch for free last week. It was so good I'm almost afraid to look up the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad