Post-Game Talk: The Bear eats cookies in Newark: BRUINS WIN 3-1

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Really impressed by Trent F this season. Ullmark was awesome as usual. Loved seeing all those Broons fans jump up when Bergy scored the winner. As Jack says, da Broons travel well. Always have.

What has happened to the PP?

Very, very pleased with 3 points in these two games. Was hoping for only 2. Last night's game seemed like a scheduled loss if there ever was one, but da Broons weren't paying attention. They grinded another win.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Gutsy win. Opponents are not only bringing their A-game, they are game planning. Sure, Pastrnak and Marchand aren't putting up points to expectations recently; but they are basically being shadowed every shift.

There's discussion in the Trent Frederic thread about him playing more relaxed without fear of being benched/scratched. So it was nice seeing him score the game after a boneheaded penalty was costly. Was hoping he'd get an assist for the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

Lindholm on PP1 was a great adjustment; I don't see the 'point' in having a slower Krejci doing essentially the same job. It's also flirting with disaster not having at least one defensive minded player on the PP.

I was thrilled to hear the TNT crew say Kathryn Tappen would be working the late game; she's the best in the business and has been sorely missed. Maybe when Fenway is feeling better, he, or someone in the know, can explain how that happened. I thought her NBC contract wasn't up for a while.
Marchand has always been streaky. If the Bruins can find ways to win with arguably their best player the last couple years scoring just one goal in his last 11 games, they will be just fine when he starts up again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

NEWARK — Two goals and a boatload of saves were all the Bruins needed to overcome some holiday-week fatigue.
They upended the Devils, 3-1, at the Prudential Center after surviving a first-period barrage against netminder Linus Ullmark (29 saves).
“He was spectacular,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “We weren’t. To get three of four points on this trip right after Christmas, it speaks volumes about the character of the team. We weren’t at our best, but we found ways to win.”
And on they roll. Trent Frederic opened the scoring in the first period and Patrice Bergeron delivered the go-ahead goal with 4:08 left, deflecting a wrister from Hampus Lindholm (two assists), who set up the two most critical Boston goals.

The winner was the 1,011th career point for Bergeron, who moved within one of Phil Esposito for third on the Bruins’ all-time scoring list.

“There’s not enough words to describe him,” Montgomery said. “That’s a big-time goal.”

“I know I didn’t really have it to start,” Frederic said. “[The fight] kind of just came, and I thought, ‘Why not?’ It’s been a little bit. It got me engaged, and hopefully helped the guys.”

It was Frederic’s fourth fight this year, and the 13th time a Bruin has dropped the gloves. This is a speed-and-puck-possession team, but one that’s tied for sixth-most fighting majors in the league.

“That was a great fight, wasn’t it?” Montgomery said. “Long. Bahl had maybe the advantage early. Freddy came with a couple hammers at the end.”

The hero was Ullmark, as it typically is when the Bruins don’t have their game. Ullmark was perfect in the opening 40, and made 14 of his 24 stops in the first. He robbed Miles Wood with a breakaway glove stop after Connor Clifton fumbled at his own blueline. He turned aside Yegor Sharangovich after the netminder swatted a loose puck back into traffic. Ullmark was lucky, too, hearing the crossbar ring after Jesper Boqvist fired one off a turnover down low.

“We’re relying on him a little bit too much these last few games,” Lindholm said. “But he’s been outstanding. I joked with him tonight, I should have a few goals [against] if I didn’t have him back there.”

“We showed a lot of character tonight,” Bergeron said. “We stuck with it and found ways to stay in the game. We collapsed a lot. We blocked a lot of shots [20]. We did the things we needed to do to get the result.”

“We need to practice,” Montgomery said. “Have you seen us pass the puck?”

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Holtz played in the game last week, right? Unless I'm having a dementia moment, I thought he actually looked pretty good at one point in that game, getting a good shot off

I'm not sure there's a right way with these kids. They have to break through at the NHL level eventually, regardless of being force fed or seasoning more than vindaloo. We've seen all manner of them fail over the years and, in almost every case, it's because they can't play NHL hockey.

But, as you say, doesn't hurt to change it up. And I'm not sure why they'd burn through his ELC like that with no benefit to the team.
Yes he has looked good at times, and overmatched at others. He has basically been up here for the whole season and has appeared in only 14 games with average ice time around ten minutes. Seems detrimental to a 20 year old.

I liked how Monty gave Freddy props for dropping the gloves and his overall publication admiration for his game.
Clear cut third liner at this point (in a good way) . He's making himself some money this season.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Ullmark saved them early on.

They came out very flat and looked like a tired team for much of the night.

If he doesn’t play out of his mind in the first period, they get run out of the barn.
Im a guy that always said the goalie have a job, stop pucks.

Never feel guilty when your goalie plays outstanding hockey. We thankfully have two that do 90% of the time.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Just had feeling Trent Frederic would score the first goal last night....tossed 4 bucks on it and got me a nice $120 win.

Team looked visibly tired in this game IMO, but once again they somehow grind it out to win, gotta love a team that just doesn't know when to quit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
2 back to backs
7 of 8 points
And we're at post #24
I noticed the short threads even when they lose but not this short. I think collectively people know this team is awesome but I would almost like to see what would happen with a 3 game losing streak.

I also know of at least two other places have popped up for people to talk Bruins hockey.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I noticed the short threads even when they lose but not this short. I think collectively people know this team is awesome but I would almost like to see what would happen with a 3 game losing streak.

I also know of at least two other places have popped up for people to talk Bruins hockey.
but are the posters as smart as we are? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

That'll be in the 2023-2024 season!

Reactions: bruins19

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins goalie Linus Ullmark's stats are absurdly good entering Winter Classic

"There were three saves there in the second (period) that were just unreal," Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery told reporters after the game. "I couldn't believe he saw the puck because I hardly saw it from the bench."

Goaltending is the primary reason for the team's success this season, though. Ullmark and backup goalie Jeremy Swayman played well in 2021-22, but the jump from good goaltending to best-in-the-league goaltending is a meaningful uptick. The Bruins have a .927 save percentage as a team. No other team is above .917 entering Thursday.

That's a massive gap between Bruins goalies and the rest of the league. Ullmark is driving most of that success, and it's why he's the team's MVP and the Vezina Trophy favorite entering 2023.

Reactions: bruins19 and BMC

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Another amazing game. Really fast and enjoyable. The devils are a good match, and fun to watch.
I hope some of our skilled players start simplifying things a bit (make the logical pass rather than trying to be cute).
Ullmark is incredible.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad